Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But did they fix the faces yet?

I dunno about "fixed." They've improved in terms of quality, but they're still lamentable in terms of art design. Fugly as fuck potatoheads, for the most part. They all look like someone's smoothed off the corners of a cube and called it a day.

They've obviously eschewed the idea of making any characters look handsome, pretty or heroic. Can't have that sort of thing in modern games :)

I don't know this one kind of looks like my wife:

View attachment 20346

My family (though my boys are backwards size wise, and of course I'm more handsome than this guy:

View attachment 20347
My condolences.

zapotec

Liturgist
What i liked of solasta was the party banter, it made me think that we really don't need romances, story companions and all that weird stuff

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Popping in to say this game is boring as hell. It has good combat and it's cool to see D&D systems done well, but literally everything else about the game is fucking banal boring shit. Set off the story/immersion/whateverfag alarm bells if you like, but I need SOMETHING other than gameplay to hold my interest. An interesting world, enjoyable characters, exploration, writing, graphics... SOMETHING. This game offers nothing outside of combat. Generic everything, boring and limited dialog, stale as fuck setting, just a big zippo. I have played more action games the last month or so than I have in years because I don't want to click the Solasta icon, so it's going in the bin. Oh well.

Eagerly awaiting Pathfinder 2.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Popping in to say this game is boring as hell. It has good combat and it's cool to see D&D systems done well, but literally everything else about the game is fucking banal boring shit. Set off the story/immersion/whateverfag alarm bells if you like, but I need SOMETHING other than gameplay to hold my interest. An interesting world, enjoyable characters, exploration, writing, graphics... SOMETHING. This game offers nothing outside of combat. Generic everything, boring and limited dialog, stale as fuck setting, just a big zippo. I have played more action games the last month or so than I have in years because I don't want to click the Solasta icon, so it's going in the bin. Oh well.

You have my sympathies, and I can see where you're coming from. Playing games like this and Phoenix Point (which I've been really getting into recently) make one realize how important the "ancillary" stuff like art design, storytelling, music, etc., is to a videogame game as a Gesamtkunstwerk.

So many stars have to be aligned ...

However, the combat in this is damn good, it has to be said. I find it enough to keep me rolling along, but yeah, I can see how it might not be enough for some.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Popping in to say this game is boring as hell. It has good combat and it's cool to see D&D systems done well, but literally everything else about the game is fucking banal boring shit. Set off the story/immersion/whateverfag alarm bells if you like, but I need SOMETHING other than gameplay to hold my interest. An interesting world, enjoyable characters, exploration, writing, graphics... SOMETHING. This game offers nothing outside of combat.
As someone who prefers exploration, I can sympathize, but since 2020 Tactics is the new RPG, viz. Troubleshooter and Naheulbeuk among others.

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png
Z6Xqdt4.gif

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Except the combat isn't really good because you either steamroll through everything in any difficulty below Cataclysm or deal with stat bloat on Cataclysm. The AI is ridiculously dumb and the encounter design is abysmal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/3276354

Solasta Adventure Box Unpacking!

f0e3146fd7f2f7f61fc6a66fadc93fbf_original.jpg

Hey there folks,

Hope summer's treating you well! We're here today with an unboxing of the Solasta Adventure Box as we've just received a sample from the manufacturer - spoiler alert, it's looking great! Also, for those who could not get a box before it was too late... There is something big coming up next week for everyone, so keep an eye out :)

1907d77423cfadee496757998283bc00_original.jpg

Mili on sentry duty while I long rest. I mean while I work. Totally not sleeping on the job, that would be unprofessional.

Solasta Campaign Rulebook - Did you find any mistake?
Before we start: we're about to wrap up the Campaign Rulebook for Solasta with a professional proofreader, but as we say two minds are often better than one. So if you found any mistake or typo, you can submit them for us to fix before we send the file to the printer! You can fill the form as many times as you want, but only submit once per mistake.

And as always... Thank you for your help!
The Solasta Adventure Box... in pictures
As a reminder, the Kickstarter Physical Rewards are planned to be delivered in Early 2022 as explained on a previous Kickstarter update. Also, as we receive these questions every time we talk about our physical rewards - no, unfortunately you can't purchase the Adventure Box or the Solasta Rulebook anymore :(

ca58dc48dce1a8d09bee194afea224cf_original.jpg

The Adventure Box - apologies for the mess, my work desk at home is fairly messy
cd5fb0e8f643b125950fd1879361d979_original.jpg

Opening the box! Excitement continues to build!
2be9509c110cc9941fc53670613022be_original.jpg

The Ruins of Carillach Gar, a beginner adventure level 1 - 4 set in the Badlands
52e12fb9dec07673da1838ba63d3efb6_original.jpg

Booklet of Character Sheets (easily detachable), with a special Solastan design! Each Character has 3 sheets (Gameplay, Roleplay, Magic)
992cceb4601331914b4de7d8ea59e3de_original.jpg

Battle Board, with both side usable. Front represents the Badlands (exterior), Back represents the Ruins (interior)
99e33cc0ab812beedd16651ec313fdf7_original.jpg

Our Game Master Screen, with beautiful Solastan artwork on the front and helpful information for the DM on the back
4786a3ec7f8f98943f0c9f25cd5410d1_original.png

Little Dice Pouch with the Solasta logo and two sets of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20)
d58e73e703e5ec6fd161240b2a1bafe3_original.jpg

Standees, Tokens & Character / Monster Cards. Violet is the only Small creature of the lot (aside from token creatures), she's so tiny!
2aa75c1a76c2493c9d60e5ae25b44812_original.jpg

Character & Monster Cards unpacked! Those are small cheat sheets help them the DM during combat.

Alright folks, this is the end for today! As always thank you for reading, and make sure you come back next week for something... big. Very big! Also, check out our Forums and our Discord Server to chat with other players!

Article by Tactical Myzzrym

FriendlyMerchant

You have my sympathies, and I can see where you're coming from. Playing games like this and Phoenix Point (which I've been really getting into recently) make one realize how important the "ancillary" stuff like art design, storytelling, music, etc., is to a videogame game as a Gesamtkunstwerk.

So many stars have to be aligned ...

However, the combat in this is damn good, it has to be said. I find it enough to keep me rolling along, but yeah, I can see how it might not be enough for some.

The 5e ruleset really hurts it too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the game. Not going to say much since everything has already been said. I liked the game for what it is. Probably never gonna replay it though, it didn't feel like there is much else that can be done in the game. Just have to say that the last few hours of the game was a real slog. Just ambush after ambush of easy mobs & bosses. Jeez, reminded me a bit of Kotor 2 with the endless mooks you have to defeat.

Crichton

Prophet
I rather enjoyed this one. All the criticisms leveled earlier in this thread (too easy, too linear, cheesy plot) are true, but there's still nothing quite like crawling through D&D encounters with a custom party. This was also my first 5E game so it was nice to have a look at what they've done with it. I was slightly disappointed that after years of the 3/3.5 dwarven master race, in 5E elves seem to be optimal choice with dwarves having total garbage stats for non-clerics. However my party of dwarves (Battle cleric, marksman ranger, oath of the motherland paladin and shock arcanist wizard) performed admirably since the game wasn't all that difficult. Because the game is so linear, I'm not all that motivated to go for a 2nd playthrough with an optimized party, but I'm still quite happy with Solasta; I'm continually embarrassed that I backed Realms Beyond on kickstarter rather than this one.

4F461B67FC9EB1E5517B0F011A1488F9FB34F7F8

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I rather enjoyed this one. All the criticisms leveled earlier in this thread (too easy, too linear, cheesy plot) are true, but there's still nothing quite like crawling through D&D encounters with a custom party. This was also my first 5E game so it was nice to have a look at what they've done with it. I was slightly disappointed that after years of the 3/3.5 dwarven master race, in 5E elves seem to be optimal choice with dwarves having total garbage stats for non-clerics. However my party of dwarves (Battle cleric, marksman ranger, oath of the motherland paladin and shock arcanist wizard) performed admirably since the game wasn't all that difficult. Because the game is so linear, I'm not all that motivated to go for a 2nd playthrough with an optimized party, but I'm still quite happy with Solasta; I'm continually embarrassed that I backed Realms Beyond on kickstarter rather than this one.

4F461B67FC9EB1E5517B0F011A1488F9FB34F7F8
aaAcgv0.jpg

V_K

Arcane
Barbarian and Druid classes are coming with the next DLC.

Barbarian & Druid Community Subclass Design Event - The Wishing Well

efff0e5d481a7888f3d075be875b1362_original.png

Hey there folks!

Are you ready for more Solasta? That’s right, today we’re revealing part of our upcoming DLC – say hello to the Barbarian and the Druid. But wait, that’s not all! As most of you know, ever since our Kickstarter we’ve been working hand in hand with our players – you – to make Solasta a better game, and that’s why today starts the Wishing Well Event!

What is the Wishing Well?
The Wishing Well is an event where everyone gets to submit design ideas for the two Community Subclasses that we’ll implement in-game for our first upcoming DLC – one for the Barbarian, and one for the Druid. We (Tactical Adventures) will be going through the submissions to select ideas that we find really cool, and either implement them as such, or tweak them to fit the game (for instance if the feature sounds really great but is too complex to implement, we’ll adapt or simplify it). Of course, the name (or nickname) of those we’ll use ideas from will be added in the game’s credits as Community Designers.

When is the Wishing Well taking place?

The Wishing Well starts now and ends on Sunday September 5th at 11:59 pm PDT.

303a16236e7ff8fb9df4039601d1ac92_original.png

What are the rules of the Wishing Well?
  • Please only participate once per person, i.e. 1 submission maximum per class
  • Please do not submit existing designs taken either from official sourcebooks or existing homebrew (unless it’s your own homebrew and you’re willing to share of course)
  • You do not need to submit a complete design – for instance, if you have cool ideas for a level 3 and level 6 barbarian features, but nothing for level 10 and 14, you can still submit something!
  • Please note that by participating, you agree to Tactical Adventures using the content you submitted. The legal guidelines can be found here (Barbarian Contest) and here (Druid Contest), if you’re proficient in legalese and want to dig into the documents.
  • Please note that we may adapt and modify the design you submitted
  • Please note that we may select features from different submissions to create both community subclasses (as in, picking a level 3 feature from one submission, and a level 6 feature from another one…)
How do I participate to the Wishing Well?
Simply submit your ideas in this Google Form!

cbe9e884ff4b710d763f62f6fc9275fd_original.png

How will I know if my submission is selected?
Before releasing the DLC (date not yet revealed), we will announce which ideas we selected (and some personal favorites as well) in a news post just like this one – and the name or nickname you put in the Google Form will also be added to the in-game credits as Community Designer.

Alright folks, this is the end for today! As always thank you for reading, we can’t wait to see what crazy ideas you have in mind! Also, check out our Forums and our Discord Server to chat with other players!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Won't pay more than 5 bucks for this and that's already stretching it. It better come with a complete rebalancing of encounters and difficulties.

zapotec

Liturgist
but nothing for level 10 and 14, you can still submit something!

Level 14... level cap increase?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My suggested Druid abilities

• Lv 2 - Water First

You can as a full round action conjure and concentrate water in your hands and throw at the enemy dealing d10 bludgeoning damage + your WIS modifier cold damage to a single enemy allowing reflex/dex save for half damage. Enemies stuck with this attack are pushed back 10 feet(like repealing blast for eldritch blast). You can also chose to sacrifice a spell slow to increase the damage by another d10+wis mod. Example, a lv 5 druid can sacrifice a tier 3 spell to cast first of water dealing d10+wis mod + 3 *(d10 + wis mod).

You can use this abilities a number of times equal to your WIS modifier and must do a short rest to regain uses.

* The visuals are similar to Waterfirst from Gothic 2

• LV 6 - Geyser

Once per long rest, conjures a geyser which lasts one minute and require concentration. The geyser is placed in a square and enemies around the square takes d12 fire damage + 2d12 bludgeoning damage in all creatures 25 feet from the geyser. Additionally, they need to do a dex or str save or be knocked prone.

• Lv 10 Water magic adeot

Once per short rest, You can cast any spell which deals cold damage and modify it to deal bludgeoning damage and knock enemies who fail the strengfht save. Example, Cone of Cold would become "cone of water", the enemies would allow a reflex save for half damage as usual and another strength save to avoid being knocked prone.

• LV 14 Lesser Tsunami

Once per long rest, You can create a massive wave of water that then moves in a straight line across water or land-you select the direction the wave travels (which must be perpendicular to its width), but once set in motion, the wave cannot change course. Over the surface of open water, the wave travels at a speed of 40 feet per round-on land or underwater, the wave travels at a speed of 25 feet per round.

Creatures stuck by the tsunami takes 10d6 bludgeoning damage must make a strength check or be knocked prone. Large creatures have advantage on their save and colossal creatures are immune to the prone effect. The tsunami stops after hitting a barrier taller than the tsunami which it can't destroy or after traveling 700 feet.

The game is already unplayable after lvl 5

I don't completely disagree. I mean, I don't think that 5E works in high level. IMO raising lv cap to 14 is a bit overkill. They should make the lv 6~10 more challenging before raising the lv cap and maybe raise to 12 for eg.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Submitted a druid design as well, but wont post , no one will steal it ! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom