Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find an old game with almost no info? :P

curds

Magister
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption?
Dark Earth?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Soulbringer, btw, had a cave just around the corner. Plus, if it was a demo, starting location could be changed to a new one.
Do you at least remember its combat? RT or TB? Thunderscape had a very brown cave on the first level. It's from 1995, though.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crusaders of Might and Magic, maybe? Not much of an RPG, but it's from 1999 and the demo was in a cave level.

7af1da66582f5ee242bf9a6f20f84e09fddb5cb22915e8801c6bf2e7266f1d81_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Asghan : The Dragon Slayer (1998) ?

asghan-the-dragon-slayer_17.jpg

The demo started in you on a dock in some mountains, quickly causing you to go down into caves. Even the outside had heavy dark brown, cave-like colors.

asghan-the-dragon-slayer_14.jpg

As for the gameplay; regular sword fighting was 3rd person (as shown in the screenshots), but when using the hand crossbow (hidden in your metical arm) you'd switch to a first person view.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
this was named in the third post and he already said no, don't some of you read the whole thread?

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
this was named in the third post and he already said no, don't some of you read the whole thread?

Woops, my bad. The questioned lingered in my head while doing some work and I had only glanced over that particular comment.

Wait, it's not Rune, is it?

maxresdefault.jpg

MV5BYWZkODM1MjItYzA2MS00NTViLWEwZmYtOWU3MjIwMDY3MTU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU5ODY0ODc@._V1_.jpg

174534609.jpg

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know that feeling, I have a memory of playing an RPG when I was a kid I never managed to find again and it's really annoying
Did you try asking the Dex's help too? I pretty much found all my old games from my younger years. The now dead website TheUnderdog was great help in that. Memory can also do funny things tho, I do found a game but my describtion turned out the be quite false. Hope the OP will manage and that may you find your missing title too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I know that feeling, I have a memory of playing an RPG when I was a kid I never managed to find again and it's really annoying
Did you try asking the Dex's help too? I pretty much found all my old games from my younger years. The now dead website TheUnderdog was great help in that. Memory can also do funny things tho, I do found a game but my describtion turned out the be quite false. Hope the OP will manage and that may you find your missing title too.

No, I never asked but I remember quite well how it looked and I've never found it in 20 years of searching, must have been an early freeware or shareware dos game

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
No, I never asked but I remember quite well how it looked and I've never found it in 20 years of searching, must have been an early freeware or shareware dos game
Then describe it. First person or not? Tile-based or isometric? Party or solo? TB or RT? Separate combat area or not? CGA/EGA/VGA? Was it really a DOS game or early Win 3.11 (as Exile and The Depths of Dejenol).
Year?

Heretic 2 was all brown and 3rd person
I thought about it, but doesn't it has a pretty colorful areas? Probably, I confuse starting areas with later ones.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Tile-based, definitely a Dos game, I played it somewhere between 1990 and 1994, but I assume it was either older or a freeware/shareware game by a single creator

You're this stick-man going through a top-down dungeon from room to room and as you explored you uncover what is in each room. There could have been some fog of war. Visual were all in black and white, and very simplified. Combat I think was either TB or you stepped on a tile and either survived the monster or not (too long ago to remember). the main goal was to find treasures I think. Levels were randomly generated. There might have been other encounter besides combat and treasures but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit: definitely not any Ascii roguelike btw. though the gameplay was rogue-ish somewhat, only very primitive, I don't think you had any equipment (though I could be wrong, sadly its too long ago)

1BnU2Ab.png

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
. Combat I think was either TB or you stepped on a tile and either survived the monster or not (too long ago to remember). the main goal was to find treasures I think. Levels were randomly generated. There might have been other encounter besides combat and treasures but I'm not entirely sure.
Sounds like something Telengard-inspired. It pretty much describes its (at least dnd) gameplay.

mondblut

Arcane
Tile-based, definitely a Dos game, I played it somewhere between 1990 and 1994, but I assume it was either older or a freeware/shareware game by a single creator

You're this stick-man going through a top-down dungeon from room to room and as you explored you uncover what is in each room. There could have been some fog of war. Visual were all in black and white, and very simplified. Combat I think was either TB or you stepped on a tile and either survived the monster or not (too long ago to remember). the main goal was to find treasures I think. Levels were randomly generated. There might have been other encounter besides combat and treasures but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit: definitely not any Ascii roguelike btw. though the gameplay was rogue-ish somewhat, only very primitive, I don't think you had any equipment (though I could be wrong, sadly its too long ago)

1BnU2Ab.png

gold.PNG

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
. Combat I think was either TB or you stepped on a tile and either survived the monster or not (too long ago to remember). the main goal was to find treasures I think. Levels were randomly generated. There might have been other encounter besides combat and treasures but I'm not entirely sure.
Sounds like something Telengard-inspired. It pretty much describes its (at least dnd) gameplay.

I found an old Mac game (The Dungeon Revealed) a couple of years ago that looked exactly like what I remembered, but I had no access to a mac at the time (neither me or any of my friends) so I can't have played that, but maybe it was either an unofficial port or somebody made a freeware pc game based on it

66722.jpg

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I also have an RPG that I'm looking for a very long time. It looked similar to Ultima 7 and it had a kind of TB system where the AI only acted when your character acted. I don't know how you call that system?

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I also have an RPG that I'm looking for a very long time. It looked similar to Ultima 7 and it had a kind of TB system where the AI only acted when your character acted. I don't know how you call that system?
I call it Rogue-likish TB. See Eschalon Book One for another CRPG example.
Year? Operation system? VGA? Party or solo?

Grauken
I found it in the Don Peste's link. Just look at the gamelplay.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I call it Rogue-likish TB. See Eschalon Book One for another CRPG example.
Year? Operation system? VGA? Party or solo?
I played it in the late 90's on windows 95/98. I'm pretty sure it was solo, graphics were between ultima 6 and 7. I remember starting the game in a village and then arriving at a walled city. There was a market and you could buy goods by talking to the vendors but you could also just pick them up from the table and get beaten up by guards and thrown into the city jail.

mondblut

Arcane
I played it in the late 90's on windows 95/98. I'm pretty sure it was solo, graphics were between ultima 6 and 7. I remember starting the game in a village and then arriving at a walled city. There was a market and you could buy goods by talking to the vendors but you could also just pick them up from the table and get beaten up by guards and thrown into the city jail.

excelsion-phase-2.gif

warwizard_11.png

yendorian.gif

1041482-flame-storm-dos-screenshot-a-random-encounter-during-day.png

Any of these look the part?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom