Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys I'm looking for a game to play

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
you can use turn-based for exacting tactical play in difficult encounters

And if you really want these encounters to last 10 times longer than they would with based RTWP.
Yes encounters are much quicker if you party wipe on turn 4. The system is made for turn based and most classes have features that can't be practically managed in RT. Even with point and squirt melee damage characters like Amiri you need to send a tank in first, and it can matter whether she stands on the left or right side of said tank because she has too little AC (in the early game) to stand on the right and draw agro from the whole crowd. Against any enemy worth a damn turn based is the way to go.

Or learn how to configure your autopause/learn to use the v button/give Amiri a Move Action like Freebooter's Bane.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
RPG
I get 1 hour in the morning to play so it should be easy to interrupt and remember wtf was happening.

It's not actually recent but Knights of the Chalice actually fits the bill.
There is some mazes but they're not hard to navigate, and you can walk through cleared areas fast enough, you can even disable random encounters to make it even easier (monsters respawning and random encounters on the world map)

Vigilantes, it's not exactly a RPG, more like a Tactical-RPG with some base management, short missions, perfect for a one hour window and easy to remember what's going on as there is some notes on the city map and a panel with all the infos you gathered so far on the criminal organizations.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPG
I get 1 hour in the morning to play so it should be easy to interrupt and remember wtf was happening.

It's not actually recent but Knights of the Chalice actually fits the bill.
There is some mazes but they're not hard to navigate, and you can walk through cleared areas fast enough, you can even disable random encounters to make it even easier (monsters respawning and random encounters on the world map)

Vigilantes, it's not exactly a RPG, more like a Tactical-RPG with some base management, short missions, perfect for a one hour window and easy to remember what's going on as there is some notes on the city map and a panel with all the infos you gathered so far on the criminal organizations.

KOTC isn't ultra long either. Probably about 20-25 hours depending on how you get through encounters.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Since this is a thread dedicated to an action RPG I shall recommend more worthwhile action RPGs:

:obviously: Tier

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Arx Fatalis
Fallout: New Vegas
Ultima Underworld

Good Tier:

Morrowind
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Salt & Sanctuary
How can you rank Arx Fatalis higher than Bloodlines??

SexExitium

Augur
. . .
Actually it doesn't have to be an aRPG at all, I would prefer something slower, methodical, TB even.
How do you feel about roguelikes? I think they're perfect for 1 hour in the morning style of gaming. You could launch the game, move 1 square and then have a cup of coffee if you like it slow and methodical. Games like Jupiter Hell and Brogue are very accessible if you want to give them a go

Cadmus

Arcane
. . .
Actually it doesn't have to be an aRPG at all, I would prefer something slower, methodical, TB even.
How do you feel about roguelikes? I think they're perfect for 1 hour in the morning style of gaming. You could launch the game, move 1 square and then have a cup of coffee if you like it slow and methodical. Games like Jupiter Hell and Brogue are very accessible if you want to give them a go
no, roguelikes, thanks
no desktop dungeons

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Seconding Pathfinder: Kingmaker

A one hour window in the morning is perfect indeed for PFK, you can prepare your breakfast during your first loading screen, come back and play for 5 minutes, eat your breakfast during your second loading screen, play for 2 minutes, get a shower during your third loading screen, play for 1 minute and then turn off your computer and head to work.

It should be used to sever otaku's gaming dependence.
It was probably designed for that sole purpose.

Cadmus

Arcane

A one hour window in the morning is perfect indeed for PFK, you can prepare your breakfast during your first loading screen, come back and play for 5 minutes, eat your breakfast during your second loading screen, play for 2 minutes, get a shower during your third loading screen, play for 1 minute and then turn off your computer and head to work.

I quit Kingmaker so can you recommend something else?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Urtuk : The Desolation might work if you have limited play time.
It's pretty much all combat all the time without any storyfaggotry what-so-ever.

Tihskael

Learned
fkdiyd3eg9411.jpg

Play 76 and nuke peasants to infinity and beyond.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey. :) I can thoroughly recommend Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut if u want to play a really good dungeon-crawling CRPG. The use of the save points mean that each one is about 15-30 minutes apart or so. In other words, u can start up, fight a few battles for progress, and then save at the next save point and u can do all that in under an hour generally. Besides that, it's just an awesome CRPG! If u do play I hope u enjoy. :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not all are full-blown storyfag RPGs, mind, but they're TB:
- West of Loathing
- Vigilantes
- Sorcery!
- Mainframe Defenders
- Darkwind: War on Wheels

Cadmus

Arcane
Lords of Xulima
I played LoX, it was awesome and exactly what I'm looking for.
Legends of Eisenwald was similar but boring.

Hey. :) I can thoroughly recommend Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut if u want to play a really good dungeon-crawling CRPG. The use of the save points mean that each one is about 15-30 minutes apart or so. In other words, u can start up, fight a few battles for progress, and then save at the next save point and u can do all that in under an hour generally. Besides that, it's just an awesome CRPG! If u do play I hope u enjoy. :)

Thanks, Fluent. I totally forgot about this game. Might give it a try.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Don't else me, i didn't recommend PK but Knights of the Chalice.

Also, Dark Sun is a good choice.

Just write some notes about important things if you're still playing in short sessions.

Vigilantes as well, not much story, nothing to remember, just combat and base/fighters management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadmus

Arcane

Don't else me, i didn't recommend PK but Knights of the Chalice.

Also, Dark Sun is a good choice.

Just write some notes about important things if you're still playing in short sessions.

Vigilantes as well, not much story, nothing to remember, just combat and base/fighters management.
Thanks, Vigilantes also look interesting.
Dark Sun and KoC are too fucking ugly for me. Anything worse looking than Fallout 1 or Diablo 1 I don't wanna bother with..

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom