Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dread Templar (formerly Hell Hunt) - retro FPS inspired by Quake, Blood, etc

Boleskine

Arcane

https://af.gog.com/game/dread_templar?as=1649904300

https://t19games.itch.io/hellhunt

wAYKZ0.png

Hell Hunt is a new retro First Person Shooter inspired by 90s shooters like Quake1, Blood, tells the story of a Demon Hunter entering hell for revenge. Lots of classic elements such as key cards, secret areas, no health regeneration, a large arsenal would be in it. Meanwhile, Hell Hunt also has a modern skill-based FPS mechanic, such as powerful attack abilities, special movement abilities, upgradable weapon systems, etc.

Features:
  • Bullet time: A short bullet time will be triggered when you kill a demon, During bullet time everything will slow down but you'll move normally.
  • Abilities: You can use some special abilities (most of them have a cooldown), such as throwing katanas, dash, etc.
  • Weapon: More than 10 weapons in game (you can use 5 of them in this demo).
  • Level: Inspired by the classic shooter's level design methods, including: key cards, secret areas, etc.
Demo:
  • A short tutorial level
  • The first 2 levels of episode one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played a demo of this when it was shown at that boomer shooter livestream. The gunplay and level design were surprisingly not great. It's been a while but the dualies were incresibly weak despite having to use them, the sword had no range and the alt fire had a bad delay, the level just kind of kept going on and on.

I enjoy these, thanks. Sounds like single player Killing Floor.

It's a normal shooter, not a wave based shooter. Unless you're just talking about bullet time, cuz there is that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Shit retroism as they can't even get the formula right, and one would think boomer shooters would be the easiest shit to emulate.

Imagine indie devs trying to make something like an old school immersive sim hooo right.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1334730/announcements/detail/2962787743595186613

Dread Templar public playtest is now live!

b62250186ae2453013410471ce18d3a4c57022fc.jpg

Greetings templars! Today we have a very special announcement to share with you - right now and until 15.7. you have the opportunity to join our public Steam Playtest of Dread Templar! If you want to check out what the game looks and feels, this is your chance! We would also appreciate if you could fill out a short questionnaire we have prepared for this opportunity, as we would like to know what you think about the game and use this feedback to make the game even better!

You can find the questionnaire here: https://forms.gle/LBSuEXvfErzmmxVs5

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The uzis remind me of the ones in Blood 2 and they are very satisfying. Level design is garbage and the tacked on character system is useless. 5% to damage with certain guns? What were they thinking?

Curratum

I didn't even manage to muster enough enthusiasm to finish the demo. It felt janky and dull overall.

Maybe worth taking another look at it a year from now, assuming the dev learns how to make fun levels and / or tweaks the movement and animations but until then, I'd just be replaying the other dozen better retro shooters that are out.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I can't keep all these retro shooters apart anymore. There are too many of them!

I like how people actually though indie devs were going to save PC gaming lmao.

Everybody kept thinking AAA games are shit 'cause muh corporations haven't figured out yet that the games are shit because the devs are fucking retarded, and budget has nothing to do with it.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I can't keep all these retro shooters apart anymore. There are too many of them!

I like how people actually though indie devs were going to save PC gaming lmao.

Everybody kept thinking AAA games are shit 'cause muh corporations haven't figured out yet that the games are shit because the devs are fucking retarded, and budget has nothing to do with it.
Also, old developers were just making entertainment in the form of games, whereas indies are essentially making games about games. Which only results in artificial crap instead of anything genuinely cool.

orcinator

Liturgist
At some point we are going to go full circle and have people move away from these types of FPS due to fatigue which may cause a renaissance in 2000s style FPS. Time really is a flat circle.
Halo-Cod era shooters are too reliant on scripted setpieces to mask the dull gameplay and that's way too hard to do for indie devs.
To be honest I'm surprised it took so long for an Indie Shooter boom to happen given the scene was basically built on top of retro platformers.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
At some point we are going to go full circle and have people move away from these types of FPS due to fatigue which may cause a renaissance in 2000s style FPS. Time really is a flat circle.
Halo-Cod era shooters are too reliant on scripted setpieces to mask the dull gameplay and that's way too hard to do for indie devs.
To be honest I'm surprised it took so long for an Indie Shooter boom to happen given the scene was basically built on top of retro platformers.
Classic shooters had mapping tools thanks to being on the PC while classic platformers did not.

Lemming42

Arcane
The problem with most of these is that they seem to be accidentally recreating Serious Sam rather than Doom or Blood. And Serious Sam sucked, it just got away with it because it's impossible not to laugh when you hear the headless bomber scream coming towards you for a split second before suddenly taking 100 damage.

The one thing I still don't get is why the graphics have to be so shit and bland in all these games. I appreciate that, with a small or even one-person dev team, "retro" style graphics are just easier and quicker to do, but it ends up being eye-scorching half the time, with minimal sense of art direction. People seem to forget that the Doom and Build engines looked state-of-the-art when they first came out.

Someone should try making a proper modern "update" of the character shooter genre. Anyone who posts a picture of the Duke Nukem Forever box-art in reply to this will be IMMEDIATELY blocked.

Ion Fury, for all the shit people give it, was moving in the right direction.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, there are good indie devs, and not even that few.
All the artsy and political crap can rather safely be ignored.

They are just about as outnumbered as good AAA devs are outnumbered by bad ones.

Either way, I'll gladly take the nth copy of Quake or Blood over the nth copy of Call Of Duty or Halo...

Btan0

Literate
I think the major problem with these indie shooters is that they're still using modern conventions. Almost every shooter released now (be it indie or AAA) has some form of quick dodge, a generic skill tree and goofy/sarcastic characters. The subtleties of the proverbial 90s shooter is completely lost on these developers.

destinae vomitus

Educated
Wowie, yet another barely mediocre böömer shooter with a buttmetal OST being peddled for cashmoney on steam that all the usual suspects on youtube will shill as to being JUST LIEK TEH CLASSICS, just what we needed. Nevermind the endless and evergrowing repertoire of FREE maps and mods for Doom, Quake and all those other games that most definitely haven't stood the test of time, who has time for any of that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom