Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are blobbers called blobbers?

DraQ

Arcane
Blobber is a subgenre of first person dungeon crawlers. Or is first person dungeon crawler a subgenre of blobbers?
... mooom!
I thought first person dungeon crawlers == blobber.
You need a party and tiles and them moving as a blob for it to be a blobber. Gothic is not a blobber for example.
You don't need tiles, but you do need a party that moves as a single entity - AKA blob - where even if the characters are positioned relative to one another, they always remain in physical contact. Traditionally you'd also expect first person view.

An example without tiles and with intraparty positioning would be Wizardry 8.
First person crawler that's not a blobber would be any of TES games, where you control distinct single PC, not a blob of party members fused together.

PapaPetro

Hecatoncheires.jpg

This is an original concept to connect this mythical concept to that of what is the metaphysical gaming origins of the "Blobber" cRPG.
So when someone asks where do Blobbers come from, just say from Ancient Greek Mythology / The Divine Concept behind the Hecatoncheires.
Because that what it feels like to be a multipartied solo God in a cRPG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Blobber is a subgenre of first person dungeon crawlers. Or is first person dungeon crawler a subgenre of blobbers?
... mooom!
I thought first person dungeon crawlers == blobber.

Not always, many dungeon crawlers are blobbers, but not all of them, e.g. Anvil of Dawn for example as it only has a single player character
Some blobbers have large portions that take place outside of dungeons, e.g. the Might and Magic games
Also, not all blobbers have to be grid-based, like Wizardry 8 for example

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Everything was already said here. I just want to remind you again, that "blobber" was coined on the Codex circa '10-'12. We have a thread somewhere where we found a word's author. Image of multi-headed blob is much older, though. It was an old joke.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Jokes aside,when i was kid and played might and magic for first time i was imagining how i play some fleshy blob with 8arms and legs and four heads.

Blobber party vs. vampire circa late 90s.

Alucard-fights-Legion-Granfalloon-Note-the-bodies-falling-off-the-mass-and-thronging.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom