Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It is hard to compete against Tyranny's teenage edgelord writing, its cooldown-cycling combat against two enemy types, or its lack of an ending. Somehow, though, PoE manages to take the W.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is hard to compete against Tyranny's teenage edgelord writing, its cooldown-cycling combat against two enemy types, or its lack of an ending. Somehow, though, PoE manages to take the W.

By having all if those. Plus what I said.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Never gonna happen.

Mainstream shitgames like Pillars of Endless Basement get sequels.

Good games that try to do something new in current year? Nope.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tyranny is much better than the autistic pseudo welsh setting Sawyer farted out. It kept me engaged while Pillers bored me to sleep.

Ehrenmann

PoE has the most boring generic story and setting I have ever seen in a game. Tyranny on the other hand is a master piece that was left half finished. The fact that PoE sold so well is a testament to the genetic degeneration of mankind.

Tyranny won me over the moment enemy soldier called me a "peacebinder" based on my decisions during the map campaign.

Ehrenmann

Actually I blame you for the game releasing unfinished. Should have shown more twitter support to devs.

The setting, story and characters are simply great. Tyranny ends abruptly only because the devs were told to release asap. Regardless, it still deserves its honorary place among good CRPGs.
:dealwithit:

Erebus

Arcane
As far as I'm concerned, Tyranny is just as average (verging on mediocre) as PoE 1. Their flaws aren't completely the same, but they're equally serious.

do we have any at least small hope for Tyranny 2

Well, PoE 2 was better than PoE 1, so I guess that Tyranny 2 might actually be decent. I just wouldn't bet on it.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Dudes, you were right that the difficulty level takes nosedive after Act 1.

I was bitching about having troubles winning Ascension Hall rebel path battle on POTD. Now I'm somewhere in Act 2 (just retrieved Magebane helmet), and most of the fights go on autopilot.

Guess the huge part of that are the OPd as fuck combo abilities from companions and passive bonuses from favour/wrath from certain factions. If only devs could tone it the fuck down a bit, or at least make the combos being available much later in the game, not just 10 minutes after recruiting NPC. Eb and Lantry's ones are an instant win button, at least for 2H pure melee MC.

IMO Tyranny had way better potential than PoE (unique setting/lore, spell crafting, spires, classless system, being thrown straight into the action IWD2-like, cool dialogue options like [glare silently], etc etc), but the low difficulty takes all the fun away. At this point, I don't even give a shit about finding new sigils/accents - I just start the fights with spectral blur on everyone and then just spam the most basic frost/shock CC spells that stuns/slows down every mob, with occasionally throwing some emotion sigil debuffs. Act 1 was superb - even tougher than PoE PotD beginnings. Now every fights is just a chore.

Also, as many pointed out - most of the maps are small as fuck and corridor-like, which doesn't help at all.

It bums me the fuck out when game starts cool, and then it quickly turns into shit/chore :negative:

Piotrovitz

Savant
There is a huge difference between saying nothing and glaring silently with blank expression - the latter provides you an option to RP a stoic/confident/above-it-all asshole, which doesn't bother to answer to some plebs he's dealing with, which suits well Oathbinder MC. Sometimes it leads to interesting results, so it's not just an useless option without any consequences. IMO more cRPGs should implement that.

Humbaba

Arcane
As far as I'm concerned, Tyranny is just as average (verging on mediocre) as PoE 1. Their flaws aren't completely the same, but they're equally serious.

do we have any at least small hope for Tyranny 2

Well, PoE 2 was better than PoE 1, so I guess that Tyranny 2 might actually be decent. I just wouldn't bet on it.

The conquest system is what Tyranny has over Pillars. Every game should have a backstory generator like that.

This message has been approved and paid for by :drink:

but really the conquest system is great tbh.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The conquest system is what Tyranny has over Pillars. Every game should have a backstory generator like that.

It's original but it's far from its best feature.
  • Original setting
  • Great companions and NPC (companions sidequests aside)
  • Very good spell system
  • Interesting story and dialogs
  • Multiple sides so even if you don't replay it (and i didn't) you feel like you have some real choices to make
  • Even the skills and combo skills are better than PoE bland skills.
On the other hand, PoE is a mediocre experience with no redeeming feature.
Deadwater is slightly better than PoE 1 but traveling, sailing, the NPC and the setting drags it down.

Combat doesn't shine in either of the titles, PoE 1 being the worst at it.

cool dialogue options like [glare silently]
I don't know what it says about a game that one of the better dialogue is the one that doesn't say anything. :lol:

*Glare silently*

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ironic isn't it, that the crookss at Obshitian was using this unfinished game to bamboozle paradox money turned out to be much better than their so-called magnum opus, pillars of eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom