Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
my comment was really limited to dungeon crawlers, so I prefer Wizardry over Eye of the Beholder, but then Eye of the Beholder over Anvil of Dawn, and the few TB-based single char dungeon crawlers I player were terrible

If we leave dungeon crawlers, its very different and really depends on the type of game

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Weird in a good way? Would you recommend it? I remember the CRPG Addict gave it a "meh" rating, but I'm strangely intrigued by these screenshots, plus I just love Amiga games.

I tried it briefly and noted on my play list "Incredibly tedious combat".

the few TB-based single char dungeon crawlers I player were terrible

Have you tried Aleshar: World of Ice?

Dorateen

Arcane
I will put it to disputed for now, I think codex opinions are tied on wether it is cute enough, or too basic. I like it personally.

Legends of Amberland's overworld exploration is well constructed. The weakness of the game is in its dungeon design. Still, there are character systems and mechanics that were introduced, which were not even present in the Might & Magic games it seeks to emulate. Such as items having weight and the need to juggle encumbrance, a two-tiered resting option, talents and the interplay with stats. The presentation isn't "cute", it has charm. And rightfully belongs under the exploration category.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Death Bringer (a.k.a.Galdregons Domain) Is yet another obscure blobber type but very weird. I finished the c64 version and never got around to the ST or Amiga. The weapon breakage is a bitch. Plan accordingly.

Weird in a good way? Would you recommend it? I remember the CRPG Addict gave it a "meh" rating, but I'm strangely intrigued by these screenshots, plus I just love Amiga games.

And the box art kicks ass!

256017-death-bringer-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg
Poster still on my wall in the store room. I should print a new one and laminate it.

Even back then it was a little hard to get into at first. For the life of me I can't recall if the c64 had a save system. I do recall booting it up just to listen to the intro music (later I recorded it to cassette tape to listen to.

I was really into SID CHIP music back then.

The game uses a cursor emulating a mouse on c64 and played with a joystick. Amiga/PC might actually use a mouse. The game doesn't hold your hand and the gimmick text window is annoying (be a fast reader). Examples:

C64 screenshots:
475883-death-bringer-commodore-64-screenshot-title-screen.png

Death_Bringer_1.png

108898.jpg

475888-death-bringer-commodore-64-screenshot-these-commands-are-available.png

475889-death-bringer-commodore-64-screenshot-some-guards.png

108899.jpg

Yeah, I played the c64 disk version DEATH BRINGER not the Galdregon's Domain version EU tape/disk version (which is identical except title)
Manuals c64 & atari st

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I kicked out Vaporum and the other single hero blobbers as part of my new rule 3.
The Quest and Dungeon Hack received honorable mentions in the rule, as presumably the best single hero blobbers.
I will let the thread run for a few weeks before I load more work onto myself, and clean it up a bit in formatting and add links and pictures.
Long term I will probably condense the disputed tag to an icon (like ⚔).
Maybe I will add a highly recommended icon aswell (like ★) to make browsing the list for recommendations easier.

Heroes of a Broken World is mechanically broken and substantially overstays its welcome, but I would argue it deserves a place for, as far as I know, exploring entirely unique design space for a blobber.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thac0 I certainly think a distinction between good and good enough should be made, since the intended purpose is curation. Most people don't have 1000s of hours to burn, so a way to separate would be much appreciated.

dacencora

agris
I did actually cut a few of the games from the big series, namely Might and Magic IX and Wizardry IV.
I did play a few from those series, and I usually played the one that is considered the worst. So I can assume that the other games are at least as good. From the big series I am only concerned about Might and Magic I+II and Wizardry II+III. But the historical significance gives them enough of a boost to include them anyway imo, since none of them are terrible.
Might and Magic I and II are excellent games, and certainly deserve a place on this list. MM1 is a little hard to get into, not as hard as Wiz1 but almost as hard tbh, especially for zoomies.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm not being a wiseass here but what is a "gridless blobber"? Isn't the point of a blobber that your group moves one step at a time, in a blob?

ETA: In other words, why not just call it a first person RPG?

dacencora

I'm not being a wiseass here but what is a "gridless blobber"? Isn't the point of a blobber that your group moves one step at a time, in a blob?

In gridless blobbers, like MM6, you’re still fighting as a blob. First person RPG is more like Daggerfall or Ultima Underworld.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heroes of a Broken World is mechanically broken and substantially overstays its welcome, but I would argue it deserves a place for, as far as I know, exploring entirely unique design space for a blobber.

Do you mean Heroes of a Broken Land on Steam?
I am interested in that myself, given that the two games have not that much discussion even on codex. Particularily game 2 has almost nothing.
I will add it to Misc for now.

Mainly because of Wizardry 8. It is definitly a blobber, but being gridless gives it a really strange unique charm. First Person Rpgs tend to be solo (and immersive sims like Ultima Underworld), being in a party gives them a significantly different feel. That is why I use the "party condensed into a single entity" definition, not the "party condensed into a single tile".

Thac0 I certainly think a distinction between good and good enough should be made, since the intended purpose is curation. Most people don't have 1000s of hours to burn, so a way to separate would be much appreciated.

It definitly makes the list more usefull for casual users.
I am unsure if I should use multiple stars. On one hand it makes the distinction even more usefull, on the other hand it is a theoretical endless salt mine.

Might and Magic IV-V ★★★
Swords and Sorcery Underworld ★★
Might and Magic III ★★
Fate: Gates of Dawn ★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

vs:

Might and Magic III-V ★
Swords and Sorcery Underworld ★
Might and Magic I-II
Fate: Gates of Dawn
Legends of Amberland ⚔

dacencora

I am interested in that myself, given that the two games have not that much discussion even on codex. Particularily game 2 has almost nothing.

Mainly because of Wizardry 8. It is definitly a blobber, but being gridless gives it a really strange unique charm. First Person Rpgs tend to be solo (and immersive sims like Ultima Underworld), being in a party gives them a significantly different feel. That is why I use the "party condensed into a single entity" definition, not the "party condensed into a single tile".

I am unsure if I should use multiple stars. On one hand it makes the distinction even more usefull, on the other hand it is a theoretical endless salt mine.

Might and Magic IV-V ★★★
Might and Magic III ★★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

vs:

Might and Magic III-V ★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

What is the X next to Legends of Amberland mean?

I like the single star system more, personally.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Might and Magic IV-V ★★★
Might and Magic III ★★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

vs:

Might and Magic III-V ★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

Probably "Fiercely disputed" if good or not.

Yes. Heroes of a Broken Land, not World. Whoops. I didn't realize the sequel was out, last I checked it was still in development; I will have to check it out.

FWIW I really enjoyed the first game for about 5 hours. It's pretty simple, and way too slow-paced (the dev himself admitted that he greatly underestimated the amount of time it would take to get through the game by around a factor of 10), but it's good fun for a while and like I said it explores some interesting design space.

dacencora

Might and Magic IV-V ★★★
Might and Magic III ★★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

vs:

Might and Magic III-V ★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

Probably "Fiercely disputed" if good or not.
I bought it and felt fairly "meh" about it. There was nothing about it that made me want to play it over MM3, and the odd positioning of the party didn't help. I dropped it shortly because it failed to grab me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Might and Magic IV-V ★★★
Might and Magic III ★★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

Don't you mean?
Might and Magic III ★★★★
Might and Magic V ★★★
Might and Magic IV ★★
Fate: Gates of Dawn ★?
Might and Magic I-II ?
Legends of Amberland ⚔

Wizardry 8 ★★★★★★/★★★★★

dacencora

Might and Magic IV-V ★★★
Might and Magic III ★★
Might and Magic I-II
Legends of Amberland ⚔

Don't you mean?
Might and Magic III ★★★★
Might and Magic V ★★★
Might and Magic IV ★★
Fate: Gates of Dawn ★?
Might and Magic I-II ?
Legends of Amberland ⚔

Wizardry 8 ★★★★★★/★★★★★
You prefer Isles of Terra to both Xeens? I haven't played any of the Xeen entries yet, but that is not an opinion that I have seen very often.

mondblut

Arcane
Also I think I will either make a dedicated category for solo dungeon crawlers or delete them entirely.

If you do, do not forget to kick anvil of dawn in there.

Dungeon Hack, Deathkeep and Slayer do not feel up to the quality standards of the list.

If Deathkeep and Slayer are "blobbers", so is every FPS on Earth. No party AND no step-based grid dungeons = definitive buhbye.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You prefer Isles of Terra to both Xeens? I haven't played any of the Xeen entries yet, but that is not an opinion that I have seen very often.
Clouds is very meh, but Darkside is better than III.
V > III >>> IV

Butter

Arcane
Patron
One star > multiple stars. No need to get lost in the weeds arguing whether Isles is better than Darkside, whether Darkside is better than Clouds, etc. All three are easy recommendations if you want an exploration-heavy blobber.

dacencora

Actually many people here do.

They're wrong though. If I had to rate the three independently it would be V>III>IV.
Shows how much I know, lol. I was under the impression that Isles of Terra was seen as a proto-Xeen and pretty underrated. Glad to be wrong on that! It's a great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom