Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Ash

Arcane
Stop that! Quake 2 is still a good game, just kind of ruined by a few retarded enemy types and the power shield belt thingie. Mods can easily fix these things thankfully. Level design isn't as solid as Q1 either but still good.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I just don't like how it became some generic sci-fi shit over the cool Lovecraftian/Satanic merging of Quake 1's hellscape world.

Yeoman

Educated
You are most definitely not giving MG's resident quake mapper enough credit here. Why DOPA is so good is because it is Quake the way id did: primarily gameplay focused, abstract level design. There's great encounter design, tricky labyrinths, really cool creative traps, and minimal aesthetics whoring. Perfect resource distribution. Solid challenge. It feels official, on par with id, and there is no way in hell that is "crap".
I will agree that most maps have a similar flow of a central area progressively unlocking outer areas, but that is not bad design just more variety would be nice, and that is really the only criticism that can be made about it.

Still, I will hear you out by trying that singular map by czg you posted and post about it.

If you are hungry for more "Quake the way id did" then you should definitely also play Beyond Belief, and see how much creativity can be done with level design and encounter design while still being id-like.

Ash

Arcane
I just don't like how it became some generic sci-fi shit over the cool Lovecraftian/Satanic merging of Quake 1's hellscape world.

So you're saying you're a graphics/visuals whore? Because boiled down that's all what that is.

...I'm being facetious. Q1 setting is definitely cooler and has a better atmosphere but Q2 is still cool and fine.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
trent reznor's music is fantastic but like i said, aubrey's alternative interpretation is great if you like dark ambient

Ash

Arcane
You are most definitely not giving MG's resident quake mapper enough credit here. Why DOPA is so good is because it is Quake the way id did: primarily gameplay focused, abstract level design. There's great encounter design, tricky labyrinths, really cool creative traps, and minimal aesthetics whoring. Perfect resource distribution. Solid challenge. It feels official, on par with id, and there is no way in hell that is "crap".
I will agree that most maps have a similar flow of a central area progressively unlocking outer areas, but that is not bad design just more variety would be nice, and that is really the only criticism that can be made about it.

Still, I will hear you out by trying that singular map by czg you posted and post about it.

If you are hungry for more "Quake the way id did" then you should definitely also play Beyond Belief, and see how much creativity can be done with level design and encounter design while still being id-like.

Goddamn it it is has Pak and Prog.dat modification :negative:

Huh, pretty slick. The updated/rejiggered models are good, they hit the sweet spot of "Memory of how something looked without looking as bad as it really did". Also loaded up the new Machinegames map pack and that seems like a nice little bonus too. Cool for a freebie and if it gets some more people to try Quake for the first time, even cooler.

Ash

Arcane
Huh, pretty slick. The updated/rejiggered models are good, they hit the sweet spot of "Memory of how something looked without looking as bad as it really did".

Bullshit. The visuals are mostly the same just with minor rendering "enhancements" on top that make things less abstract and therefore bad in a low detail game. Mostly the same including the ugly asf eyesore that is the weapons. That is the only vanilla thing that even needs a visual upgrade anyway if you ask me. Enemies and environments are totally fine. Oh, and the particle effects suck ass. Quake 1.5 has the right idea, as these are the only two visual things it addresses (weapons and particle fx).

Last edited:
Huh, pretty slick. The updated/rejiggered models are good, they hit the sweet spot of "Memory of how something looked without looking as bad as it really did".

Bullshit. Most of the visuals are the same, including the ugly asf eyesore that is the weapons.
Bullshitz. Just loook at the grenade launcher as a really easy example. It's more rounded in this.
Original:

New:
ss_f05136331569b5ca973b5295041ff7ce58fb2590.jpg

Not a perfect picture because it's firing, but the original had a lot more clear angles on it. A lot of the enemies seem a little bit sharper to me too but they aren't as memorable as the weapons of course.

Ash

Arcane
OK that is a pretty good upgrade (the weapons. Enemies shouldn't be more detailed/less abstract imo). Still a fucking eyesore though. How about the two grotesque nailguns? Does the rotation of the SNG barrel still only have like four frames lol?

Last edited:
OK that is a pretty good upgrade. Still a fucking eyesore though.
Definitely don't disagree there, but Quake's weapons have always been pretty ugly. Rocket launcher's the only one I've got a particular soft spot for. Regular shotty was fairly noticeable too. I also grabbed the nailgun, super nailgun, and super shotty but differences either didn't exist or were subtle enough I didn't notice them.

Original:
latest

New:
D762B962F496BBD5734C8E810C82846EA4015049

Again, making it a little more rounded and a tiny bit more detailed while still keeping it true to the original.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Played it for like 10 minutes:

- Thanks for 10 splash screens when launching my quake, including bethesda logo. I never knew how much I needed that before I saw it.
- It actually looks pretty good apart from the UI, which is blurry af and has ugly cropping artefacts in minimalist mode.
- It's great that music works out of the box.
- Movement is fucked, yeah, too floaty.
- I played too little, but I'm fairly sure they fucked up dmg as well, similarly to the Blood port. Killing ogres with shotgun did not feel as it should.
- Enemy models have yuge problems with clipping when dying, looks lame af.
- Enter key randomly stops working for me in the menus, p annoying.

Ash

Arcane
^so in short, just extract the new expansion pack and otherwise stick to the homebrew source ports. Gotcha.

Still, credit where it is due. this isn't a terrible "remaster" overall. Could be way worse or way more cash-grabby lazy. Movement being fucked was pretty dumb though. the movement is a staple of quake.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
- Tested ogres with sg and double barrel and it seems that it's ok after all.
- Don't like new ogre and doggo models upon closer inspection, grunt and knight look fine.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Most maps the community have made is what feels amateurish to me, but maybe I just get unlucky in the maps I'm downloading. And I still have much more exploring/playing to do in that regard. MUCH more.

Yeah, apparently you do. What the hell do you need to be smoking to say something like that? Easily top three most talented and dedicated community of mappers out there.

JBro

Arbiter
I wish the statusbar had an option to overlay the bottom of the screen instead of pushing everything up, along with an opacity option.

CGJHPpO.png

Ash

Arcane
Most maps the community have made is what feels amateurish to me, but maybe I just get unlucky in the maps I'm downloading. And I still have much more exploring/playing to do in that regard. MUCH more.

Yeah, apparently you do. What the hell do you need to be smoking to say something like that? Easily top three most talented and dedicated community of mappers out there.

May you recommend me some episodes (anything bigger than just singular maps) with just .bsp modification, no .pak/progs.dat please?

I've played two func map jam packs, AD, Quake 1.5's secret maps (I'm not including the boss maps as they are supposed to not be conventional level design), DOTA, and a small handful of single maps.
Obviously there is talent, but only DOTA & AD felt professional, and AD while obviously amazing is too often dictated by grand believable architecture, spectacle and aesthetics rather than abstract absolute priority of gameplay like id, so they often just resort to arena design (nothing wrong with that...in moderation). Though the gameplay is still good and this doesn't apply to every AD mapper. Some maps are nothing short of amazing. So obviously I have a lot more playing to do, but so far none except dota (and some of AD) did it like id. Also every map being forced shotgun start instead of designed collaboratively for continuity as episodes is another thing I wasn't fond of with AD (and many others it seems) and is not how id would do.

It may sound like I hate AD now. I don't. In the top ten mods of all time probably.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Why the arbitrary criteria of absolutely no .pak/progs.dat allowed? You're almost entirely limited to single .bsp files at that point. I know plenty of good standalone maps like that, but if you're looking for entire episodes, yet for some reason don't tolerate progs.dat I'm not sure what to tell you.

Ash

Arcane
I want to play any and all future quake ideally with Quake 1.5 w/ Combat+ Add-on for highly refined and deeper combat experience. This demands no progs.dat or pak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom