Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

mondblut

Arcane
You prefer Isles of Terra to both Xeens? I haven't played any of the Xeen entries yet, but that is not an opinion that I have seen very often.
Clouds is very meh, but Darkside is better than III.
V > III >>> IV

Someone's still playing parts of World of Xeen separately after 1992?

Naharcito

Novice
Interesting thread. I will follow it now. I only played Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 and I enjoyed them a lot. Very good games.

jackofshadows

Magister
You might indrotuce an indicator whether it's a proper blobber or it can be played solo. I'm sure that majority will play max party available at all times but that don't cover it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Are there any modern blobbers that I should be sure to try? Besides Grimrock 1 and 2, which were quite good.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I remember getting really into MMX when it dropped years ago, but being put off by some fairly game-breaking bugs and an annoying interface. I will give it a try again, it has been years.

Is Grimoire really that good? I always assumed it just meme-powered fuckery for the Codex.

I remember getting really into MMX when it dropped years ago, but being put off by some fairly game-breaking bugs and an annoying interface. I will give it a try again, it has been years.

Is Grimoire really that good? I always assumed it just meme-powered fuckery for the Codex.

The lack of documentation is frustrating (or at least was when I played it, maybe it’s been fixed), and calling it a “modern” blobber is perhaps misleading since it very much plays like a early-mid 90s game. But if you can get beyond that, yes, it’s quite good.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Decado Grimoire is excellent.

Other modern ones I enjoy are Stranger Of Sword City, Elminage Gothic, Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls, etc..

Hope u find more u like, it's a wonderful sub-genre of RPGs. :)

jackofshadows

Magister

MMX is a good game, don't listen to others, try for yourself.

As for Grimoire, I wish I could try it but it's just too ugly. If you can pass that, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Might & Magic X could be unplayable for many people now, however. Since its developers (Limbic) went belly-up and since its publisher (Ubisoft) doesn't give a shit, the game's servers are offline.

That means that since the game requires online authentication to play, certain critical things you have to do or have access to are locked out thus meaning you can't move forward in the game. It also means that DLC items such as the game's "relics" are no longer accessible, which removes one of the best aspects of the game.

Look into it before attempting to play.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I’ll add my voice to support a one star system. No need to over complicate it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Interesting thread. I will follow it now. I only played Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 and I enjoyed them a lot. Very good games.
The opening post really should link to the Return to Chaos remake for Windows of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back. The main weakness of the first Legend of Grimrock is that it is perhaps too much of an homage to Dungeon Master. If you enjoyed LoG, you'll certainly appreciate the progenitor of the real-time blobber subgenre of CRPGs.

Is Grimoire really that good?
Grimoire is the Golden Baby of Incline.

xVc0Yov.png

eDwVnsJ.png

ngxHUGD.png

lStmQ4W.png

kA3m1cp.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Dungeon Master should be recommended. Not only did it set the template for most real-time blobbers, its also a damn good game in its own right. And its one of the few that even the '90s centered Codex can agree is a classic, as its one of the top entries in Lady Error's real-time blobber poll, and in the Codex top 101.

dacencora

Are there any modern blobbers that I should be sure to try? Besides Grimrock 1 and 2, which were quite good.
Pretty much the only place where blobbers are still made is Japan. If you’re willing to put up with some anime, there’s a plethora of new games in the genre. Otherwise it’s pretty slim pickings. I’ve heard mixed stuff about Operencia. I agree that calling Grimoire modern is a bit off the mark, because it was first developed in the 90s.

Grimoire is fucking amazing in all aspects. Play it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Might & Magic X could be unplayable for many people now, however. Since its developers (Limbic) went belly-up and since its publisher (Ubisoft) doesn't give a shit, the game's servers are offline.

That means that since the game requires online authentication to play, certain critical things you have to do or have access to are locked out thus meaning you can't move forward in the game. It also means that DLC items such as the game's "relics" are no longer accessible, which removes one of the best aspects of the game.

Look into it before attempting to play.
What about hacked uh (yar har har matey) versions? I have official on pinky demon laptop but i know i have blackbeard's treasured MMX somewhere on a geekstick.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ya'll are missing the most important CRPG of all time (and its sequel and prequel)
DUNGEONS OF MAGDARR
Pre - Dungeons of Death
Seq - Search for Magdarr
s1VhK6R.jpg

cRdVZBw.jpg

M06CrEI.jpg

FtCf3Gw.png

rjoBkBr.jpg

ojGijwy.jpg

FpdpVFD.jpg

75xajxK.jpg

L9cvldy.jpg

You'll never face a blobber like this. Let's see you even get past the password system.

MAGDARR WILL OWN YOU AGAIN & AGAIN!

dacencora

Wait don’t put the swords icon for Wasteland. I don’t think anyone disputes its quality, only whether it belongs on a list of blobbers (I think it ought to, honestly)

Piotrovitz

Savant
I see Demise missing from the list - not that I endorse it, cause it's never ending grind-fest, but still it has it's place among early 2000s blobbers.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Dragon Wars being labeled as a "classic" (ie turn-based hack and slash) blobber feels wrong, that game despite being a Bard's Tale successor is definitely a more modern C&C and plot-heavy RPG, not unlike Wasteland and even latter titles like Arcanum or Planescape: Torment; so perhaps miscellaneous could be the more appropriate category. Also, that game clearly deserves a star, and so does Dark Heart of Uukrul.

And Legends of Amberland is a fun game *thumbs up*.

Here's a year-old poll: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-blobbers-of-the-last-decade.132337/

Besides Grimoire and the Grimrock games, the most voted blobbers were Might and Magic X, Elminage Gothic and Paper Sorcerer, which in my opinion are fun but not particularly good.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
As many have noticed in the case of Dungeon Master, I have started adding stars and swords yesterday evening.
I can add stars to games with many votes for now, and swords to games of which I know that there is dicussion about quality. I will remove the swords for rule breaks for now, maybe replace them with another icon.
So it's open season, recommend games not only for the list, but also for receiving or losing swords or stars.

Also I am thinking about adding another symbol for games that can't be beaten without manual mapping. Would that be usefull information to add? Given that you need external ressources in either grid cartographer or actual graph paper to beat them.
Also perhaps another symbol indicating unusually high difficulty for the genre.
But I am a bit wary, because too much information is less information, and I do not want to overload the table with icons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom