Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think I've seen similar "enhancement" too but I'm not sure it they are identical or from the same artists.

Curratum

YaXDzjJ.png

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
To get things back on track and prevent a predictable meltdown, can anyone tell me if it is worth the effort to register a Bethesda account to access the Add-ons?

What are they even, a curated modlist, paid mods, expansions?

Wunderbar

Arcane
My guess is that they are going to release semi-official mappacks that were sold on CD in the 90s. Such as Shrak, Malice, Abyss of Pandemonium, etc.

Black Plague

Arbiter
-70%
https://www.gog.com/game/quake_the_offering

Polak:
As you may have noticed, Quake® Enhanced (updated and visually enhanced version of the original) is available on Steam since Aug 19th. We're in talks with the publisher and have their confirmation that the GOG version of the update is currently being finalised, and will be available on GOG.COM. We'll be sure to let you know when that happens.
GOG users who already own Quake will automatically receive the new enhanced version with a free download.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Ignorance of history overall? Not exactly. I haven't read Mien Kampf nor know all of Hitler's backstory and every detail behind his motivations, this is true. However, it is my understanding that six million jews died under Hitler's rule. What is it I need to know, exactly? Would you like to enlighten me to the context I am missing? Was hitler just LARPing to hate jews but the military under him went ahead with gassing kids and he was powerless to stop it despite trying everything? Or maybe the holocaust was a hoax? Share your knowledge with us.
Nazis are evil but so are Jews.

Curratum

Cool free update!...*Runs Quake*

"Connecting to Bethesdanet"

:rage:

Quit your whining and praise our Micro$haft overlords who brought us glorious crossplay, console idiots to stomp on in DM, easy coop with friends and an active playercount of nearly 2000 on Steam alone!

schru

Arcane
Quake 1.5 looks atrocious.

The new weapon models are in that ‘inventive’ style for the sake of doing something unusual, and while they're not outright bad in themselves, they can in no way match the iconic simplicity and roughness of Quake. The thunderbolt looks just bad. Moving the viewmodels to the side is also a pointless change that doesn't belong in Quake, as the centred weapons are part of the distinctive feel of the game and add to the sense of intensity. Also, a punchier sound with a deeper thud isn't inherently better, as far as the shotguns are concerned, while the nailgun's and super nailgun's weaker sounds on the other hand are less interesting. Same goes for the grenade launcher.

The weapon models along with the visual changes to maps and lighting also take the graphical style in that more ‘cartoonish fantasy’ direction, like in Arcane Dimensions. Again, it has its merits, but it's not the original style. Said changes to maps, like additional decorations, new lighting, more dark areas, and such are quite arbitrary and only spoil the original, austere look. The new skyboxes (same as those in Arcane Dimensions) are in no way a good replacement for the original gloomy scrolling clouds, which are one of the quintessential aspects of the game.

The new particles and gore aren't very good looking and are more of a visual clutter. The vanilla gibbing is much more satisfying.

The new monsters, partly borrowed from Hexen II, again don't fit the style of the game and while they may increase the complexity of the encounters, that doesn't necessarily amount to greater depth. Quake is one of the best shooters in terms of flow and rhythm, and how all the enemies and weapons complement each other. It'd be nice if its gameplay had a few more pieces, but adding to it without spoiling that masterful system is rather difficult.

The other additions like grenades or torch are rather pointless, and if the latter becomes necessary because of changes in level lighting, then it becomes an imposed gimmick. Same goes for the visible player's body; Quake is one of those shooters where such a feature is particularly out of place because of how central to the game the fast and precise movement with all its potential for rocket-jumping and gaining velocity is. The game isn't meant to be realistic and it's better for immersion not to see the body. Ladders and glass panes only disrupt the flow. This also applies to the slow motion that gets turned on at random when killing enemies. More gimmicks, and not even harmless ones at that.

The kicking seems to deal more damage than the axe and it's more effective at any rate as it can be used without switching the weapon. Giving the player even just a bit more options for dealing with monsters close by takes away from the need to focus on maintaining the distance while utilizing the ranged weapons effectively, as compared to Doom, enemies that were very aggressive about closing the distance with the player were one of the more interesting changes Id had made.

All this isn't to say that there shouldn't be any gameplay conversion mods and that experimenting with the established systems isn't interesting. But to imply that it's a straightforward improvement of Quake's formula is questionable to say the least.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So many flavors of autism in this thread.

On the remaster: I quite like the updated/remastered models as they are obviously more detailed but retain the Quake 1 art style and design. I kinda hope this becomes a trend in remasters where instead of updating models from late 90's graphics to 2020 graphics in terms of polygons and rendering detail, they instead focus on making them look just slightly better, fitting them into the graphics standards of the first few years of the 00's, just "better" enough graphically that they're not going down a rabbit hole of ugly PS2 and later graphics fitted into a retro blocky game. The System Shock 2 remaster NightDive are making seems to be taking the same approach to the enemy models and designs, instead of being ugly PS2 graphics like the Rebirth mod, it just looks like System Shock 2 but with Deus Ex 1 level polygons and detail, which is just enough to make it worth doing in the first place.

Disappointing that the Quake Remaster runs on KEX instead of... you know, its own updated source code. But because the Quake 1 source code is actually released it and they have it to work from it probably doesn't make that much of a difference in the end, unlike with Blood Fresh Supply which is still fucked in the gameplay department and will never see another patch again to fix it, because it was hastily reverse engineered without a source code. Literally all of the unofficial Blood reverse engineered source ports are more accurate to the original game than Fresh Supply is. Fresh Supply has achievements and a nice customizable difficulty feature and that's about it.

Curratum

Imagine spotting autism in this thread and then being an omega-autist about Fresh Supply being inaccurate.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine spotting autism in this thread and then being an omega-autist about Fresh Supply being inaccurate.
Sorry but taking 200 aerosol can ammo to kill a bloated butcher is retarded. Just because it's official doesn't mean it's better.

Ash

Arcane
Quake 1.5 looks atrocious.

The new weapon models are in that ‘inventive’ style for the sake of doing something unusual, and while they're not outright bad in themselves, they can in no way match the iconic simplicity and roughness of Quake. The thunderbolt looks just bad. Moving the viewmodels to the side is also a pointless change that doesn't belong in Quake, as the centred weapons are part of the distinctive feel of the game and add to the sense of intensity. Also, a punchier sound with a deeper thud isn't inherently better, as far as the shotguns are concerned, while the nailgun's and super nailgun's weaker sounds on the other hand are less interesting. Same goes for the grenade launcher.

The weapon models along with the visual changes to maps and lighting also take the graphical style in that more ‘cartoonish fantasy’ direction, like in Arcane Dimensions. Again, it has its merits, but it's not the original style. Said changes to maps, like additional decorations, new lighting, more dark areas, and such are quite arbitrary and only spoil the original, austere look. The new skyboxes (same as those in Arcane Dimensions) are in no way a good replacement for the original gloomy scrolling clouds, which are one of the quintessential aspects of the game.

The new particles and gore aren't very good looking and are more of a visual clutter. The vanilla gibbing is much more satisfying.

The new monsters, partly borrowed from Hexen II, again don't fit the style of the game and while they may increase the complexity of the encounters, that doesn't necessarily amount to greater depth. Quake is one of the best shooters in terms of flow and rhythm, and how all the enemies and weapons complement each other. It'd be nice if its gameplay had a few more pieces, but adding to it without spoiling that masterful system is rather difficult.

The other additions like grenades or torch are rather pointless, and if the latter becomes necessary because of changes in level lighting, then it becomes an imposed gimmick. Same goes for the visible player's body; Quake is one of those shooters where such a feature is particularly out of place because of how central to the game the fast and precise movement with all its potential for rocket-jumping and gaining velocity is. The game isn't meant to be realistic and it's better for immersion not to see the body. Ladders and glass panes only disrupt the flow. This also applies to the slow motion that gets turned on at random when killing enemies. More gimmicks, and not even harmless ones at that.

The kicking seems to deal more damage than the axe and it's more effective at any rate as it can be used without switching the weapon. Giving the player even just a bit more options for dealing with monsters close by takes away from the need to focus on maintaining the distance while utilizing the ranged weapons effectively, as compared to Doom, enemies that were very aggressive about closing the distance with the player were one of the more interesting changes Id had made.

All this isn't to say that there shouldn't be any gameplay conversion mods and that experimenting with the established systems isn't interesting. But to imply that it's a straightforward improvement of Quake's formula is questionable to say the least.

One of the more retarded posts I've read on the 'dex. Knee-jerk autist reaction, inaccuracies and assumptions galore. And I here I was thinking you were a decent poster. Oh well.

schru

Arcane
One of the more retarded posts I've read on the 'dex. Knee-jerk autist reaction, inaccuracies and assumptions galore. And I here I was thinking you were a decent poster. Oh well.
Because of one post?

Well, you might want to look for a mod that improves your taste.

Ash

Arcane
Says the one shunning the best Quake core enhancement mod and throwing inaccurate assumptions about it around. No wonder the dev abandoned it if these are the autistic reactions he got.

Curratum

The biggest autism I see here is some half-assed modjob trying to "improve" and "fix flaws" in one of the most universally loved retro shooters, just like modders are always try to "fix" games they supposedly like, while shitting all over their good core with their ridiculous "improvements".

Ash

Arcane
Shut the fuck up Curratum You're perhaps the biggest halfwit on the dex and nearly everything you say has zero validity and correlation with reality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom