Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

Mazisky

Magister
So beta out and no leaked footage yet?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
LoL as much as the bulgars got raped by that sjw writing,i feel sorry for the poles. I am playing the fucking medieval twilight story buahahahahaha. Storyfag is Jadwiga one of your loved rulers or as irrelevant like the Tzar that was in our campaign ?
Wrong thread.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

If this is their promotional material, they should stop because they're reminding people about how shit Age of Fortnite looks without conveying any useful information.

EDIT: Posted vid of Nest of Bees unit

Tigranes

Arcane
So those Bees, actually. They were interestingly OP in the beta. What they did was make every unit far more snappy and responsive in general - including artillery. Most artillery units still need to pack and unpack, but they can spin around near-instantly while walking, fire much more instantly at enemies once ordered, etc., losing a lot of the sluggishness they had in Age3. Combine this with the fact that the Bees, as you can see, have AOE impact....

Basically, you'd walk up there with 20 bowmen not yet aware of the enemy, and from the edges of fog of war a couple bees will shoot at you, and all your dudes are dead. Basically siege onager levels of destructions. And because they are so much more responsive, charging them with heavy cav is not a guaranteed success! The Bees might very easily kill you first, with any kind of screening force.

They are rebalancing it and it could yet end up a better design where siege units are very responsive (not realistic, but that's no big deal) and yet not OP - but in the Beta it did change the old Age 2 equations around towers and siege a fair bit.

vota DC

Augur
Those video are disappearing in no time only leak that was translated in words was something about a saracen faction.

Shrimp

Arbiter
The gameplay in that video honestly looked a lot closer to AoE2 than whatever the hell they've been showing in all the trailers and teasers.
They should reconsider the NDA or at least publish some actual gameplay footage, because I imagine seeing some gameplay could help alleviate some of the doubt that it's going to be a mobile game on PC.

With that being said I still don't think I'm interested in buying it since I still don't know what it brings to the table that AoE2 doesn't as well as the fact that there only will be a tiny amount of starting civilisations (translation: all future civs will be paid unlocks) but I have to admit that it at least looks closer to AoE2 than I had expected.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Watch as we highlight everyone’s favorite medieval weapon – the trebuchet! Shot on location at Warwick Castle in England with Mechanical Engineer Dr. Shini Somara, see a full-scale trebuchet in action with insight into how this weapon of war worked.

The Hands on History video series is twenty-eight unlockable videos filmed on location with experts around the world, giving players a deeper look into the way people lived, fought, and ruled in the past. Age of Empires IV will bring history to life like never before, with Hands on History telling more stories as players build, battle, and Age up!

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
The gameplay in that video honestly looked a lot closer to AoE2 than whatever the hell they've been showing in all the trailers and teasers.
They should reconsider the NDA or at least publish some actual gameplay footage, because I imagine seeing some gameplay could help alleviate some of the doubt that it's going to be a mobile game on PC.

With that being said I still don't think I'm interested in buying it since I still don't know what it brings to the table that AoE2 doesn't as well as the fact that there only will be a tiny amount of starting civilisations (translation: all future civs will be paid unlocks) but I have to admit that it at least looks closer to AoE2 than I had expected.
They showed yet another preview at Gamescon and it was the exact same shit and once again with an "Actual ingame footage" watermark. What the hell is their goal here?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As part of gamescom Opening Night Live, we gave a first look at the remaining launch civilizations and campaigns; The Rus, The Holy Roman Empire and The Rise of Moscow campaign.

At launch, players will get to build and expand Moscow over time. The Rus’ skills in hunting, trade and construction combined with a battle-ready cavalry will see them become more powerful as they expand to new frontiers through the Ages. We showcase two unique units, the Streltsy and Warrior Monks (wololo!). The Streltsy’s combination of axe and gunpowder partnered with the conversion capabilities of Warrior Monks will make a Rus army a force to be reckoned with.

The Holy Roman Empire’s civilization is shaped by a powerful infantry army and early access to religious units. Seen in today’s trailer, their Prelate unit supports and heals, inspiring nearby armies to grant benefits. The two-handed sword of the Landsknecht will be an asset to any battle.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It looks like a combination of Stronghold and Age of Mythology, but worse. That priest who was blessing the villager gathering wood reminds me of pharaohs in AoM. I still don't see what this offers that AoE2 doesn't.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Just show us the fucking gameplay already. I want to see the UI. I want to see some actual players playing this. Nobody cares about this scripted, cinematic garbage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

As Gamescom 2021 continues to roll into the weekend, Adam Isgreen and Quinn Duffy talk with Alex Stedman about the recently announced details about the Holy Roman Empire and the Rus!

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.ageofempires.com/news/ageiv-tech-stress-test/

Make Your Mark On History with the Age of Empires IV Technical Stress Test

AoE Official
September 14, 2021
AoE4_1920x1080.png

If you’re reading this, then you’re invited to join the Age of Empires IV Technical Stress Test from Friday, September 17th, at 10 a.m. PT through Monday, September 20th, at 10 a.m. PT! That’s right, we’re gearing up for a large-scale test that will allow YOU to get hands on experience with Age IV prior to its release date.

Read on for more information about the Technical Stress Test, and don’t forget to tell your friends! It’s time to assemble your armies and help stress the Age IV systems and services as launch draws near.

How Does This Event Differ from Closed Beta?
If you joined us for the Age IV Closed Beta event in August, welcome back! If you didn’t, we’re glad to have you this time around.

The Technical Stress Test differs from our Closed Beta in three key ways:

1. Our goals are different! This time around, we’re focused on scale testing our servers and systems in preparation for the October 28th release date. One reason we are hosting this event over a single weekend is that we are interested in driving as many people into the Technical Stress Test build as possible during this window to make sure that our matchmaking, lobbies and additional systems hold strong.
  2. The Technical Stress Test will not be gated by an invite! Previously, we had some requirements that won’t be necessary this time around. The build will be available in the Xbox Insider Hub app (available in the Microsoft Store) or Steam regardless of whether you’re an Age Insider or not. The larger our audience for this Technical Stress Test, the more successful it will be!
  3. We’re welcoming all players who meet or exceed our minimum spec. We’re introducing additional in-game settings in the Technical Stress Test, which means that you’ll be able to join us so long as you meet the Age of Empires IV minimum spec. During this event, the game will automatically detect and select the correct settings based on hardware, including settings specifically included for min spec devices.
What Content Will Be Available in the Technical Stress Test?
Most aspects of the game available during this event will be focused on the multiplayer experience. However, you will have the opportunity to play against AI via the Multiplayer Custom Lobby, as well as try out Mission Zero (the game’s tutorial). Given this is a Technical Stress Test, we encourage you to play against others participating. The more data we get from different match-ups across various servers, the more action our development team will be able to take to prep our systems for the big day.

There will be four civilizations available – the English, the Chinese, the Holy Roman Empire and the Abbasid Dynasty – and five different maps.

How Do I Get Started?
On Friday, September 17th, you should be able to access the build in one of two ways:

• Via the Xbox Insider Hub app on PC. Just check the Preview tab for Age of Empires IV to download the build for the Technical Stress Test.
Pre-sign up is available now via the Xbox Insider Hub and on Steam. If you have questions about participating in the Technical Stress Test, you can keep an eye out on our FAQ here, which we’ll be updating in the days to come.

Where Can I Provide My Feedback?
You will be able to provide feedback in the official Age forums. We’ll keep an eye on other community-frequented locations, but you’ll have the best chance of being heard if you stick to the forums for this event! We’ll be focused primarily on stability, performance and matchmaking or server reports during this event.

What’s Changed Since the Closed Beta?
A number of tweaks and changes have been made since the Closed Beta in August:

• Changes to the camera distance. Based on closed beta feedback, we have tweaked the maximum distance that the camera can zoom out. This allows for more visibility on-screen while you play.
  • Balance work. For those that joined us, you will notice additional balance work that’s gone into both the English and Chinese civilizations.
  • Bug fixes. We always appreciate the community’s attention to detail! The closed beta group called out a number of bugs that were impacting visuals, audio, economy and in-game settings that have been fixed in this build.
Is This Event Under NDA?
Unlike the Age IV Closed Beta, we will not be enforcing a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) during the Technical Stress Test. We want to encourage you to play as much as possible and reduce the steps you need to take to join us. We also want to make sure you’re able to invite and play with your friends during this window of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom