Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Curratum

FuFY3Jj.jpg

Feelsgoodman. First time I beat Quake's original campaign on Nightmare, and the 50 health cap was actually an interesting challenge.

Curratum

Nightmare on this version seems a lot easier than the original.

Haven't played enough Nightmare on the original to judge but a lot of people claim the monster turret-like "plant and shoot forever" AI was easier to exploit in the original.

Riskbreaker

PS: I fucking hate Spawns!
If this wasn't cemented for me, final stretch of 'Fading Embers' from DotM on Nightmare would've taken care of that alright. (and speaking of that map, certain scripted 'traps' seem to be designed to troll non-savescumming players)

finding satisfaction in positioning himself as 'edgy' within a virtual system of signs
What if he does not share your value system at all and does not think it is edgy or worthy of pearl clutching? What if that is something that only exists on your end and you can't phantom that anyone could operate under a different set of assumptions than you do? Imagine thinking that Lenin can't be considered as a historical person and as a thinker without coming to the same conclusion you have and without making the same value judgements you also have made. Is it possible to get more arrogant than that? To mindlessly make the ever-shifting platform of Western liberalism your universal and axiomatic truth? You would think the Taliban rejecting this entire project of yours and winning would make you rethink your position of taking American imperialism as being inescapable.

It is you that are declaring his position edgy and a cause of butthurt, not him. And he isn't even doing anything, he just has Hitler as an avatar and is going about his business posting about video games.
You've no idea about where I'm coming from or about value judgements behind what I wrote.
Thing is tho, you've no consciousness of where YOU are coming from.
Going by your prior posts, you are Russian, or Ukrainian or Belarus. Am I right in assuming this?
So you are someone of Slavic descent idolizing Hitler online, calling this person sporting a picture of Hitler as their avatar "one of the least political posters" (!!!), all of it on an international messageboard dedicated to video games.
The condition of advanced, global capitalist modernity is the condition of your possibility. Only via radical separation from one's history and thru that history being made fluid, only thru being separated from anything like inherited unifying narrative, only via alienation from your immediate environment and being more 'at home' in a virtual world of weightlessness and fluidity, only via oversaturation of information, of being exposed to infinity of mutually contradictory narratives without any unifying basis, only thus could you be so constituted that you, a man of Slavic descent, would write what you wrote and where you wrote it.
Only under the specific conditions of late capitalism are you or others like you here possible. Your 'rebellion' against liberalism is the affirmation thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

Fuck spawns in general. I died so many times to hilarious, 20-meter leaps and bounds it's not funny. The 50 max hp doesn't help at all, as every explosion one shots you even with leftover armor.

Ash

Arcane
^Just one reason of many the 50hp change to Nightmare (taken from copper mod) is retarded, instead of the better vanilla design. I don't know how they can justify such a significant and stupid change in a rerelease.

"but vanilla nightmare turns enemies into turrets!!!"

Knights, Hell Knights, Spawns, rottweiler, rotfish and fiend are all melee-only and therefore are not turret-ified, with one exception being hell knight's projectile attack which he performs while moving.

Vores and zombies are turrets either way, since they have such slow movement speed.

Grunts and enforcers are gunners...they're supposed to be turret-like. Anytime one of these guys are not shooting they're just walking around like idiots open to an easy kill...why would that be desired on the highest difficulty?

This only leaves Shamblers, Ogres and Scrags. Shamblers have a limited projectile range so have to move in on your position regardless of anything. They are also easily abusable with the "shambler dance", though vanilla nightmare makes it more risky to attempt thanks to more frequent and extended duration of lightning. Vanilla nightmare makes these guys better.
Scrags become quite turret-like indeed, and once again I think that's the point. Again they'll otherwise just be flying around being a non-threat. Sure repositioning can be a tactical advantage, but suppressing fire is generally better. And furthermore they'll move any time line of sight is broken or you move out of range anyway.
Ogres are the only enemy type this turret behavior stands out in a bad way, because they spam the absolute shit out of their grenades (the strongest attack in the game outside of spawn explosion!) and baiting their chainsaw is just too risky, as a grenade to the face isn't pretty. They really stand there and go at it. Yet so what if you can just circle-strafe them? You can do so all the same on hard as long as the level design allows it. This makes it harder if you ask me since nades are bouncing around everywhere. So instead of perhaps just tweaking the orge if this is really such an issue (meh), they removed all the nightmare stuff and instead made nightmare 50hp. 50hp means more annoying instant deaths, just two voreballs or ogre grenades and you're fucked, stuff like self-damage with RL being highly punishing (accidental because something got in your face, or rocket jumps), dying to one spawn that explodes anywhere near you, backtracking for health packs is now twice as frequent (since you only "carry" half the health) and more. Vanilla nightmare was mostly fine. This is dumb. Could have at least just added a new difficulty called nightmare alternate or something, triggerable via console? What justifies replacing id's long-established superior design in an official rerelease? It wasn't perfect, well then tweak it a little, not make it entirely different and annoying.

Edit: Well, this has inspired me to do some further nightmare tweaking.

Last edited:
Why shambler, I had always seen you as a monster but it is only now that I see you as a woman.

898204832D9084429016CBD50796E1FBA51A440B

:bounce::bounce::bounce:
I now know why that map is called Vault of Zin and the shambler is safely secured within.

Well that's a bit odd. Saw someone in here talking about clipping on the interface but I hadn't seen it until just now. Quit long enough to make my shambler shitpost and then fired it back up, and with zero fucking around with settings I'm now getting lines around armor/health/ammo numbers.

2031738278094D69F3F88FDAED75C66874CA9E51

Edit: And then rebooting the game cleared 'em away once again. Mysterious.

Curratum

Controller Players Can Do Just as Well as Mouse Players, the Sequel

5ZtseJp.jpg

I'm just salty because I've been banned from the Quake discussion hub for a month over an argument with a "controller is as good as mouse" retard, who obviously got his feelings hurt and reported me, then the Steam feelings police immediately banned me.

Once my ban lifts, I should make a collage of those scoreboards and post it as artwork on the hub...

Ash

Arcane
The mouse is better for speedy precision. It's not even an argument to be had. Controller has some advantages of it's own, but few are going to be any good in Quake since it wasn't designed for it. Unless Kex has made some changes, e.g more than just four-directional binary input movement.
Someone pointed out you do have yet another extra advantage though: Quake is long-running PC game of 25 years. PC players know the maps, any meta strategies. item respawn times, optimal routes etc. Knowledge that easily leads to total domination. Given this fact in addition to the controller disadvantage some do seem to be actually doing quite well.

Last edited:

Curratum

The mouse is better for speedy precision. It's not even an argument to be had.
Someone pointed out you do have an extra advantage though: Quake is long-running PC game of 25 years. PC players know the maps, any meta strategies. item respawn times, optimal routes etc. Knowledge that easily leads to total domination. Given this fact in addition to the controller disadvantage some do seem to be actually doing quite well.

I never played Quake 1 DM in my life before this updated release and don't know any of the maps apart from Place of Two Deaths which I ran around on my own for 5 minutes. I also died about 5 times in that Claustrophobopolis match because of the teleports that drop you into open lava traps :hahano:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The cut part from E2M6 (cut due to floppy disk size) has been known and the original map file was shared before, but now it's officially restored.

Also comparisons from lead designer of Quake Champions. Not just subtle colored lighting but also shows actual geometry changes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Fucking twitter is now plasters a huge "log in or sign up!" window on top of a screenshot and doesn't allow me to close it without closing a screenshot too.

:x

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The mouse is better for speedy precision. It's not even an argument to be had. Controller has some advantages of it's own, but few are going to be any good in Quake since it wasn't designed for it. Unless Kex has made some changes, e.g more than just four-directional binary input movement.
Someone pointed out you do have yet another extra advantage though: Quake is long-running PC game of 25 years. PC players know the maps, any meta strategies. item respawn times, optimal routes etc. Knowledge that easily leads to total domination. Given this fact in addition to the controller disadvantage some do seem to be actually doing quite well.
But Quake already had analogue movement.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
My friend said this game was like COD and I love COD so I gave it a try. Its fun but I have problems with it. How do you aim down sights? Hdo you sprint? How do I enable the quest markers?

thnks.
--------------------

Enjoying the game, but a lot of global achievements are < 4%. Is anyone playing this more than 1 hour?

Curratum

So worth getting if never played Quake before? Or use original with source port?

Absolutely worth getting it. You get everything bundled together in one executable, the new engine is good as it is and the few remaining quirks will be ironed out. And you get two new official, high-quality expansions bundled with the two old ones.

Working matchmaking multi / online coop with friends. I mean, come on...

schru

Arcane
So worth getting if never played Quake before? Or use original with source port?
It seems to contain the original files and executables, so it's a complete release that should let you play whichever way you like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom