Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't know how those work.
I'm not sure what you did to turn them off, but it's probably something in your privacy settings. Maybe I could reply if you sent me one? It's done by going Inbox -> Start new conversation next to your name at the top of the page.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For people like me who naturally gravitate to TB everything RT feels like a clusterfuck
That slow huh? I never considered myself even an amateur at real time, but played starcraft, warcraft 3, Unreal, CS, with friends at computer clubs so I guess thats why infinity engine waltz is just very natural for me. I can't for any reason figure out why it can be difficult to move your party around while landing fireballs in RTWP and all that. It's just 4-6 units and a bunch of dumb enemies.
And I more or less consider myself sucking at all this, like I remember SC Brood War missions being difficult for me.

I'd probably still prefer comfy blanket and tea and making turns but I don't see how BG is difficult for example. And of course I like the concept of enemies reacting to you all the time instead of waiting cause I won initiative and now am going to kill them in 1 turn.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Literally a moment's thought. It's really easy if you don't have your blinders on.
I am more of Mr. Che Guevara way of thinking: "At the smallest of doubt we must execute." For me this is a neutral approach. "Help us restore the balance" is unequivocally Good.

May be it is doomed to "Evil" paths for a Western setting, I don't know.

DLC Class: Occultist.
DLC Companion: weirdass cultist of the cthullu things.
DLC Campaign: Pharasma is asking you to do something about the King in Yellow (Hastur).

You read it here first.

I'd rather they leave the Occultist (and Investigator) for when/if they adapt the Strange Aeons module, hell if it were for me Owlcat would just keep making Pathfinder games forever but I can see how that would be stifling artistically speaking

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DLC Class: Occultist.
DLC Companion: weirdass cultist of the cthullu things.
DLC Campaign: Pharasma is asking you to do something about the King in Yellow (Hastur).

You read it here first.

I'd rather they leave the Occultist (and Investigator) for when/if they adapt the Strange Aeons module, hell if it were for me Owlcat would just keep making Pathfinder games forever but I can see how that would be stifling artistically speaking

Just don't play a mesmerist in Strange Aeons, pretty much everything in Book 4 onwards is immune to mind affecting.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just don't play a mesmerist in Strange Aeons, pretty much everything in Book 4 onwards is immune to mind affecting.

What about transformation magic? Like a disintegrate arcane trickster?

Anything that can completely counter regeneration is great in Strange Aeons as a lot of enemies in the later books have obscure regeneration and disintegration can completely bypass the requirements.

Whether Owlcat actually do another 1e AP though or move to 2e after Wrath? Who knows. Strange Aeons would be a good choice though if they do another 1e AP.

I just hope they balance the sanity system better around martials if they decide to port it from Horror Adventures.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whether Owlcat actually do another 1e AP though or move to 2e after Wrath? Who knows. Strange Aeons would be a good choice though if they do another 1e AP.

Me too. Owlcat should maintain 1E. 2E is too "5eesque".

Another thing which they could do is to adapt retroclones. Imagine how cool a adaptation of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea or Lamentations of the Flame princess.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
For people like me who naturally gravitate to TB everything RT feels like a clusterfuck
That slow huh? I never considered myself even an amateur at real time, but played starcraft, warcraft 3, Unreal, CS, with friends at computer clubs so I guess thats why infinity engine waltz is just very natural for me. I can't for any reason figure out why it can be difficult to move your party around while landing fireballs in RTWP and all that. It's just 4-6 units and a bunch of dumb enemies.
And I more or less consider myself sucking at all this, like I remember SC Brood War missions being difficult for me.

I'd probably still prefer comfy blanket and tea and making turns but I don't see how BG is difficult for example.

I just preferred Empire Warlords Civ Master of Magic HoMM Wiz Gold Box etc..

TB wasn't a thing in coin-op so was nice contrast.

TheIncredibleWuu

Barely Literate
Hi I’m new to the codex but I have alot of experience calling people faggots and retards in real life so I think I have the requisite skills to contribute here.

First time pathfinder, I’m dead set on playing Hagbound Witch in WOTR (bc it’s cool and I’m a dumb cuck). Any tips on making my MC effective as a hagbound ?

Desiderius

Patron
There’s a 200 post thread on Owlcat Forums.

https://forum.owlcatgames.com/t/looking-at-hagbound/40151/201

Basically fight early, (infinite cast Curse = -4 atk/saves) middle, nuke late.

Use your feats (and Mythic Feats) for Spell Focus Necro, Spell Pen, and Metamagic.

Iceplant Hex and Archmage Armor to help stay alive in melee. Selective Metamagic to cast your Necro cones. Amulet of Mighty Fists/Magic Fang + Crusader’s Edge and you’ll hit pretty hard. Strength Patron gives you Divine Favor/Power and Bull’s Strength so try to keep those up when fighting.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Another thing which they could do is to adapt retroclones. Imagine how cool a adaptation of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea or Lamentations of the Flame princess.
I kinda of want to see Owlcats making their own game in their own setting after this. Russian RPGs always suffer from either being too derivative of Fallout or mixing too much dumb shit together until game looks like frankenstein monster stitched together from multiple minigames. But maybe this studio can finally pull off a solid RPG in their own style.
Without Daddy free artists can make their own setting, characters and stories and their own systems, which might be interesting.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron

I kinda of want to see Owlcats making their own game in their own setting after this. Russian RPGs always suffer from either being too derivative of Fallout or mixing too much dumb shit together until game looks like frankenstein monster stitched together from multiple minigames. But maybe this studio can finally pull off a solid RPG in their own style.
Without Daddy free artists can make their own setting, characters and stories and their own systems, which might be interesting.
I am not sure about this. IMHO we, Russians, are better at deconstructing Western lies than creating our own.

However, for authentic experience you can check "Black Book". It has minuscule budget, but is a true Russian game which does not try to pander to Western expectations.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Black Book is an example of what we can make that is unique and can stand on its own feet and don't cost much, that's the thing.

In fact Black Book has better writing and story and setting than many RPGs.

Desiderius

Patron
Some more, er, interesting dialogue (from two different encounters):

NenioDaeranwriting.jpg

Eldritch Archer with Cleaving Shot and Elemental Barrage machine gunning:

CleavingBarrage.jpg

There's a very tough fight against a Druid that drops DC 40 Polar Midnight and I couldn't figure out why Daeran was immune. Then figured out it was this from Waves Mystery:

IceBody.jpg

Swift Action pwnage FTW:

ColdIceStrike.jpg

Monks like Lann can get this too so not a waste to stay ZA20. Killer Cleric forgot to prebuff (Divine Power, Righteous Might, Eaglesoul) so had to go to plan B.

SosvsHard Siabre.jpg

Hard will make you pay. One more round and the whole team was running out of DEX.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

OwlCat was hiring a SCI FI artist ( https://forum.owlcatgames.com/t/owlcat-is-hiring-a-scifi-artist/27032 )

So my guess is that their next game will be either a starfinder game, a Iron Gods AP adaptation or a game set in owlcat ruleset. I prefer the second because Startfinder lacks tier 9 casters. Even at high level as a technomancer in SF, you will spend most of the time using weapons. I pray for Iron Gods adaptation, a owlcat own game depends. OwlCat is amazing in adaptating TTRPGs, but who knows about they making their own ruleset. Can be something amazing or something awful.

If they do their own ruleset, I wanna a type of fantasy rarely made, like a steampunk fantasy.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

OwlCat was hiring a SCI FI artist ( https://forum.owlcatgames.com/t/owlcat-is-hiring-a-scifi-artist/27032 )

So my guess is that their next game will be either a starfinder game, a Iron Gods AP adaptation or a game set in owlcat ruleset. I prefer the second because Startfinder lacks tier 9 casters. Even at high level as a technomancer in SF, you will spend most of the time using weapons. I pray for Iron Gods adaptation, a owlcat own game depends. OwlCat is amazing in adaptating TTRPGs, but who knows about they making their own ruleset. Can be something amazing or something awful.

If they do their own ruleset, I wanna a type of fantasy rarely made, like a steampunk fantasy.
I believe they are making their own game, from what I remember reading on the 'dex.

Delterius Desiderius Any idea how caster level would work for an Ecclesitheurge with a merged spellbook? For curiosities sake, how about a hypothetical Feyspeaker Druid/Fey Bloodline Sorcerer, gone Ecclesitheurge with a merged Trickster mythic path spellbook. How would the caster level for arcane/divine work with that?

You mean Mystic Theurge. Don’t really need what MT brings to the table in Wrath since you get more rests and you’re already getting more spells than you know what to do with from the Merged Spellbook.

Yes, I did mean mystic theurge. I think I realized the answer to my own question though. Mythic spellbook merging goes to a base class, not prestige. So if you merged spellbooks on a mystic theurge, one spellcasting class (arcane or divine) would be "caught up" to your character level, while the other would function as a bonus. It would be cool if you could apply it to the mystic theurge directly though. Everything else in WotR seems broken enough already. It wouldn't be out of place.

Its not broken man, not close. All kinds of ways to get tons of spells, hard part is landing them.

Getting a second spellcasting only a couple of levels behind your primary spellcasting class without any set-backs is pretty damn good. An Azata mystic theurge using Favorable Magic, Zippy Magic, and anything which improves spell penetration could have some serious endurance. No more would you be filling time between when you need to cast spells. You could simply cast every action from dawn till dusk. Going mystic theurge would effectively allow you to double your spellbook without any loss of CL. If abundant casting applies to all casting classes, and not one, then it's even crazier. A character could end up with something like quadruple spells, that cast twice when single target, at which enemies have disadvantage. All at no loss to CL.

Humbaba

Arcane
I am more of Mr. Che Guevara way of thinking: "At the smallest of doubt we must execute." For me this is a neutral approach. "Help us restore the balance" is unequivocally Good.

May be it is doomed to "Evil" paths for a Western setting, I don't know.

You communists are a wild bunch.

I am not sure about this. IMHO we, Russians, are better at deconstructing Western lies than creating our own.

Oh please, the only difference between Russian and Western lies is that Russian ones are sold via nationalist rhetoric while Western ones with internationalist rhetoric.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Getting a second spellcasting only a couple of levels behind your primary spellcasting class without any set-backs is pretty damn good. An Azata mystic theurge using Favorable Magic, Zippy Magic, and anything which improves spell penetration could have some serious endurance. No more would you be filling time between when you need to cast spells. You could simply cast every action from dawn till dusk. Going mystic theurge would effectively allow you to double your spellbook without any loss of CL. If abundant casting applies to all casting classes, and not one, then it's even crazier. A character could end up with something like quadruple spells, that cast twice when single target, at which enemies have disadvantage. All at no loss to CL.

It's not 'only a couple of levels behind' it's delaying your spells for your primary class by at least three (or possibly 4) levels. Unless you're an Angel or a Lich with merged books you will never get access to level 9 spells. It will have the azata 'pseudo rest' spell to keep you casting forever, I suppose, but losing out -3 or -4 on caster level checks will hurt against a lot of magic resistant targets, even if you have spell penetration.

If you really want to go for it, then an Angel oracle (4-6)/sorcerer (4-6)/mystic theurge 10 with merged spell books would probably be more effective than an azata, as would a Lich Sorcerer (4-6)/Oracle (4-6)/MT 10.

Desiderius

Patron
I guess if you want to play an unmerged Spellbook it's a way to get extra spells or whatever? If that's what you're after knock yourself out. I always end up with way more spells than I can cast but sometimes there's something specific you want that your book doesn't have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom