Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still haven't bought it or CP2077. Eh....

Haven't bought or haven't played ? :smug:
Actually both. I haven't pirated it either. I did find my Azalta notes, Deadly Tower Notes, Magdarr, apshai, ACS, Alternate Reality, and Sword of Kadash notes.

Oh... and GBC Ultima 3 notes and unfinished map. I was supposed to write up a walkthrough a decade ago.

I'm fucking lazy.

KVVRR

Learned
Jamrock DLC / Pale navigation sequel when
My only issue with any future games or DLC navigating the pale is that it seems like HELL to actually implement visually and can become quite a mess. You can't show the pale itself since it's completely featureless so you're entirely reliant on showing how it affects matter, but how do you start doing that? Do you make it look like a dream? Do you just implement vapour and things dissolving and that's it? How far do you actually go? Eventually there should be nothing left to show anything at all. Joyce describes it as "sailing the ocean at night" so you can imagine it doesn't have a lot of stuff on it already.
It can have some cool shit though. Imagine you go too deep into the pale and not only you have a hard time knowing where to go, your thoughts become more and more abrasive and things start to break down to the point where even the UI is unresponsive.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The Pale is lent so much ominous mystique from it only being described, never visualized. With only accounts from those who've experienced it and secondhand effects of it's existence on the world illustrating it's power.

Making it retain that threatening mystique in-game'd require more than just some brushed level geometry. Would have to pull every possible bit of UI, Perception and Visual trickery in designing it as a piece of game-world.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
You can't show the pale itself since it's completely featureless so you're entirely reliant on showing how it affects matter, but how do you start doing that? Do you make it look like a dream? Do you just implement vapour and things dissolving and that's it? How far do you actually go?

For some reason I picture it Sunless Skies-style, but surely there is a great field for creativity here.

Also wtf happened to Sacred and Terrible Air book, the English version was promised to be published in 2020? Everyone kinda forgot about it.

KVVRR

Learned
You can't show the pale itself since it's completely featureless so you're entirely reliant on showing how it affects matter, but how do you start doing that? Do you make it look like a dream? Do you just implement vapour and things dissolving and that's it? How far do you actually go?

For some reason I picture it Sunless Skies-style, but surely there is a great field for creativity here.

Also wtf happened to Sacred and Terrible Air book, the English version was promised to be published in 2020? Everyone kinda forgot about it.
IMO Sunless Skies is too... well, not grounded, but there's a sense that the things that you're seeing are actually the things there for the most part. There's no dream-like state that I would've imagine the pale to be (with some exceptions like the london clock, the stars, and so on). If they do end up with something like that my only wish is that they don't implement the awful combat system that game has. It makes the whole thing stop to a crawl every time.

the running joke about one learning estonian so they might actually read the damn book before it's translated might end up becoming a reality at this pace

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm only at the end of Day 2 and there are so many issues with voiceover it's damn painful. if I play for 2 hours then I'm wasting 30 minutes for submitting bugs and issues and there are no patches in sight.

The voice acting is great in my opinion, but the technical side? The most common issue is that voiceover and dialogues do not match and that some dialogues have no voiceover at all. I thought the game was already completed. How could they screw it up so badly and how are they going to fix this mess now? Finding actors and putting them back in the studio again? An absolutely terrible job they did.

And when I'm thinking about it, there must be many more issues I just cannot see them all with my character, but others will.

P.S. Fake news my ass. Literally, at the very beginning of Day 1 the sleeping dockworker's first line doesn't have a VO. How the fuck did they even test it?

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
It could be annoying yeah, that's why full VO sucks for people who prefer to read. Imagine how many issues this cause for people who actually love VO because they DO NOT READ beyond choosing replies and some other stuff? Zero. And you could just switch to non-full VO, try classic mode perhaps?

Latelistener

Arcane
I could do many things but it won't solve any of the issues above. I do like playing with Full VO, but I also read.

Robber Baron

Savant
Should I worry about branching story with failed checks or is it simple pass/didn't pass to continue?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wait why are you talking about Pale navigation, did they say something about it?

At this point I'm not sure did they mentioned it once, or was it my imagination. Kasparov could you say something?
I’d guess it was your imagination, but then again pale works in mysterious ways.

What would you like me to say?
When is the sequel/expansion coming out ?
Disco Purgatory?
Disco Nirvana?
Disco Tarterus?
Disco Ragnarok?
Maybe we'll be out of the Disco phase. Or DE2 ....

Red Hexapus

Learned
Should I worry about branching story with failed checks or is it simple pass/didn't pass to continue?
You should embrace the failed checks, very often they bring in interesting results. It's quite hard to fail the main story. For the story relevant quests you will get a chance to retry with higher modifier (either by finding some clues or by investing in a given skill)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom