Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Gerrard

Arcane
How to win at combat in KCD:
  1. equip as much armor as you can
  2. use bane poison

SoupNazi

Fighting 2 enemies at once is very difficult. I tried cheesing it in several ways but in the end I ended up just... winning by spamming the same mouse clicks I did hours prior.

What am I doing wrong

Duels just take practice in being able to riposte properly to be honest, then you can just fairly easily counterattack almost anything that comes at you. For fights with more opponents, make sure you have the button for enabling/disabling lock-on within reach, as well as switch lock-on targets, and use them frequently. The key is to defend and look for openings, but you have to be able to quickly switch. Stabs are faster than swings, so I usually preferred those and jabbed at multiple opponents. Fights were long, but doable. You can also just disable lock-on to do that, but I found it easier with the switching.

But I don't think anything more than 3 opponents is doable, and even then you'll need a good bit of luck and practice.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What am I doing wrong

You need to equip the ring.

Alternatively, learn Master Strike from Captain Bernard. Also, enemies will always be vulnerable when you've managed to Clinch, Master Strike, or Perfect Block them.

But I don't think anything more than 3 opponents is doable, and even then you'll need a good bit of luck and practice.

It is doable. I managed to singlehandedly wipe out the entire bandit encampment at Pribyslavitz (only to realise there was no reward for doing so). Then again, I already had some of the best equipment.

Having the doggo from A Woman's Lot DLC also helps a lot during the early game when you're outnumbered.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Ok, started this, played 10h in 2 days lol.

Lol theresa is 5 times more badass than henry in her dlc, those fucking stealth kills like a master assassin.

ok, i'm a guard now and i bet hans will be my best friend forever, no homo.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I need to get back to this. I did nothing in the main quest but I'm well over equiped because in almost 100h I only choked and robbed peasants atthe side of the road. Some of them was filth rich, by the way. I remember I recognized one that was gambling just before. Now I'm waiting outside of the bars in town, just in case. Everyone hates me, but whatever.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Nah, gonna only steal/mug for plot revelant quest, my henry is a good boy.
But still gonna murder every pagan in sight, yes.

jackofshadows

Magister
What am I doing wrong
It's not all about this "fighting mini-game". They've tried to make char's skills matter and the gear of course. Once you get your hands on full plate with a proper helm and everything, take some top mace (I also recommend them at least for starters, swords are way more tricky, although they might give more fun at fencing after some practice, the most basic trick is riposte in the fucking eye with it). Untill you get all that though I recommend spend time on alchemy and learn how to make night vision potions. With them and a stealth gear set (which can be dirt cheap) you can easily clean bandit camps at nights if you like that sort of thing of course.

otsego

Cipher
60hrs in and I'm... Winning... But still not 100% sure how. I went maces intuitively because I figured it defeated armor and only learned recently by reading some in-game codex that I was correct.

Geared and skilled up so 3-4 mid-tier enemies aren't a big problem anymore, although the odd random road encounter with Cumans wrecks my shit embarrassingly. Basically winning by doing riposte and draining their stamina.
Carrying a sword, mace and axe now for situation encounters.

I also recently realized I couldn't do special moves because I was using a longsword with shield, which apparently is a no-no if you want to break noses with the pommel of your sword.

Whoops!

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
60hrs in and I'm... Winning... But still not 100% sure how. I went maces intuitively because I figured it defeated armor and only learned recently by reading some in-game codex that I was correct.

Geared and skilled up so 3-4 mid-tier enemies aren't a big problem anymore, although the odd random road encounter with Cumans wrecks my shit embarrassingly. Basically winning by doing riposte and draining their stamina.
Carrying a sword, mace and axe now for situation encounters.

I also recently realized I couldn't do special moves because I was using a longsword with shield, which apparently is a no-no if you want to break noses with the pommel of your sword.

Whoops!

Yeah I feel like the sword is a bit of a trap. It works against early enemies but not particularly useful once mobs have breastplate. This is context no one knows because who has made a realistic medieval combat game before? I'm not even sure that if I replayed that I would use a shield.

I think groups remain hard. Even towards the end I was still occasionally making a silly mistake and getting routed by (large) groups of peasants. What does happen is that random battles become less common.

otsego

Cipher
I think if I replayed (I intend to, but as a stealthy bow type... I read headshots are basically fatal at any skill level... Garrett eat your heart out) I would either go full longsword or axe+shield. This is one of few medieval RPGs that I know of that reward you for knowing that other weapons than swords exist to defeat plate and mail armor and reward you for training in it.

It's like games that don't tell you that blunt works well against undead enemies. It rewards you for having common sense without directly telling you "USE THIS WEAPON TYPE"

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I just reinstalled to try a rogue playthrough, archery, stealth and mobility in combat. No armour at all. Dunno if it's going to work, but we'll see.

otsego

Cipher
I know this game pushes you in the direction of swords... I mean besides the main plot point of you losing a magnificent sword and trying to get it back. Even the "boxart" is Henry crying over a sword. Which I sympathized with for the first 10 hours, but bruh, I'm a killer now and it happened faster than the farcry games

Sarathiour

Cipher
It's been some time since i played this, but i thought that one of the strong point of sword and bow was the opportunity to use poison, contrary to blunt weapon.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's been some time since i played this, but i thought that one of the strong point of sword and bow was the opportunity to use poison, contrary to blunt weapon.

I'm pretty sure that you can use poisons with maces even if you couldn't this benefit would be diluted by your ability to use poisons with arrows.

Wesp5

Arcane
Yeah I just reinstalled to try a rogue playthrough, archery, stealth and mobility in combat.

This is the way I played it because I could never figure out sword fighting even during training sessions. Then after defeating an important enemy with bow and arrow I got a cutscene with a sword and stopped because this was even more annoying than all the other times when Henry was looking differently in dialogues or cutscenes than in the game. Why use in-engine cutscenes when you don't show the setup of the player at that moment? Also has the black-screen-reloading before and after each dialogue been removed in the meantime?

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
My PC is too shitty to play this game without stuttering. Fucking Cry Engine. Why can't devs just make every game on Unreal 1?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My PC is too shitty to play this game without stuttering. Fucking Cry Engine. Why can't devs just make every game on Unreal 1?

If you can, install it on SSD. It dramatically improves performance. Thanks to SSD my PC of 2015 managed to run KCD on max settings and the framerate dropped only during big skirmishes during night, with lots of torches (light sources).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom