Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Arbiter

Scholar
c7ghvd6joot61.jpg

Strange ordering, light plate is last, breastplate 3rd from the end.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm surprised there are no hidden characters to play/unlock.

wirt
Hell bovine
Deckard Cain
Farnham
Tyrael
Goatman
Diablo 1 Sucubus
Etc.

Arbiter

Scholar
I'm surprised there are no hidden characters to play/unlock.

wirt
Hell bovine
Deckard Cain
Farnham
Tyrael
Goatman
Diablo 1 Sucubus
Etc.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make mercenaries playable. I heard rumors that the remake is not mod friendly.

Dexter

Arcane
Finished ActII with my Barb Solo, played Sorc a bit and got her to like Lvl10, but the game that I joined going up to 6+ people in it got real Chaotic fast.

Main characters somehow look blander and sexed down/older/less cool (look of the armor/weapons) than they did in Original D2, not sure how that's possible but the "realism" detracts and is somewhat different from their Original intent and concepts.

It also lagged a lot. There's two kinds of lag, graphics lag especially in the desert despite a 1080 and old game. And the Netcode is still kinda shit in parts/not improved upon. It's easy to get stuck in a corner or behind some monsters circling you even though you're constantly trying to leap or teleport out of there, but the game doesn't register it and you keep rubber-banding back to the spot you were before till you're dead. Sometimes while walking a character can still either teleport back to your previous position or suddenly appear behind a wall in front of you or similar. Enemies can hit you from far away like they are right beside you and you can hit them even though they appear far away.

There's Hearing Impaired Subtitles for the Cutscenes enabled by default I don't know how to disable.

I get what some people are saying with it being "Dark", although not in a "can't see shit" kind of way. Some of the dungeons can be rather dark and appear even more-so in the Remake, but "Light Radius" and "Illuminate Enemies" etc. stats/skills are in the game for a reason.

You can see breakables/chests easier when you switch to Diablo 2 Classic.

Otherwise it is rather competently done, it works and is fun to play and "feels" like Diablo 2, including some of the frustrating drawbacks like the old Netcode.

Some more Screens:
Screenshot013.png
Screenshot021.png
Screenshot031.png
screenshot040tmkwn.png
screenshot047nykkl.png
screenshot050u5jjl.png
screenshot051fuki6.png
screenshot056svjfu.png
Screenshot059.png
screenshot0795mk5u.png

Some Comparisons from ActII:
screenshot106r5jbr.png
screenshot1071fky6.png
screenshot108xojn6.png
screenshot109vxjpr.png
Screenshot118.png
screenshot1194hk6t.png
screenshot126ubji7.png
screenshot127aajgc.png
Screenshot131.png
screenshot1324hjj5.png
screenshot141ygk1u.png
Screenshot142.png
Screenshot144.png
screenshot1450xjvc.png
Screenshot147.png
screenshot148i0kvw.png
screenshot164p6jj6.png
screenshot165e9kk2.png
Screenshot170.png
screenshot171qqkue.png

I was curious what they did with the Harem, since this is a level they wouldn't make nowadays. The only girls that are still there are the ones up against the pillars, they replaced many of the others with guards or men or simply removed them for the new design:
screenshot150k5j9m.png
Screenshot149.png
screenshot152quj3o.png
Screenshot153.png
screenshot1566zjys.png
Screenshot157.png
screenshot158c1je1.png
Screenshot159.png
screenshot1605hknl.png
Screenshot161.png
screenshot162d7jmm.png
Screenshot163.png

Gregz

Arcane
Main characters somehow look blander and sexed down/older/less cool (look of the armor/weapons) than they did in Original D2, not sure how that's possible but the "realism" detracts and is somewhat different from their Original intent and concepts.

I was curious what they did with the Harem, since this is a level they wouldn't make nowadays. The only girls that are still there are the ones up against the pillars, they replaced many of the others with guards or men or simply removed them for the new design

Nothing I'm hearing about this game makes me want to play it.

Meanwhile, I'm running a Barbarian through Median XL 1.F9 and marveling at the production values.

Late 90s-Early 00s Blizzard was pure genius.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Median XL has nothing to do with Diablo 2 other than in name.

Path of Diablo + Project Diablo is the best vnailla mods that doesnt tamper too much with a perfect game.

Preferring controllers over m/kb makes you subhuman, FYI.

For Diablo-like games? No. It's basically the opposite of an FPS. Controller control schemes let you independently move and aim (i.e. circle strafing enemies if you want to) while mouse controls force you to alternate between moving and aiming. It'd be fixed if they let you use WASD for movement but unfortunately I think that's not in the cards. Diablo 2 barely uses the keyboard at all. You have 2-5 or so skills hotkeyed, you can use potions on 1-4, one key shows items and another key lets you hold position while fighting. That's it.

Games like Brigador and Synthetik implement WASD movement + mouse aiming and do play much better for it. Definitely better than controllers since you have more precise aim (not that that would matter for Diablo 2).

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I was curious what they did with the Harem, since this is a level they wouldn't make nowadays. The only girls that are still there are the ones up against the pillars, they replaced many of the others with guards or men or simply removed them for the new design:
screenshot150k5j9m.png
Screenshot149.png
screenshot152quj3o.png
Screenshot153.png
screenshot1566zjys.png
Screenshot157.png
screenshot158c1je1.png
Screenshot159.png
screenshot1605hknl.png
Screenshot161.png
screenshot162d7jmm.png
Screenshot163.png
Is it just me, or is the scaling of objects in the new images totally wrong? The barb looks like he's 15 ft tall in the remaster pictures, whereas the original doesn't have the same appearance. I think it's the addition of the dwarf-size running board and stools.

screenshot150k5j9m.png
Screenshot149.png

Arbiter

Scholar
For those who played the open beta this weekend, how are you feeling about it?

I played as a sorceress through act 1 and killed Radament in act 2. Overall impressions are positive, the game is close to the original and I did not see any obvious bugs. The only thing that surprised me was the drop rate in the beginning - I cleared Den of Evil twice and got 2 set items. They might have changed it for the beta. Difficulty does not seem to be changed since the original game, which was a pleasant surprise to me, having recently played Diablo 3.

Terrain graphics look good, no complaints here. Models are another matter, I am sure you saw them weeks ago when the Amazon drama exploded. Apart from Sorc I do not like the new models. I hear that there is some censorship, for example some dead women removed from the harem level, but I did not get that far.

In spite of generally positive impressions I am not planning to purchase the game due to various reasons - no LAN, likely no compatibility with existing mods and Blizzard's tarnished reputation.

I'm not buying it because ActiBlizz is a shitpit full of talentless hacks. Just putting my money where my mouth is.

I bought d2 on release day and played it for thousands of hours. I think the remake is decent - too expensive, but decent. I would have bought it if Blizz had even a shred of what made it great decades ago.

I don't give two shits about the lolcow "exploitashun" fabricated drama. Blizz is nothing but dangerhairs now, if anyone in the company still knows how to make a decent game, they're buried so far beneath all the garbage that it's impossible for them to have any influence whatsoever.

In sum, fuck Blizzard.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fuck the demon harem.

You know, this makes me wonder why there is no 'Git Gud' rating on the Codex?

I'm not a codex $$$ contributer so I don't know what the extra ratings for others are. There's probably a page on that.

If this facelift fucks up mods along with TCP/IP then meh to hell.

There was a cruddy mod where you could play as a d2 succubi, a fallen shamen, a goatman, and a balrog. It was buggy but kind of fun. I never played the doom mod.

Trithne

Erudite

Hahaha, filtered.

"Oh no it got hard and now I don't wanna play the game anymore". Whatever happened to embracing the challenge?

Casuals don't want challenge.

Actually, I take back part of what I said. He was clearly up to the challenge of taking on Duriel. He looked up advice, tried things out, apparently had Duriel to half health solo before getting kicked because lol always online games.

It's the girlfriend that got filtered. He's just a simp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom