Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Riskbreaker

The mouse is better for speedy precision. It's not even an argument to be had.
Someone pointed out you do have an extra advantage though: Quake is long-running PC game of 25 years. PC players know the maps, any meta strategies. item respawn times, optimal routes etc. Knowledge that easily leads to total domination. Given this fact in addition to the controller disadvantage some do seem to be actually doing quite well.

I never played Quake 1 DM in my life before this updated release and don't know any of the maps apart from Place of Two Deaths which I ran around on my own for 5 minutes. I also died about 5 times in that Claustrophobopolis match because of the teleports that drop you into open lava traps :hahano:
But you undoubtedly played multiplayer FPSs on PC that are Quake's offspring in one way or another and you did so for years, so there's this clear difference in experience between you and someone for whom this would be a first time playing this sort of FPS competitively - and this is certainly the case for many who picked up Quake on PS or Xbox within this last week. Quake is such a different beast in MP in comparison with your currently popular multiplatform MP FPSs.

Curratum

I just taught a guy how to bunny hop to the yellow armor in q1dm1 without extending the bridge. My good deed for the week is done. :hug:

abija

Prophet
Controller Players Can Do Just as Well as Mouse Players, the Sequel

5ZtseJp.jpg

I'm just salty because I've been banned from the Quake discussion hub for a month over an argument with a "controller is as good as mouse" retard, who obviously got his feelings hurt and reported me, then the Steam feelings police immediately banned me.

Once my ban lifts, I should make a collage of those scoreboards and post it as artwork on the hub...

Gz, the most retarded way to try and make your point. Did you stop to think for a split second how many players out there can demolish you using only keyboard or a gamepad ?

Curratum

Controller Players Can Do Just as Well as Mouse Players, the Sequel

5ZtseJp.jpg

I'm just salty because I've been banned from the Quake discussion hub for a month over an argument with a "controller is as good as mouse" retard, who obviously got his feelings hurt and reported me, then the Steam feelings police immediately banned me.

Once my ban lifts, I should make a collage of those scoreboards and post it as artwork on the hub...

Gz, the most retarded way to try and make your point. Did you stop to think for a split second how many players out there can demolish you using only keyboard or a gamepad ?

How about literally NONE?

soulburner

Cipher
I played the new episode available in the remaster and... I'm having a blast. Too bad it requires Vulkan and my toaster laptop doesn't support it - can't play it at work because of that :D Anyone tried running the new episode in a "standard" source port?

In overall, I think this enhanced edition is quite alright. It seems like they didn't fuck anything up, nothing substantial at least. A few of the minor annoyances:
- default FOV is too big, 90 is enough
- default setting to disable head and weapon bobbing is a complete misunderstanding, which makes the weapon model look like a pasted in sprite. Good it's just an option in the settings
- the sounds have been remastered at a higher frequency, but not all of them. For example, Ogre's sight sound is "old", other sounds are "new" which feels somewhat odd sometimes

The rest seems pretty fine. While I appreciate Quake the most in it's DOS quake.exe and low resolution CRT screen glory, I have to retract my earlier opinion that the game should not be touched in any way - this is a... respectable remaster ;)

Grim Monk

Arcane
Are you still able to play the Armagon/Eternity expansions with other source ports?

I know the new expansion is currently KEX exclusive...

Do you need any beth shit client/acc?

Apparently not to play the base game but an Bethesda Account is needed to get their "Official Mod Repository/Loader" content.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you still able to play the Armagon/Eternity expansions with other source ports?

I know the new expansion is currently KEX exclusive...

Do you need any beth shit client/acc?

Apparently not to play the base game but an Bethesda Account is needed to get their "Official Mod Repository/Loader" content.

Yes. When you click launch in Steam, you get the following launch options:

- play the new sourceport
- play classic Quake
- play classic Armagon
- play classic Dissolution

Curratum

I think the issue with kids playing DM on Q1 right now is, they never played games where item control matters. Nobody is going out of their way to get yellow/red armors, megas and quads. I don't expect them to time it or anything, at least make a regular trip to the spawn locations, but no.

The reason I'm winning isn't because I have great skill (I don't), but simply because I'm hogging all items and I'm at 200 armor and 100/150 HP all the time, while people are just running around shooting their guns. I've had half a dozen people ragequit on me after I point-black rocket them for the second time, and they die and I don't because I've hogged all the good armor spawns, and it's not just console players, happens with Steam people too.

I guess if you only ever played CoD or modern-day games with regenerating health and / or no map pickups, you might have a hard time figuring out why those are so important.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Last edited:
I think the issue with kids playing DM on Q1 right now is, they never played games where item control matters. Nobody is going out of their way to get yellow/red armors, megas and quads. I don't expect them to time it or anything, at least make a regular trip to the spawn locations, but no.
Yeah, that seems to be the biggest thing. I'm sure as shit no pro-item timer either but simple stuff like running to the good items and bunnyhopping puts you way up on most everyone else. They need to open their hearts and embrace the HUUH.

No seems the MP is also linked the Bethesda Account...
Stands to reason because of the crossplay I suppose.

prengle

Savant
Thanks. So I can play MP without beth account or anything?

No seems the MP is also linked to the Bethesda Account...

Will I need a Bethesda.net account to play the game?

A Bethesda.net account is required for online multiplayer, and Add-ons. Everything else in the game is playable without linking your account.
Source: https://bethesda.net/en/article/53tAlMd4N1Aptp9PvdxWD/quake-release-notes-and-faq
say what you will about this """remaster""", but forcing people to make a fucking bethesda account and agree to a dozen shitty eulas to play quake (and a slightly less shitty version of netquake, at that) is completely inexcusable

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
if you've ever played a bethesda game on steam that needs a bethesda acct, you can easily link your bethesda account to your steam account and it just logs you in when you start the game.

Go to Bethesda.net
Click your account
Select Linked Accounts
Click on the empty box and select Steam

Ash

Arcane
So apparently the new Dimensions of the Machine episode is Kex-exclusive in that it can't be ran on the homebrew engines for technical reasons. Those who don't care for this rerelease will have to wait for someone to port it it seems.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What are they even, a curated modlist, paid mods, expansions?

dumptruck_ds said:
We've had a lot of posts from sponge, an id employee with a ton of great info. Here are some interesting bits from he and some others:

1. they are actively looking for content for their add-ons with some parameters
ID employee said:
i'm starting to look around for stuff that's newer, popular, doesn't have assets from other games, and the authors are small in number and still contactble. i tend to have a recency bias since the new stuff is usually way cooler than the 90s stuff, and people are way less likely to be familiar with the modern community output
contactble: fewer people to track down for legal docs

2. don't expect AD any time soon and not in it's current form (way too thorny due to use of Hexen 2 and other assets, team size and see #1 re: legal) you are free to load it in the engine as an add-on but expect issues if and until some tweaks are made to the engine

so it's gonna be a curated modlist.

ciox

Liturgist
So no new SP levels without a Bethtard account?

I was able to open the hub for the new campaign from Level Select and start playing, not exactly in a hurry to get a Bethesda account, so not sure what's in Addons, but you can play the campaign without going there.

And you get two new official, high-quality expansions bundled with the two old ones.

I thought there was just one new campaign? The one called "Dimension of the Machine".

Wunderbar

Arcane
I was able to open the hub for the new campaign from Level Select and start playing, not exactly in a hurry to get a Bethesda account, so not sure what's in Addons, but you can play the campaign without going there.
"addons" is a sub-menu for future mappacks. Currently there's only one - Quake64. You'll need a Bethesda account to access addons.

I thought there was just one new campaign? The one called "Dimension of the Machine".
there are five campaigns: Quake, Quake Mission Pack 1 Scourge of Armagon, Quake Mission Pack 2 Dissolution of Eternity, Dimension of the Past (released in 2016), and Dimension of the Machine (the new one).

Ash

Arcane
For those interested e.g Multi-headed Cow

coming soon:

<<<NIGHTMARE REFINERY>>>

Nightmare difficulty in vanilla only made enemies attack more frequently, with two or three special cases (e.g Vore projectiles were 40% faster on nightmare). Most notably, some melee-only enemies saw no benefit on nightmare mode. Combat+ seeks to provide a more challenging experience for nightmare primarily by approaching each AI type individually and boosting their particular weaknesses slightly, and melee enemies also now see minor benefit from nightmare. Additionally, a few nerfs are also applied to optimize the experience by reducing frustrating elements.

-NERF: based on fan feedback, Ogres and Death Knights have increased (random) duration between each ranged attack. They still attack more often than hard, but will sometimes have slightly longer breaks for movement or melee attacks between firing.
-BUFF: Increased all enemies yaw rotation speed by ~25%. This makes them turn to face you faster. Enemies turn notably slow in Quake and it was rather abusable. You may have noticed it with the scrag in particular which turned extremely slowly.
-BUFF: Death Knight spike projectiles gain +25% velocity (still really slow).
-NERF: Shalrath vore missile gains +20% speed on nightmare difficulty (was +40%).
-BUFF: Shalraths next jump to/from ceiling timer changed to a random range to make them even more unpredictable.
-BUFF: Rotfish now gain +30% movement speed on nightmare (still really slow).
-BUFF: Knights run approximately 10% faster. Note this only applies when they're running at you sword to their side; when they swing their sword they move at normal speed.
-BUFF: fiends jump with additional speed & distance by a random range of 0-25% per jump (on Nightmare and Hard, but note they jump more often on nightmare as per vanilla design).
-BUFF: Scrags have a 20% chance to poison the player with their spikes. Poison deals 1 damage every 3 seconds for up to 15 seconds, so 5 damage in total on top of their standard 9 damage. Poison ignores armor and can also be cured by grabbing a medkit or jumping in water.
-BUFF: all enemies that can perform ranged attacks have a minor +10% ranged attack animation speed bonus. This works well in combination with their more frequent ranged attacks on nightmare, getting them back to moving (and attacking again!) faster.
-NERF: Enforcers will not throw multiple sticky proximity grenades in a row on Nightmare mode (these things are a little overkill).

Zombies, Shamblers, Grunts as well as enemies added by Quake 1.5 were already handled just fine by Nightmare.
Note: this is all in addition to the many existing Combat+ & Quake 1.5 AI improvements.

Last edited:

Curratum

What are they even, a curated modlist, paid mods, expansions?

dumptruck_ds said:
We've had a lot of posts from sponge, an id employee with a ton of great info. Here are some interesting bits from he and some others:

1. they are actively looking for content for their add-ons with some parameters
ID employee said:
i'm starting to look around for stuff that's newer, popular, doesn't have assets from other games, and the authors are small in number and still contactble. i tend to have a recency bias since the new stuff is usually way cooler than the 90s stuff, and people are way less likely to be familiar with the modern community output
contactble: fewer people to track down for legal docs

2. don't expect AD any time soon and not in it's current form (way too thorny due to use of Hexen 2 and other assets, team size and see #1 re: legal) you are free to load it in the engine as an add-on but expect issues if and until some tweaks are made to the engine

so it's gonna be a curated modlist.

Honestly, if they manage to put some of the cool map jams in there, if there's no asset issues, I'll be very happy even without AD.

Curratum

Is Nightmare broken on Dissolution or am I doing something wrong?

I shot the 3 switches in the episode selection room, went up the elevator into the lava portal in the ceiling, then went through the slipgate texture portal in the room I was teleported to, then I entered Ep 1. Health is still at 100 and Nightmare doesn't seem to be on.

Riskbreaker

Do see if your health still fills up above 50 once you drop bellow it.
My nightmare playthroughs always started with 100 HP here but afterwards it was capped at 50.
Not sure if that initial boost is a bug or a feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom