Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Curratum

Do see if your health still fills up above 50 once you drop bellow it.
My nightmare playthroughs always started with 100 HP here but afterwards it was capped at 50.
Not sure if that initial boost is a bug or a feature.

That's it. It IS nightmare and it's not bugged. I just thought you started at 50 too, as the game brings you down to 50 as you advance through levels, even if you finish the last level at higher health.

abija

Prophet
Gotta hand it to that guy, he made a very respectable effort for a controller player, even if he was harvesting quad frags from the other console bots in the server, before they all ragequit :D

How do you even know he is a controller player?

Curratum

Gotta hand it to that guy, he made a very respectable effort for a controller player, even if he was harvesting quad frags from the other console bots in the server, before they all ragequit :D

How do you even know he is a controller player?

Crossplay, PC players have a Steam icon, console players have a globe icon.

abija

Prophet
They're just different platform than steam. If you play through xbox app you get a xbox icon and everyone else the globe.

Curratum

I stand corrected. Feel free to flag my post as "retarded", didn't realize the new version was on more PC stores in addition to Steam.

I also wish they gave each platform its unique stamp on the scoreboard...

abija

Prophet
Most likely need to blame sony or m$ for that kind of retarded shit.

Curratum

They just released a bunch of new great levels for the classic game, for free, and you felt compelled to come here and post how they're soyboys? :M

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Finished the new mission pack/episode. Pretty good overall, with one exception: Dimension of the stonemasons. What a stinker. Shambler and vore spam to make up for basic and repetitive level design doth not a good level make.
Probably the intern's contribution.

For those interested e.g Multi-headed Cow
Nice! I'd be a little leery on some of the random wiggle room for animation speeds/distances/etc, but given that's for nightmare difficulty it should be peachy. I'd normally lean toward enemies having more predictable patterns so you can get zen gameplay but again, nightmare's a different kettle of fish.

Honestly, if they manage to put some of the cool map jams in there, if there's no asset issues, I'll be very happy even without AD.
That kinda stuff's mainly for console players and slight cool points for any modders/mapps that get stuff listed. Kinda goes into the whole "If you wanna be a pro PC player you'll probably be using your own source port of choice and whatever mods you want, but if you're a casual or stuck on console then this gives easy access (And your only access, on console) to some mods/maps" angle. I'd be way pissier about the Bethesda stuff if they didn't include the base game too so you couldn't do all that yourself if you wanted.

Curratum

For those interested e.g Multi-headed Cow
Nice! I'd be a little leery on some of the random wiggle room for animation speeds/distances/etc, but given that's for nightmare difficulty it should be peachy. I'd normally lean toward enemies having more predictable patterns so you can get zen gameplay but again, nightmare's a different kettle of fish.

Honestly, if they manage to put some of the cool map jams in there, if there's no asset issues, I'll be very happy even without AD.
That kinda stuff's mainly for console players and slight cool points for any modders/mapps that get stuff listed. Kinda goes into the whole "If you wanna be a pro PC player you'll probably be using your own source port of choice and whatever mods you want, but if you're a casual or stuck on console then this gives easy access (And your only access, on console) to some mods/maps" angle. I'd be way pissier about the Bethesda stuff if they didn't include the base game too so you couldn't do all that yourself if you wanted.

They have no real reason to take away the base game from the package, and this would render all that custom content unplayable on a legally purchased copy for new players. They're greedy, but they're not that dumb.

I mean, seeing that dumotruckds post quoted somewhere above, it seems the guys who are handling the addons in the new release have a very good outlook on things and care about the game and delivering a good custom content experience to all players.

MapMan

Arcane
wtf bros supposedly this is based on netquake not quakeworld and the netcode is shit. to those who have it, how good/bad is it?

Curratum

wtf bros supposedly this is based on netquake not quakeworld and the netcode is shit. to those who have it, how good/bad is it?

It's fine when you're in a lobby with good ping. Those are not too common though, as a lot of people obviously play fucking multiplayer games on their mom's wifi and / or live across the Atlantic ocean.

It's a 50-50 thing in the dozen or so MP games I've played. Of course, if you host with friends, you'll be fine.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The version of the soundtrack that's included is de-emphasized. Though it used to be a special fact that people would sometimes bring up, and even I myself believed it, Quake has never actually had any pre-emphasis. It was only a mistakenly flagged release and badly mastered Macintosh port that lead to that idea.

For example, if you compare the second to last track, there is normally a high-pitched noise in the left channel, but this almost inaudible with de-emphasis.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
The version of the soundtrack that's included is de-emphasized. Though it used to be a special fact that people would sometimes bring up, and even I myself believed it, Quake has never actually had any pre-emphasis. It was only a mistakenly flagged release and badly mastered Macintosh port that lead to that idea.

For example, if you compare second to last track, there is normally a high-pitched noise in the left channel, but this almost inaudible with de-emphasis.

One of the common complaints on the Steam forum is that everything sounds too quiet, so I'm not surprised they screwed up the music. All the sound effects are muffled compared to when I play the original with VkQuake or Quakespasm Spiked.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
everything about this source port is perfect except for the quiet music in the quake 64 mod; it needs to be mastered better. it's hardly noticeable

fork

Thanks. So I can play MP without beth account or anything?

No seems the MP is also linked to the Bethesda Account...

Will I need a Bethesda.net account to play the game?

A Bethesda.net account is required for online multiplayer, and Add-ons. Everything else in the game is playable without linking your account.
Source: https://bethesda.net/en/article/53tAlMd4N1Aptp9PvdxWD/quake-release-notes-and-faq
say what you will about this """remaster""", but forcing people to make a fucking bethesda account and agree to a dozen shitty eulas to play quake (and a slightly less shitty version of netquake, at that) is completely inexcusable

The people here on Codex love Cyberpunk 2077, nuDoom and there are people who defend every decline imaginable. Of course they also celebrate the destruction of Quake by the corporate jews.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Was reading the Doomworld thread and saw some Quality Professional Modding:

rlyIcKq.png

UdVeBQn.jpg

OTSlfP8.jpg

SZ5vFYp.jpg

aF4xCcT.jpg

DIJw5VW.jpg
Apparently they thought they couldn't replicate the lighting, so they just ruined it instead. Lol. ‘b-but it's all lightmaps, you can't decompile that!! wut about muh bounce lighting?? hurr durr’ Obviously someone has never modded a game before.

Riskbreaker

A Bethesda.net account is required for online multiplayer, and Add-ons. Everything else in the game is playable without linking your account.
Source: https://bethesda.net/en/article/53tAlMd4N1Aptp9PvdxWD/quake-release-notes-and-faq
say what you will about this """remaster""", but forcing people to make a fucking bethesda account and agree to a dozen shitty eulas to play quake (and a slightly less shitty version of netquake, at that) is completely inexcusable

The people here on Codex love Cyberpunk 2077, nuDoom and there are people who defend every decline imaginable. Of course they also celebrate the destruction of Quake by the corporate jews.
Eh, Doom Eternal is as good as any contemporary AAA FPS can conceivably get.
Anyway, this place is hardly unique - the gamer is the highest form of the Consoomer - and the only thing specific about it is the sheer extent of schizophrenic divide between the surface signaling (I'll say that I dislike so and so, that it is worthless and irredeemable, in order to receive sweet recognition) and actual practice (I'll play that same thing for 100+ hours, buying the DLC, 100%ing achievements, writing elaborate essays on its obscure aspects).
You actually have to appreciate someone who'll openly say that they enjoy Cyberpunk or whatever if that is their genuine sentiment.

fork

Eh, Doom Eternal is as good as any contemporary AAA FPS can conceivably get.
Anyway, this place is hardly unique - the gamer is the highest form of the Consoomer - and the only thing specific about it is the sheer extent of schizophrenic divide between the surface signaling (I'll say that I dislike so and so, that it is worthless and irredeemable, in order to receive sweet recognition) and actual practice (I'll play that same thing for 100+ hours, buying the DLC, 100%ing achievements, writing elaborate essays on its obscure aspects).
You actually have to appreciate someone who'll openly say that they enjoy Cyberpunk or whatever if that is their genuine sentiment.

:retarded:

Do you actually think when you come up with this shit?

"This piece of shit game is as good as AAA gets"
Yes, and this makes it better how exactly?
Besides, this wasn't true in the past.

"This game may be bug-ridden crap and degenerate in every way, but you've gotta appreciate it when people unironically support this shit"
Are you braindead, you fucking retard?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom