Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Will WOTC New Approach to Races Effect the Future CRPG?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I never liked charisma being whether someone is fuckable or not. Max charisma is Hitler, Jesus, Muhammad, Caesar, Napoleon, Washington, Hong Xiuquan etc (though I'd include Joan of Arc, Elizabeth and Cleopatra as female equivalents). Physical attractiveness can be a part of that but far from the only or even main component.
Yes, from the beginning of D&D, charisma has been an amalgam of leadership and diplomatic ability. The mechanical function of charisma in original D&D was to affect the number of hirelings and their loyalty (leadership) as well as reaction rolls (diplomacy), and this remained true in AD&D, the later versions of non-advanced D&D, and in 2nd edition AD&D. Appearance was explicitly stated to be a component of charisma (OD&D: "Charisma is a combination of appearance, personality, and so forth"), but certainly not the sole component, and if charisma were subdivided into two more precise abilities it would make sense for physical attractiveness to have a large effect on diplomacy but a minor or zero effect on leadership. :M

Thank ya for making me to research every single set going back to 1974. :) I couldn't find Moldvay's Basic Set as a pdf anywhere for reference.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Unwilling? humble beginnings? return to their peaceful life? None of these things describe Characters of the Middle Earth.
I think he means the Hobbits. But I wouldn't call them "unwilling" either - both Bilbo and Frodo WANT to explore the world and they are considered strange in their community for that, because TRUE Hobbits are basically ignorant farmers. Although there are Hobbits like Sam: someone who is merely doing his duty and follows his master, but doesn't really want any part of the journey they are undertaking. So Sam is more true to the nature of his race than Bilbo or Frodo. At least that's how I see it.

The motivation of nobody in the Middle Earth is a stupid, nonsesical reason to "save the world". And no book of it is about that. Everyone is moved for their own motivations, even a lot of them do it for a pure egoistical personal gain.
Actually, it kind of is. That's essentially what Frodo does when he subscribes to bring the Ring to Mordor. Though I guess you could argue that Frodo merely wants to help, even though he realizes this is much bigger than him. Sam wants to keep Frodo secure. These two aren't really acting "for a pure egoistical personal gain". Merry and Pippin jump in, because they want in on the action, so here is that.

Many of the main characters will take personal pleasure in killing their enemies and destroying them just for the sake of it.
Sure, but no Hobbit in the book is like that. There *is* one Hobbit who is described differently, but he is mentioned in the passing, like a legend. Otherwise Hobbits are described as peaceful folk.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unwilling? humble beginnings? return to their peaceful life? None of these things describe Characters of the Middle Earth.
I think he means the Hobbits. But I wouldn't call them "unwilling" either - both Bilbo and Frodo WANT to explore the world and they are considered strange in their community for that, because TRUE Hobbits are basically ignorant farmers. Although there are Hobbits like Sam: someone who is merely doing his duty and follows his master, but doesn't really want any part of the journey they are undertaking. So Sam is more true to the nature of his race than Bilbo or Frodo. At least that's how I see it.

The motivation of nobody in the Middle Earth is a stupid, nonsesical reason to "save the world". And no book of it is about that. Everyone is moved for their own motivations, even a lot of them do it for a pure egoistical personal gain.
Actually, it kind of is. That's essentially what Frodo does when he subscribes to bring the Ring to Mordor. Though I guess you could argue that Frodo merely wants to help, even though he realizes this is much bigger than him. Sam wants to keep Frodo secure. These two aren't really acting "for a pure egoistical personal gain". Merry and Pippin jump in, because they want in on the action, so here is that.

Many of the main characters will take personal pleasure in killing their enemies and destroying them just for the sake of it.
Sure, but no Hobbit in the book is like that. There *is* one Hobbit who is described differently, but he is mentioned in the passing, like a legend. Otherwise Hobbits are described as peaceful folk.

Yeah. I find S.torch's criticisms a bit nitpicky because the basic fact is: Tolkienesque high fantasy and pulpy sword & sorcery are two different modes of fantasy fiction that have a completely different approach to storytelling, worldbuilding, attitude about society, magic, civilization, morality etc. They also have a different lineage.

As I said in a previous post, it's easy to trace D&D's lineage through the sword & sorcery genre:

Early modern picaresques -> 19th century adventure fiction -> lost world, sword & planet, historical fiction of the early 20th century -> Howard, Smith, Lovecraft write fantastic and horrific stories for Weird Tales -> the sword & sorcery tradition is born
Ancient Greek, Roman, Celtic, Germanic mythologies -> oral tradition of fairy tales -> the first fantasy novels with a fairytale vibe in the 19th century -> Lord Dunsany -> J.R.R. Tolkien's Hobbit and later Lord of the Rings

Of course, there are cross-influences between the two - most of the major Weird Tales authors read some Dunsany (Lovecraft famously had a "Dunsanian period" in his writing, specifically when he wrote the dream cycle), and ancient and especially Nordic-Germanic mythology had a major influence on S&S as well (Howard REALLY loved Norse mythology). But overall, the sword & sorcery genre of the American pulps owed much more to classic adventure fiction than to mythology and fairytales when it comes to basic story structure and vibe... which makes a lot of sense because the format they were published in, monthly pulp magazines, was the home of adventure stories. So it's basically adventure stories except with ancient sword-wielding barbarians instead of modern American explorers.

Despite all the cross-influences, with the classic S&S authors drawing from some of the same sources as Tolkien and vice versa, the two subgenres of fantasy have clear differences between each other. They have different moods, worldviews, attitudes.
High Fantasy usually has clear distinctions between good and evil, heroes who tend to come from humble beginnings and take on a big quest that's larger than life and has at least somewhat altruistic motives (the main characters in both Hobbit and LotR are the hobbits, and all things considered Aragorn and Boromir are also relatively normal people within the context of knighthood: they are knightly protagonists similar to those of medieval courtly romances; meanwhile the real high power mystical characters like Gandalf are essentially side characters whom all of the main cast behold in awe and whose powers are barely explained), and features long epic journeys and (in post-Tolkienian high fantasy, which is inspired directly by the Professor's work) relatively large casts of characters.
Meanwhile S&S tends to be smaller in scope: no globe-trotting grand adventure to stop the great evil, but a localized adventure where the hero fights a sinister sorceress for the local lord. This is mostly owed to the beginnings of the genre in pulp magazines. A short story between 2000 and 10.000 words can't afford to be grand and epic, it has to be of smaller scale by necessity. The episodic character of most S&S is owed to its pulp beginnings. The protagonist usually works alone or with a single companion at his side, be it the barbarian's romantic interest (occasionally Conan has a chick with him, like Belit) or a trusty sidekick (Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are the most well-known example of that). Large adventurer parties like in high fantasy - such as the Fellowship of the Ring which had Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Gandalf all journey together and later be split up so they could all get their own chapters - are pretty much unseen in S&S. The outlook on the world is less optimistic and more cynical than in high fantasy. Where high fantasy presents a world beset by evil, but populated by good-natured characters who fight for what is right, to save their village/city/kingdom/the world, S&S characters tend to be outsiders who don't fit into civilized society, have a highly negative opinion of civilization, but have their own rough code of honor (be it a barbarian's honor or a thief's honor). There is no big great evil that can be defeated to restore peace to the lands, but evil and corruption lurks everywhere and the best the heroes can do is to rid one region from an evil sorceress/eldritch abomination/greedy bandit king and then move on in the knowledge that inevitably, bad shit will return, because that's just the way of things: wherever there's civilization, there will be rot and decay and evil will eventually arise.

The vibe of D&D, if we strip it of all the superficial trappings such as the existence of creatures taken straight from Tolkien's oeuvre, is much closer to S&S than it is to high fantasy.

Harthwain

Magister
The vibe of D&D, if we strip it of all the superficial trappings such as the existence of creatures taken straight from Tolkien's oeuvre, is much closer to S&S than it is to high fantasy.
DnD is malleable enough it can accommodate both, depending on what approach you want to take. When the player is in the middle of an epic story in which the forces of good fight the forces evil and the world is at stake (or something equally significant), then you are going to steer into "Lord of the Rings" territory of high fantasy. If your adventure on personal level and your party is interested in mostly mundane things (getting paid, for example), then you are more in Sword & Sorcery territory. I think you could fit in "The Hobbit" as well.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
DnD is malleable enough it can accommodate both, depending on what approach you want to take. When the player is in the middle of an epic story in which the forces of good fight the forces evil and the world is at stake (or something equally significant), then you are going to steer into "Lord of the Rings" territory of high fantasy. If your adventure on personal level and your party is interested in mostly mundane things (getting paid, for example), then you are more in Sword & Sorcery territory. I think you could fit in "The Hobbit" as well.

There are published settings that do exactly that. Birthright is a high fantasy campaign where the party take on leadership roles in a kingdom. You have kingdom turns that are 3 months long and you build up your territories plus armies.

Dragonlance has the golden party being the stars. If you don't remove the official party the player characters are side characters. Just like how it is in every LOTR game.

Greyhawk and Blackmoore are examples of minor characters operating in the background with little impact.

Forgotten Realms straddles the fence and allows the party to do both.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of supposed tolkienisms in D&D come from Poul Anderson's novels (Three Hearts and Three Lions & The Broken Sword), which are much more in tune with D&D's style, and are the origins of things like the rubbery, regenerating trolls, as well as the Law-Neutrality-Chaos alignment system found in OD&D. Moorcock's version is more famous, but I think Anderson's is older, and it is closer to how D&D interprets it. Moorcock has a strong "fuck both of you" vibe to the cosmic forces of Law and Chaos, while in Anderson's work, "Law" is more directly equated by mankind, and "Chaos" with the forces of untamed natural forces and monsterkind.

There are, obviously, tolkienesque elements in D&D, mostly from The Hobbit (OD&D's monster roster is about 1/3 Tolkien, 1/3 Greek myth, and 1/3 homemade weirdness), but it is not controversial to claim that the game's roots are found in the American pulp tradition.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
A lot of supposed tolkienisms in D&D come from Poul Anderson's novels (Three Hearts and Three Lions & The Broken Sword), which are much more in tune with D&D's style,

These are also recommended readings mentioned in the Appendix of AD&Ds DM Guide (1e)

G7khxgT.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A lot of supposed tolkienisms in D&D come from Poul Anderson's novels (Three Hearts and Three Lions & The Broken Sword), which are much more in tune with D&D's style,

These are also recommended readings mentioned in the Appendix of AD&Ds DM Guide (1e)
Thanks, I've been looking for that for a while. Out of curiosity, are there any more of these? Because I remember seeing one that had more entries on it.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Thanks, I've been looking for that for a while. Out of curiosity, are there any more of these? Because I remember seeing one that had more entries on it.

Are you perhaps referring to this one?

appendix-e.jpg

The "inspirational reading" section seems to be absent in AD&D2's DM Guide but from the looks of it, it was reintroduced in 3/3.5.
There is also a similar section in 5e but that one seems a bit too "academic" for my taste.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

from one of the early Dragon magazines
CStw0Hn.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It was the one Rusty mentioned, but some of the ones in the other one look very interesting. Big thanks to the both of you.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting that E. E. Eddison (The Worm Ouroboros, Zimiamvian) is not among the recommended readings, nor Henry Kuttner with the Elak of Atlantis and C. L. Moore with Jirel of Joiry, both early S&S heroes..

And with Dragonlance AD&D is more in Tolkien territory than in S&S territory.

S.torch

Arbiter
I think he means the Hobbits.

Hobbits are not the only race in the Middle Earth, they are not even the only main characters in these two books we are talking about. And yet most of the things said there were obviously false for them. So what is the whole point of this entire argument if it can't even holds truth to his full extension to only a part (!) of the characters of this world?

Is nothing more than a falsehood trying to pass for an accurrate description of the High Fantasy, while at the same time drawing imaginary lines between it and Sword & Sorcery based on these same falsehoods.

Actually, it kind of is.

No. If Sauron win neither was he going to destroy nor doom the world, and if the Ring is destroyed neither was the world going to be saved. In fact, destroying the ring was not even the best of all the options.

Despite all the cross-influences, with the classic S&S authors drawing from some of the same sources as Tolkien and vice versa, the two subgenres of fantasy have clear differences between each other. They have different moods, worldviews, attitudes.

No, and this is were the real problem of this discussion really is.

All fantasy, all of it, from its origin in the time of epic poems that the Ancient Greeks left us, from the fairy tales born in the Middle Ages, arriving at the fantasy like we know it today, its has something in common that makes it what it really is. Fantasy speak to us to a level that we can't fully understand, but we know is about things that deep down we long for.

The inevitable corruption and decadency of the word is present both in High Fantasy and in Sword & Sorcery, is something that is talked about in the stories of Conan, and in the ones of the Middle Earth. Even knowing this, the heroes of these worlds involve themselves in a battle against the inevitable. And that's the wonderful thing about these stories, that's what make them fantasy.

Everything else that you mentioned are nothing more than superficial characteristic, something doesn't start or stop being fantasy for the amount of characters in it, or if they are episodic or not. Because these things could perfectly be in other genres too.

Dungeon and Dragons, and many others, still have all these trivialities, but they never have been more far away from being even something remotely close to fantasy than they are now. And that confirms exactly what I'm saying here: these things are additions to the genre, but not its soul.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

You might be recalling the "Inspirational Source Material" page from Moldvay's 1981 Basic Rules (B/X) D&D, which expanded on Gygax's Appendix N from two years earlier:

nikp7q.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
No. If Sauron win neither was he going to destroy nor doom the world, and if the Ring is destroyed neither was the world going to be saved. In fact, destroying the ring was not even the best of all the options.
It is not always about saving the world from being destroyed. Sauron won't destroy the world, but he is going to enslave all of "the free people" of the Middle Earth. Such are the stakes. This is no different from superheroes stopping villains in comics/movies. And while destroying the Ring doesn't mean the world is going to be perfect, it puts and end to a literal evil (Sauron/Mordor). Even though some of the heroes relish in counting how many Orcs they have killed this is OK, because Orcs are evil. Tolkien is very simplistic in some aspects - there is no "moral grey" in his work.

Azarkon

Arcane
Problem:

* Races like orcs were based off of real world races, hence are potentially offensive.
* Classic fantasy subscribes to intrinsic racial attributes, hence challenging racial equality.

Could correct by:

* Make fantasy races not based off of real world races.
* Use a different word than "race" for beings with entirely different origins like elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.

Instead:

* Double down on making fantasy races allegories for real world races by introducing contemporary sensitivities.
* Continue to use the word "race" incorrectly for beings with entirely different origins like elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.

:bravo:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It is not always about saving the world from being destroyed. Sauron won't destroy the world, but he is going to enslave all of "the free people" of the Middle Earth. Such are the stakes. This is no different from superheroes stopping villains in comics/movies. And while destroying the Ring doesn't mean the world is going to be perfect, it puts and end to a literal evil (Sauron/Mordor). Even though some of the heroes relish in counting how many Orcs they have killed this is OK, because Orcs are evil. Tolkien is very simplistic in some aspects - there is no "moral grey" in his work.

Except Sauron was not evil just for the sake of being evil. He was an extreme control freak; order and control was his initial motivation.
As such he reminds me of many Lawful Evil leaders of today.

Even Morgoth was not initially evil; he just wanted to create life of his own, and rebelled when he was denied it.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Tolkien's orcs sort of were. Warcraft's orcs certainly are. Not sure about Dungeons and Dragons, though; the lore's kind of generic.
Unless the creators for those particular settings have outright stated that they're derivative, nah. Just because triggered snowflakes make the connection between orcs and certain real life racial stereotypes doesn't make one derivative of the other.

Azarkon

Arcane
Tolkien's orcs sort of were. Warcraft's orcs certainly are. Not sure about Dungeons and Dragons, though; the lore's kind of generic.
Unless the creators for those particular settings have outright stated that they're derivative, nah. Just because triggered snowflakes make the connection between orcs and certain real life racial stereotypes doesn't make one derivative of the other.

In Tolkien's case, he did make direct allusions.

This was from an interview he did in 1964:

Tolkien: The dwarves of course are quite obviously-

D. Gueroult [interrupting]: wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews?

Tolkien: Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic. Hobbits are just rustic English people, made small in size because it reflects (in general) the small reach of their imagination - not the small reach of their courage or latent power.

I don't think Blizzard ever came out and said, "yeah, trolls are kind of like Jamaicans crossed with Aztecs, tauren are basically Plains Indians, and orcs are generic Mongols/Turks." But that's only because they don't want to be canceled. Though, as it turns out, it didn't save them any way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom