Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

schru

Arcane
everything about this source port is perfect except for the quiet music in the quake 64 mod; it needs to be mastered better. it's hardly noticeable
The original composer, Aubrey Hodges, has actually remastered (and in case of Doom games, extended) all the music he composed for the PlayStation Dooms and N64 Quakes: https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quake-nintendo-64-official-soundtrack

I wonder if NightDive, Id Software, or Bethesda ever contacted him about the possibility of using those versions in the new releases.

Draconis

Liturgist
I realized I never played the expansion packs for this game and right now I am on the second one and damn this game is so fucking fun, I miss when fps games were this good. Gonna be interesting to try the new maps to see if map designers these days still got it.

randir14

Augur
I realized I never played the expansion packs for this game and right now I am on the second one and damn this game is so fucking fun, I miss when fps games were this good. Gonna be interesting to try the new maps to see if map designers these days still got it.
I think the new episode is very good, the designers were obviously inspired by Arcane Dimensions.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think vanilla Doom 3 did the thing where on Nightmare your HP is capped super low, it was either 50 or maybe even 25 in that game. It's not something I would say Quake needed.

Curratum

I think vanilla Doom 3 did the thing where on Nightmare your HP is capped super low, it was either 50 or maybe even 25 in that game. It's not something I would say Quake needed.

I found myself enjoying this new nightmare mode a lot. Sure, it's easier than the chaos of vanilla nightmare, but it's still a fun challenge and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Did the base game and Armagon, halfway into Dissolution on the new nightmare so far.

Best part about this release is that more people are getting to play the two expacks, which are both excellent - especially DoE. I bought them both (big box versions even) at release, had a ton of fun.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I dunno about you guys, but I am ASTONISHED by the sheer quality of the new episode. You can tell these guys really like the game and I hope they make the next Quake game.

Curratum

I dunno about you guys, but I am ASTONISHED by the sheer quality of the new episode. You can tell these guys really like the game and I hope they make the next Quake game.

I never even played Dimension of the Past and am first going through base game + old expansions because I played the old xpacks only once, ages ago and don't remember anything.

I'm blown away by how good even the Scourge and Dissolution levels are, all over again. Sandy Petersen can take his Episode 4 and shove it.

I'm on the level before the Dissolution final boss, then it's on to Dimension of the Past, then finally Machine.

randir14

Augur
During one of the QuakeCon livestreams they had a guy from Machine Games and he said their company has a dedicated group of Quake mappers who meet up every Wednesday.

Curratum

Just played a game on The Edge with Nightmare max diff bots.

Came first but I was sweating most of the time, wasn't a cakewalk. Bot in second was at 16 frags out of 20 to win the match.

Pretty decent, when you can't find people or just want to have some quick fun.

Riskbreaker

the designers were obviously inspired by Arcane Dimensions.
Some were either inspired or are themselves AD contributors, Grave Machine and A Grave Mistake are pretty much in the style of AD maps. But this is not true for the whole episode. Really, it's more like a mini-campaign with a hub map leading to multiple 2-map mini-episodes obviously made by different mappers. And these mini-episodes differ in every possible way, not just thematically: their scale, difficulty, level of detail.

Curratum

I would never have bothered to kill the Shambler with the axe if it weren't for the achievement.

Well, none of us really would, but my kid had a real laugh when we offed the big scary monster with a quad axe on Gloom Keep, so it wasn't all bad.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
New expansion is boring. Modern Quake level design is all about making something that looks cool, but it's actually just a bunch of rooms with hundreds of monsters in them. And in terms of ‘complexity’, it's like if someone used Snake as a level editor. Meanwhile, I'm replaying Dissolution of Eternity, and they actually use the level geometry to make interesting encounters, and don't even need a hundred monsters to do it.

Curratum

Damn son, Dimension of the Machine is even better!

It's official now: Machine Games > Id HackSoft.

Imagine comparing maps made 20+ years later, without any hardware limitations, with maps made in 1996 and made to run on a Pentium 1 on software renderer.

Curratum

Lol so I wanted to try the multiplayer and it doesn't work because apparently the MP codebase requires some Windows 10 exclusive shit :lol:

Fuck off Bethesda

And you're somehow not on Windows 10 yet, but at the same time you also want to play games?
:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom