Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FEAR 1 is a shitty game

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
cff.png

Curratum

Fear is ok, but it's also nothing spectacular or particularly special. It's the type of game you play once, enjoy reasonably, and then never bother with again.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FEAR is the only FPS besides ArmA series where the AI wasn't completely dead retadred. ArmA simulates large encounters well, but quite bad small ones, and FEAR simulated small ones pretty well.

Too bad they removed that AI in Fear 2 and 3 because consoles couldn't handle it (and PC is always an after-thought port), so the series went to consolized trash.

Melcar

Arcane
I liked the first one (the expansions not so much). It is fun for the most part and has good mechanics. Some parts do drag out and are a chore, and if you abuse some of the abilities (which is easy to do) the game can get boring fast.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It has a godly shotgun and enemies are able to fight back, that is all I need. The rest is fluff. I wish to slow motion karate flying kick people who complain about shooting shit on FPS games. That is how you end with half the game being cutscenes and scripted "cinematic" retardation everywhere.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
And Alma is the most realistic depiction of a western woman on FEAR 2, murderous temper tantrums, isnt there when you need her, nonstop nagging on the worst hours, only shows up to make your life miserable and you arent sure she wants to murder you or fuck with you probably both at same time so it is very realistic.

ADL

Prophet
If not for the AI and shotgun I'd probably agree somewhat but the enemy combat AI is better than pretty much anything that has come out since. Monolith not immediately following up FEAR with a tactical shooter like SWAT 4 is a damn shame. Instead we got Tolkien lore rape.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I replayed it recently and was surprised at how monotonous it actually was. The combat and AI are as good as they are, but the rest is just the same thing for several hours. Oh my god spooky girl. Oh my god a voice-mail. Oh my god medkits, im goonna heeeaaaal!!!!

Data4

Arcane
I only played it once around release. All I remember was endless cubicle shootouts. Also, the encounters with groups of soldiers seemed so formulaic for being supar advansed AI. Group milling about. You enter the frame and trigger a script. One solder flips table, two kneel behind it, one hides behind a file cabinet and another in a doorway. Repeat ad nauseum.

DemonKing

Arcane
You can complain about the mediocre storytelling in FEAR (especially everyone leaving audiologs around) but you can't complain about the weapons - the shotgun, the nail gun that literally pins baddies to walls and that disintegration beam that leaves behind nothing but a charred skeleton...the multiplayer was also pretty fun and the physics great.

Sequels were console trash but the original was definitely worthy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You enter the frame and trigger a script. One solder flips table, two kneel behind it, one hides behind a file cabinet and another in a doorway.

except none of this was scripted - if you entered the frame from another direction and flanked them they wouldn't bother flipping the table

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I replayed through it fairly recently. There's a part of my brain that says it was pretty gud. But then there's also the part that can't remember any specific section of the game.

In other words, I have brain cancer its pretty forgettable. I played through crisis 1 either before or after it and that was more memorable.

I replayed through it fairly recently. There's a part of my brain that says it was pretty gud. But then there's also the part that can't remember any specific section of the game.

That’s because all of the processing power went into enemy AI and dynamic lighting (which still holds up) at the expense of “bland” environment in lieu of epic scripted set pieces. I’d say the trade off is more than worth it.

The Jester

Cipher
So in which difficulty option enemies do the same amount of damage as you?

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wouldn't say shitty, far from it, but the slow motion makes even the highest difficulty easy. Even if I made a 30 million dollar John Woo-style third-person shooter, it would not have slow motion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom