Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't remember levelling up your units being a thing in the older games. I feel like it's gonna be a problem when you get some new creatures to recruit in the future but they are still level one thus way weaker comparing to the ones you are using at the moment.
They introduced unit levelling in WotN. Swapping weak veteran units for strong new ones wasn't a huge problem, levelling was p. fast.
at first i was like, "wtf there were upgradeable units on Way of the Nioh?"

Btw how are WotN and Dark Side? I liked Legend and Scantily-clad Princess, but burnt out early in the WotN cuz it felt like more of the same.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Vikings was meh overall but somewhat ok for one play, darkside was complete shit. Bad mod tier.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw how are WotN and Dark Side? I liked Legend and Scantily-clad Princess, but burnt out early in the WotN cuz it felt like more of the same.

Both are fine if you're just craving more KB. If you buy WotN do not get the addon, it's there when they introduced unit levelling and it broke the game. Plus it already stretches the inordinately long playtime.
Dark Side is slightly more entertaining but again, it's too fucking long. I finished it in three metasessions, across several months.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Both are fine if you're just craving more KB. If you buy WotN do not get the addon, it's there when they introduced unit levelling and it broke the game. Plus it already stretches the inordinately long playtime.
Dark Side is slightly more entertaining but again, it's too fucking long. I finished it in three metasessions, across several months.
it was the point when 1C did something to the original devs (Katauri, who previously made Space Rangers) and hired a bunch of modmakers in their place.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Played it for 20 minutes and then refunded. I don't even want to know if there is some good buried under this dungheap of mediocrity and bad design.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Man, I had such careful optimism for this.

Now I feel mildly disappointed.
How can you botch that many things at once in a game?
rvFZvS5.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
cvv some of the quotes were in the review I've linked yesterday but they're all in Russian. To translate/paraphrase some of them:

- "We all agreed that people who were playing those games (Katauri ones) have grown up so we decided to reflect that in our new game. KB2 is conceived as a serious and mature product".
- "We wanted realism. Did you see the Warcraft movie? There's fantasy and realism. We wanted the same."
- "Players on Xbox/Playstation are used to seeing expensive, juicy, fancy stuff (visuals). We couldn't keep such indie pixel-art graphics. It should be serious, gorgeous."
- "We have decided that if we're making such an expensive, big, gorgeous console game, we should look at Mass Effect and The Witcher in terms of role-play elements."
- "KB2 is a giant leap into the modern world, the world of consoles"

etc etc

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

If I could only play one KB game, which one would you recommend to check out?
Crossworlds get recommended a lot, but I'd say The Legend.
I'd definitely say crossworlds. The main campaign of armored princess is imo better than legend, and the skills/units are more interesting. But the highest quality content in all of KB is imo the arena mini campaign, since it has some decent CnC and focuses on making every fight high difficulty and highly interesting, as opposed to throwing 30 stacks of similar encounters at you as the longer campaigns often do.

I remember the legend being the most drawn out and most linear of all of them, would not recommend starting on that one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
cvv some of the quotes were in the review I've linked yesterday but they're all in Russian. To translate/paraphrase some of them:

- "We all agreed that people who were playing those games (Katauri ones) have grown up so we decided to reflect that in our new game. KB2 is conceived as a serious and mature product".
- "We wanted realism. Did you see the Warcraft movie? There's fantasy and realism. We wanted the same."
- "Players on Xbox/Playstation are used to seeing expensive, juicy, fancy stuff (visuals). We couldn't keep such indie pixel-art graphics. It should be serious, gorgeous."
- "We have decided that if we're making such an expensive, big, gorgeous console game, we should look at Mass Effect and The Witcher in terms of role-play elements."

etc etc
lol they're fucked

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

etc etc

Theyre+everywhere+gandalf+looking+unimpressed+and+dissapointed+because+he+is_67241c_4966377.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Is nobody playing this? I need some Codex feedback.

jackofshadows

Magister
1C dev department is called 1C Entertainment for a reason, check this out:
c4nVIqH.png

and now
gOInbIW.png

(Lord's edition upgrade)
Geniuses.
Turns out that prices for Ukraine are even more crazier tho
7o36JiM.jpg

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It's what the ydeserve for mindlessly aping the civ5/endless legend/homm6/aow3/whatever other garbage/ GENERIC artstyle. Makes me so mad to see that shit
I bet those multiunit figures don't even lose offensive power as they get injured, like it's a goddamn civ game or something :argh::argh:
2021 and Master of Magic is still the highest incline we have in this genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom