Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HUMANKIND - Amplitude's historical turn-based strategy

jackofshadows

Magister
Hóngwèibīng have you tried Old World? I've heared it's decent although available in Epic Store only.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Should have went with you choosing a plan that dictates what your goals are and making said goals tied to war score. Failing dictates logistics/morale in terms of damage/healing.It is that fucking simple.
Wanna pick a forward settle,pick that shit and have 5-10 turns to do it.
Wanna go Genghis,pick hat option and have a 100 turns to destroy your enemies while having to deal with juggling score since your goals are grand.
Old World does this

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm about an hour in.

Mostly all style and little substance. Kind of like Civ 5 at launch.

It's a pretty reskin of Endless Legends, with FIDS crossed out and FIMS written in. Dust is now Money you see, no one would ever suspect a thing. In fact I'd say a lot of the game makes no sense if you haven't played EL or ES

And yes the interface fucking SUCKS. A completely different close button to get out of the battle report screen? Really?

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I think it's the same as EL: you can speed up battle animations, but not the strategic movement (which is extra slow just to spite you). It was a very common, and very valid, complaint with EL and it persisting here seems to confirm the "EL mod" approach the devs had.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
THIS IS UNBEARABLE
d202746e84116fedc88e6c9cdd87cd13.gif

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I tried it out but refunded it after an hour. Nothing major against what little I saw of the game other than that the writing was poor and that the map panning was EXTREMELY slow even when increased in the options. But it just seemed a little dull overall, will check on it again in a year.

The narrator reminded me of CIV 6, the right word is not coming to me right now but its a little snarky and too self aware. I wish the opening cinematic and monologue was on youtube, it's very bad in a way that I fear is reflective of the overall game. It talks about how the universe is just a buncha space junk, but some space junk on Earth became a little bit more interesting, and maybe there's a story to tell here but this cinematic is not going to do anything to set that up - and wow here you are.
Typical leftist nihilistic shitposting.

Here it is

I thought this was remarkably bad at setting the stage for a grand historical adventure, why did they write the narration in a way that deflates the sense of purpose and grandeur? Seems confused to me, impotent.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yeah the war system is completely FUCKED. I think someone mentioned this but after a hard won war of many unskippable battle animations, your invincible club-weilding dudes are at the enemy's capital, ready to take it and BAM!

Forced negotiation. Their War Support is at zero and you have like 40 or 50. It takes some points to demand things, far more than you could possibly have (making them a vassal takes 200, surrendering the 2 puny cities I already conquered costs 180, while the absolute maximum it could ever be is 100 lol). Sure, you might say, they aren't interested in negotiation. We have the capital surrounded, let's end this right here right now. Only, you can't. Sorry, the cancel button is grayed out. No choice but to accept the shitty spoils offered of 1 puny city and almost as much gold as you make in 2 turns.

FUCK
THAT.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Here it is

I thought this was remarkably bad at setting the stage for a grand historical adventure, why did they write the narration in a way that deflates the sense of purpose and grandeur? Seems confused to me, impotent.

Sounds like typical liberal writing. Even has snarky attempts at "humor".
Edit : Ah, the devs are French. That explains it. French humor is shit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Here it is

The game is full of such snarky millennial one-liners. Like they do in every movie these days, even historical ones.

It's like they got Quentin Tarantino to do the writing.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here it is

The game is full of such snarky millennial one-liners. Like they do in every movie these days, even historical ones.

It's like they got Quentin Tarantino to do the writing.

I'd like to point out that a lot of historical quotes are snarky one liners that have gained traction.

There is no need to complain about literally everything.

spectre

Arcane
I've been skimming over some yewtube content. The game was pretty hyped, and I expected to find a bit more. A lot of the time it just says straight up, they got paid by Sega.
It wasn't entirely useless, at least I was able to confirm that the AI cheats in a bunch of ways: pulling units out of its ass, and second - during exploration,
by beelining into shit it has no way knowing was there. Funny thing is, you can do it too by turning on autoexplore.

At this point, I need to retract my statement that the AI apparently doesn't use any navy. I actually saw some ships the next time round (not guaranteed, because the AI seems to use invisible saboteurs a whole lot)
and island hopping. Not sure what happened back then. Perhaps the omniscient AI knew it won't be able to get anywhere anyways. Perhaps it got shafted on strategic resources.

However, back to videos. What struck me, is that most of the time I keep seeing people wanking over games that were won long ago (some even admitted it),
being several thousand points ahead of the next AI down the line. A lot of the battles I'm seeing are between units an era or two apart.
Even with games showcasing higher difficulties, I mostly saw people using all kinds of exploits to just smack the hapless AI around and siphon the extra money it gets.
Perhaps "struck" was the wrong word to use, cause this is what keeps happening in my games as well.
Weird thing is people seem okay with it, even praise the game. I blame Civ6, being better than it is a low bar to pass,

I'd like to point out that a lot of historical quotes are snarky one liners that have gained traction.

There is no need to complain about literally everything.
Oi, check again what site you're on.

But I don't disagree. The game offers plenty of shit to complain about, actual gameplay problems, no need to cling to the largely irrelevant bits.
You hear it once, then you just click past it every time. Or, turn the guy off entirely, the option is there.

When it comes to the narrator and certain mannerisms in the writing, it did tick me off plenty. Sometimes he gets preachy about your pick of civics,
other times he seems to be quite on board with shit like enacting propaganda.
There are also times where he can be rather spot on. For me it was when I picked assyrians and he went: "you're not going to be a very nice neighbor?"

He does set a rather weird tone at the start of the game, instead of an inspiring endeavor, he makes it sound like all this civilization-building business is just one more day at the office.

max one of those civic bars and he "you're not a fundamentalist, oh no no no oh noes, you're just more efficient at that thing". fuck you man, i want to allahuakbar the shit out of my society, any way possible. instead the whole game is permeated with... mediocrity. since the intro, "remember you're no one", and not in a funny way like monty python or gumball, every time the game talks it's a walk of shame for the player.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Why don't you mute the shit announcer? It's the worst thing imaginable in civ games. Just keeps shitting out meaningless quotes from retards in history.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Why don't you mute the shit announcer? It's the worst thing imaginable in civ games. Just keeps shitting out meaningless quotes from retards in history.

This one doesn't tho. It acts like a player in the player in the game.

Or more like an old boomer watching someone play a game for the first time and judging everything.

But yes it's a minor annoyance. The game has plenty of major design and balance issues. The worst (so far) being the war resolution system, and the ridiculous amount of "influence" you need to do anything from building outposts to enacting civics.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Or more like an old boomer watching someone play a game for the first time and judging everything.
That sounds 10x worse, can you mute him at least? The war resolution thing is a balance problem, it's probably going to be fixed quickly.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

That sounds 10x worse, can you mute him at least? The war resolution thing is a balance problem, it's probably going to be fixed quickly.

I think so. You can definitely skip cutsenes like in most games. But you can't "mute" the tool tips, descriptions etc, the text has the same "lul I'm so meta" feel. Like others have said it definitely ruins the seriousness of the whole building a lasting empire thing.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
As an example, on the diplomacy screen: My stronk Egyptian/Goth wymbyn of color makes a demand of the Maya transwymbyn. Maya refuses. My character says "accept this demand or I shall be forced to come up with something even worse".

Really, Amplitude? Really?

Also yes the neverending turn bug is real and a total gamebreaker.

Reloading does not work. Reloading a few turns back doesn't work. Once you get back to that same turn, you're fucked. You can click on those "Acknowledged" buttons till the heat death of the universe, it's not happening.

Edit: Found a fix. Turns out you have to save WHILE THE BUG IS OCURRING, then reload, and you can skip the messages as normal :lol:

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I had the endless bug once, killed the process, used the resume option after restart and it was gone. Annoying, but no biggie. In the end it's fucking unity underneath, so I expect resource management is out of whack.
Probably gets worse with longer games, but do you really need to play past turn 300 in this game? I suppose if you want to play with some endgame tech, but the game is usually decided long before that.

I was contemplating muting the narrator, but decided that every grand leader needs to suffer a sycophantic creature around who thinks he's smart and funny.
And he is a sycophantic creature when it comes down to it, the wonderful praises he'll sing to you as you reach the top of the ladder.... so a stay of execution is it, for now at least.

The worst (so far) being the war resolution system, and the ridiculous amount of "influence" you need to do anything from building outposts to enacting civics.
IMO It only crosses the border to ridiculous when you want to merge cities. Yep, there's a lot of pressure on one resource, but given its importance you should always maximize the output from the start because you'll be using it pretty much for the entire game.
At the very least, instant infrastructure in outposts and planting forests gets a lot of mileage.

EDIT:
Also, there's been a patch, I'll paste that shit when I find it cause it doesn't seem to be on steam.
EDIT2:
Well, The patch notes aren't too helpful, but it seems they'be dicked around with strategic resource generation, which is one of the issues with the late game, and I see a bunch of fixes for the endless turn thing, so at least it's something.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
From a review on Steam:
- STANDARD CONCEPT: Pollution is bad.
- COOL CONCEPT: There's a GLOBAL pollution score. If the GLOBAL score gets to a certain threshold, it's game over. Nations frowns upon heavy polluters.
- PROBLEM NOT THOUGHT THROUGH: There's no endgame as the AI just doesn't care and spams polluting low tech industries until everybody dies. Opponents still trade or ally with each other no matter what. Game ends prematurely because you were managing your pollution output and 9 other opponents were not. Think about it just a second. Your 400 turns game ending abruptly not because the AI beat you but because it made bad decision that impacted your game too and you couldn't do anything about it.

Sounds just like real life, no? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom