Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Ironmonk

Augur
the money marvel have put on the table should be huge, because who in the right mind would partner with a sinking ship instead of working with their own IP/projects.

XCOM 2 was pretty successful and XCOM 3 would probably be even more.... so, why waste time with this marvel crap? :decline:

If I'm not mistaken, most marvel games made in the last 10 years have been a commercial disappointment.

Besides, many people are fucking tired of marvel superheroes, be it movies, TV shows or games... and their woke agenda.

I'm not gonna buy or pirate this shit (Even if it ends up good)... but I will keep watching and hoping for it to crash and burn. :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey! A new Freedom Force like game!

Oh No...They suicide squaded Freedom Force.

One more entertainment product to increase Disney's body count.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Guise just play Freedom Force if you want a good superhero game with tactical gameplay.
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children is essentially a superheroes setting, except with "ESP" power being used as a pseudo-scientific justification for the existence of superpower abilities, and it has excellent tactical gameplay with extensive character customization/progression options.

xHpvssG.jpg

2rjTYVX.jpg

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

Guise just play Freedom Force if you want a good superhero game with tactical gameplay.
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children is essentially a superheroes setting, except with "ESP" power being used as a pseudo-scientific justification for the existence of superpower abilities, and it has excellent tactical gameplay with extensive character customization/progression options.

xHpvssG.jpg

2rjTYVX.jpg

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

I have it but one thing I've never admitted was that it runs like absolute shit on my machine. I'm not going to claim my rig is anything amazin- but it can run the exemplification of great graphics, ELEX, at a great FPS.

There is probably some simple tweaking that needs to be done to get into Troubleshooter but another part of me says "you've never played Final Fantasy Tactics or JA2, so screw it"

Also I think if this game will end up playing more like Mario Rabbids than anything

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the money marvel have put on the table should be huge, because who in the right mind would partner with a sinking ship instead of working with their own IP/projects.

XCOM 2 was pretty successful and XCOM 3 would probably be even more.... so, why waste time with this marvel crap? :decline:

If I'm not mistaken, most marvel games made in the last 10 years have been a commercial disappointment.

Besides, many people are fucking tired of marvel superheroes, be it movies, TV shows or games... and their woke agenda.

I'm not gonna buy or pirate this shit (Even if it ends up good)... but I will keep watching and hoping for it to crash and burn. :D
Disney usually takes money from the table, though, and quite a lot.
I was told their usual cut was 30%. Maybe Firaxis got a better deal, but they are not lego.

Well, I’m interested, but the more I read about it the more I wonder if I won’t end up hating that the next XCOM possibly died for this.

And before anyone asks: yes, in the end I grew into liking “nu XCOM” a lot, especially after War of the Chosen released.

You can spare me the autistic rants about how it’s a silly board game that ruins “muh immersion” by having very powerful endgame soldiers.
I don’t give a shit. I’m aware and I still have a blast playing it.

The branding of Midnight Sons here seems weird given how many of these characters have nothing to do with the Midnight Sons, and that it seems to be missing most characters that had something to do with either the '90s or the recent Midnight Sons comic. Like I can see Captain America if you play up the werewolf thing that also seemed like it was done for the Midnight Sons line, happened at the same time, but as far as I remember never crossed paths. I can kind of see Iron Man if you're building it around his Extremis transformation which had this body horror element to it. But Captain Marvel doesn't make any fucking sense.

Visually that cinematic trailer looks pretty generic. Seems like the whole reason to even theme a game around Midnight Sons would be so you can make a game that looks like Mark Texeira, Bill Sienkiewicz, or Ron Garney art...or someone that has done some horror themed Marvel work like Dan Brereton.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ten years ago I would have loved this...but now? I don't know. The cast is kind of weird, even for modern Marvel, and I really don't trust Firaxis to do something good these days. I'm unfamiliar with Midnight Sons, but isn't that Blade, Moon Knight and some other horror Marvel characters? This cast feels generic, not horror-ish at all.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crazy that they can use Enter the Sandman in a trailer.

Enter the Sandman traditionally is one of the songs that is so famous it can't be used in film trailers because it costs way too much $$$$$.

Ten years ago I would have loved this...but now? I don't know. The cast is kind of weird, even for modern Marvel, and I really don't trust Firaxis to do something good these days. I'm unfamiliar with Midnight Sons, but isn't that Blade, Moon Knight and some other horror Marvel characters? This cast feels generic, not horror-ish at all.

Yeah, the original idea was that it was a horror related line/event. I think it sprung out of Mark Texeira's '90s Ghost Rider being this surprise big hit for Marvel, probably also helped that the '98 Blade movie was in development even back than and that David S. Goyer was already writing it; as it turns out you see a lot of Goyer's Blade show up in stuff like the comics and Spider-Man cartoon years before the movie would come out.

vauDZCd_xeMAbZxGJUhfuOsR8ziDbB3rTP2BDWDGBS2ts7R4mxueHyR1uvvP8BmfzayzD4X3fbKM9DBZkN9AznXKuYa1GI4QGt6RPSgm

midnight-sons-2.jpg

There was a new Midnight Sons comic a few years ago that had Moon Knight, Punisher, and Son of Satan as part of the group. Actually it turns out this new one they ran ads for never got released, so there was only ever the '90s one and those other characters (some of which were added into MUA3 as the Midnight Sons DLC) were never part of it.

As far as I can tell only three heroes from either version of the comic are in the game; and one of them, Ghost Rider, isn't even the version of Ghost Rider from either...it's not even a motorcycle Ghost Rider. The four character Midnight Sons DLC for MUA3 has more Midnight Sons than this Midnight Sons game. This more just seems like they're using the Midnight Sons '90s event for an Avengers game (if this was a comic now it'd probably be called Dark Avengers) where they get new stupid looking costumes.

I'm also just now noticing this game is called Midnight Suns, not Midnight Sons like the comics.

Last edited:
I just don't get how you remake Midnight Sons as a video game, you put in Captain America, and you seemingly don't use Capwolf. At least that short period of time where he was turned into a werewolf would make sense for the monster related group.

Capwolf.jpg

Same kind of thing with Iron Man. You could so easily take that Extremis comic and play it like Guyver, give Iron Man a new Midnight Suns look that draws on how the villain in the Extremis comic looked after taking Extremis.

3e44qTcjEnIi0x3kQsP4esCQf_UlTUjOPZc43ZeL4UsFK2M9N08gQEd5J5uWSYz1J-DzHW_eRhfJwP8Pd0Ys4xjNTemzF2mUF1DPhKC4cmtlbKVVkM-nVHuVdL0HJSTjLpx4ze6Lrko03TM

It would be so easy to fit both those characters into the theme of Midnight Sons just drawing on past shit from the comics that it has to be some kind of extreme form of laziness, total lack of imagination, and just not giving a fuck that they've seemingly just gone with normal Captain America and Iron Man. It's not even like they can't design new looks for everyone either since everyone has new shitty looking gold costumes with little spells written on them. That spell writing stuff always looks cooler when it's just written directly onto the characters skin anyways, so they fucked that up too.

Reinhardt

Arcane
That fucking trailer...

[speaking non-english language]

I guess it represents capeshit auditory iq level just fine

Hellraiser

Arcane
Crazy that they can use Enter the Sandman in a trailer.

Enter the Sandman traditionally is one of the songs that is so famous it can't be used in film trailers because it costs way too much $$$$$.

Meh it is just a cover, if Fargo and InXile could get a Land of Confusion cover for Wasteland 3 I figure this kind of thing might be a lot cheaper to do compared to licensing the original, especially if the royalties are just a percentage of sales revenue rather than a flat flee (especially one where the label or artists can decide it) per license given. Too lazy to check how exactly it works, although I guess it is a bit interesting just how much power would Metallica or their publisher have in this case on determining for how much a cover version could be licensed for a trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom