Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Civilization is the least dumbed-down?

Which Civilization is the least dumbed-down?

• Civilization

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Civilization II

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Civilization III

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Civilization IV

Votes: 51 54.3%
  • Civilization V

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Civilization VI

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
When Civilization VI was first released many people claimed that it's just a dumbed-down Civilization V. However people also say that V is just a dumbed-down IV due to things like global happiness and lack of corruption. On the other hand some people claim that IV was already needlessly simplified, and some people consider introduction of political borders in III to be a decline.

So which Civilization actually is the most complex and least dumbed-down entry?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fairly sure that IV peaked if we count the number of features, including religion, civics, espionage and culture things. It did cut on number of cities though and some people hate that.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Civilization III and IV are the best. FreeCiv has some pretty unique features like unit research that really puts it apart.

I barely played Civ V, but I found Civ VI pulled down by the religion gameplay which, in a nutshell, sucks.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
By definition, the original can't be a "dumbed-down" version since there was no prior game to dumb down. +M

Anyways Civ IV or Civ Vi with all expansions have the most interlocking systems and attempt to model more facets of.... erm... civilization.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Voted for Civ 6. I wish it was more dumbed down, maybe then it wouldn't suck so much.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think complexity matters that much in Civ games, given how the AI is usually unable to perform the simplest of tasks:
The 1UPT combat is much more complex than stack vs stack combat, but the result was just a meme level AI needing even more bonuses than before to compete.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'd say that most of the features added after Civ2 just detract from it. There's some big exceptions to that, like borders, but Civ2 is where they got just about the right level of complexity. Civ4 is a good game but a lot of fat could be cut out of it, like religion. And the Civ4 expansion packs added more systems like corporations that I just don't feel add anything to the experience.

dehimos

Augur
freeciv itself has various other frontends, but it's the same underlying game

Clients:
Web: good, simple and easy.
GTK: civ2, true rpgcodexers play with this.
SDL: similar to web, but the icons are translucent blue and large.
Qt: similar to the web, but you need to know commands to configure the game.

catfood

AGAIN
freeciv itself has various other frontends, but it's the same underlying game

Clients:
Web: good, simple and easy.
GTK: civ2, true rpgcodexers play with this.
SDL: similar to web, but the icons are translucent blue and large.
Qt: similar to the web, but you need to know commands to configure the game.
Did they finally add a zoom function for GTK?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I was kinda surpsised that Civ II and III received so few votes, I expected them to do a bit better considering the fact that there's a thread called "Civilization II is the best strategy and might be the best game of all time" right next to this one. Oh well.

Tried Freeciv for a bit. Feels pretty barebones to be honest without unique units and traits for each nations, but it's not like you can't live without them. What actually surprised me is that you can chose between square and hexagonal grid, so it's the only option available to play something similar to classic civs on hex grid.

dacencora

Most important question: Does FreeCiv have the FMV advisors, and if not, is there a mod to add them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom