Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
heh, in the end h brawl is just temporary

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
wat. They haven't even done their upgrade and shit yet, did they preemptively say this early queue didn't have enough interest for them to even bother adding it after the update?
from my understanding there will be proper queue after update, that will be closed early september. Or perhaps they wont. They need to evaluate numbers. again...
too bad as I didnt have time to play it :negative: and once I will have some - will be busy with jumpstart until new set drafts become a thing.

What im saying is that there is high probability I wont have time to make mono b vampires and finally craft that drana i spoke about.
Only single of my h brawl decks were updated to 100 cards - terraforming korovld one. Pirates and various mono b sacc are still awaiting their time

wat. They haven't even done their upgrade and shit yet, did they preemptively say this early queue didn't have enough interest for them to even bother adding it after the update?
from my understanding there will be proper queue after update, that will be closed early september. Or perhaps they wont. They need to evaluate numbers. again...
too bad as I didnt have time to play it :negative: and once I will have some - will be busy with jumpstart until new set drafts become a thing.

What im saying is that there is high probability I wont have time to make mono b vampires and finally craft that drana i spoke about.
Only single of my h brawl decks were updated to 100 cards - terraforming korovld one. Pirates and various mono b sacc are still awaiting their time
Jesus. I was in a fairly similar boat, only played a tiny bit of it since I've been doing minimal MTG other than the free drafts since I know I'm going to play Jumpstart relatively hard and then after that there's the new set. Bad timing on WotC's part to gauge interest in historic brawl when they've got like 3 fucking things going on at once.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
finally had some time to fool with brawl.

sorin vampires were mainly copied so I could have fun with them. Work with 100 cards, had to burn some mythics. Not very strong or interesting in the end. Hope to stick some vampires and drive value through sorin. Usually either you or your opponent concede early
admiral didnt survive upscaling to 100 cards due to just not having enough valuable pirates(shapeshifters through blue arent enough). To make it worse you seem to be paired with stronger decks, it appears that algo values 3 color commanders high, regardless of what they are
terraforming korvold is strong as usual, main problem is finding proper land count and crying over cool cards that you cant fit in.

Rest is me doing various mono black commander decks. I need to create mono b base of cards that need to be in regardless of commander. At least for my own sanity.
tergrid is very uneven but I do like how it can be threatening till the very end
Various sacc decks got fused under erobos banner. While there are better card value engines, mana cost along with how hard it is to deal with it are crucial. In the end this is the one I have most fun with. Mostly im paired against yarok that is quite popular recently. It seems that etb + card draw are stronger than yarok double etb

EdIT:
well, thats a lot of cards as a base for single color
Commander
1 Kels, Fight Fixer (JMP) 15

Deck
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Phyrexian Tower (JMP) 493
1 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
1 Liliana, Waker of the Dead (M21) 108
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Extinction Event (IKO) 88
1 Languish (JMP) 246
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
1 Cabal Stronghold (DAR) 238
1 Divest (DAR) 87
1 Duress (M19) 94
1 Replicating Ring (KHM) 244
1 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
1 Eradicator Valkyrie (KHM) 94
1 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Soul Shatter (ZNR) 127
1 Blood on the Snow (KHM) 79
1 Phyrexian Arena (8ED) 152
34 Snow-Covered Swamp (KHM) 281
1 Elspeth's Nightmare (THB) 91
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
1 Phyrexian Obliterator (NPH) 68
1 Tergrid, God of Fright (KHM) 112
1 Yahenni's Expertise (KLR) 112
1 Palladium Myr (M21) 234
1 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Inquisition of Kozilek (STA) 31
1 Mazemind Tome (M21) 232
1 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
1 Lolth, Spider Queen (AFR) 112
1 Professor Onyx (STX) 83
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One (NPH) 73
1 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99
1 Massacre Wurm (M21) 114
1 Dread Presence (M20) 96
1 Solemn Simulacrum (M21) 239
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258

tell me what i might be missing. Im always 1 step away from showing revel in riches, lotus and black market in.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
while waiting for servers to come back online ive red that they changed their minds again and h brawl is there to stay.
Good. will be able to dedicate my free time into jumpstart without feeling guilt

while waiting for servers to come back online ive red that they changed their minds again and h brawl is there to stay.
Good. will be able to dedicate my free time into jumpstart without feeling guilt
That's good news. Now they just need to kill regular brawl so all the matchmaker players are funneled into h brawl. Since it's singleton it shouldn't be too damn expensive if people want to fuck with it.

The bad news, apparently 2022 will be the year MTG goes nuts. Buddy was telling me there's some Tamigawa cyberpunk set and some modern-day crime set and Street Fighter cards and Fortnite cards and LotR as a modern and historic set and they're apparently going back to Urza and Mishra for a set called Brother's War. Maybe we'll get the anti-Eldraine and have a set as low powered as Fallen Empires.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
That's good news. Now they just need to kill regular brawl so all the matchmaker players are funneled into h brawl. Since it's singleton it shouldn't be too damn expensive if people want to fuck with it.
well, once rotation happens brawl will get butchered

Guess I got hengegate pathway, demilich, meteor swarm, westgate regent, inferno of the star mounts, and froghemoth from the new precons. Not too bad since I didn't wait too much.

Sadly my Ikoria draft went down in flames. I drew 15 of the 16 land in my deck in my final match. 3 turns of land topdecks with 4 land in the deck total after pulling almost all of it out with fertilids sure did suck but thems the breaks. Arena's also working like complete dogshit but that's not really unexpected, just hope they get it smoothed out by Thursday.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Arena's also working like complete dogshit but that's not really unexpected, just hope they get it smoothed out by Thursday.
previous big update was the only one without hiccups right? Or was it past 2? Either way their big streak is gone. This one might be worse than when they were awarding land styles and it was bringing servers down. That one auto resolved on its own over time. Now there are a bunch of weird bugs and looks like they will need some time before they got addressed. For example icrs do not pop open on their own. You need to manually click claim button or reopen window. Reshuffling deck list was annoying too, lickily i dont use upper case in my names so spotting awarded decks was easy. Also it no long shows easilly how many wc are needed to finish deck.
One can only hope that jumpstart will not be further delayed.

In other news I've finally popped open 70 forgotten realms packs. It... didnt feel as good as it used to. It might got something to do with my focus on brawl and only carrying about singles. Only cool thing I have no copy of is green treasure dragon.
Perhaps burning most of my wc treasury would fix this issue? Im sitting at 49 rare and 24 mythic wc, 5 unopened vaults.
Straight up dumping wc on backlog decks that survived testing in all access events would be like 50 rare wc and 10 mythics...
Crating singles of cards I marked in past as interesting would be 25r 20 mythic...

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
these post patch bugs are annoying
5rsdxw4lvjj71.png

Historic brawl's been fun. Finally made me spend wildcards after probably 2ish years of abstaining. Got a bug up my ass to play some Beledros and I needed some expensive bombs to leverage his untapping ability, and my most consistent finisher is torment of hailfire for one billion.

In other news, WotC fucked up historic brawl so everyone has 20 life instead of 25 which is a bit of an issue when you're playing a slow commander that spends life for advantage.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
good news everyone, looks like they are not delaying jumpstart. Will be squeezing fixes for some of the bugs with it

Doktor Best

Arcane
So in all three free drafts i got landscrewed at 2 wins. Managed to eek out a 5:3 in my last draft because my opponent was playing like a dumbass...

Still feeling like equipping my tinfoil hat.

And yeah i also did not get around to play h-brawl. Too much rl stuff going on and when i have the time for hobbies i currently prefer brewing commander decks for paper magic. Started going to a mtg club a few weeks ago. MTG is simply much more fun in person.

Last edited:
Was intending to limit myself to one or two Jumpstart runs a day but I'm going hog fucking wild. Already blew about 10k gold on it and the only reason I'm stopping is because I'm tapped out on the 15 daily win prizes and I'm waiting for it to reset in a few hours so I can keep rolling. Enjoyed Jumpstart the first time around but this is feeling even more fun than before, probably since they've got more power cards so it feels like the rewards are higher and the decks themselves are a bit more fun and fiddly.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
stopping is because I'm tapped out on the 15 daily win prizes
yeah... not limiting myself.

deck strength variance appears to be worse this time around. Serra half can win on its own in most cases. Meanwhile others just suck.

Then there are squirells... man, those grow large wide really fast. If you have weak combination just save yourself some time and concede on first sight of squirrels

stopping is because I'm tapped out on the 15 daily win prizes
yeah... not limiting myself.

deck strength variance appears to be worse this time around. Serra half can win on its own in most cases. Meanwhile others just suck.

Then there are squirells... man, those grow large wide really fast. If you have weak combination just save yourself some time and concede on first sight of squirrels
That's fairly par for the course for Jumpstart though. I know I had a few god-awful deck combos in regular Jumpstart that I practically just had to hope I'd win via opponents conceding.
One weird thing about this is I was bopping around watching some random Jumpstart videos for shits and giggles because I wanna keep playing but I'll at least wait for my dailies to reset, and as much as I understand people bitching about the price... I dunno. The cards you're getting are random, but you're getting at least 4 rares/mythics for every 2k you drop and your duplicates count toward vault progress and all that jazz. Guess it's understandable if people just want the cards to immediately play historic and don't want to fuck around with Jumpstart but I kinda dig it. Always weirds me out when people talk about how MTGA's whale-only when I've blown something like $50 on it total over 3ish years. I guess the difference is if you haven't been playing that long then it's miserable.

Speaking of looking at random-ass Jumpstart videos, saw one guy recommend an interesting combo. Wither your own vesperlark which either forces a draw, or you have bastion of remembrance/blood artist/etc so you get pings on every creature death and just infinitely machinegun down your opponent. The key pieces are commons/uncommons and the combo pieces are all decent enough in a vacuum and work with the deck at large fine so I assume there'd be a playable historic aristocrats budget bullshit combo deck out there.
49d1fae1-06da-40eb-adea-84babbfd94e4.jpg

32776159-3fb6-4a70-be84-837ccd1d54a7.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Always weirds me out when people talk about how MTGA's whale-only when I've blown something like $50 on it total over 3ish years. I guess the difference is if you haven't been playing that long then it's miserable.
dont have the will to calculate right now. Lets go with easier, pre mastery times. You would easilly get 1k gold per day, along with 3 packs per week. That's 10k gold per week, 40k per month.
after 3 years thats 1.44m

or 1440 packs
thats 16x 90 packs bundle. equivalent in usd is 1440. Thats how far ahead from newbies you are just from playing on daily basis

Frankly, newbies are stuck in standard, perhaps can grow into mono color h brawl(imagine spending 40 rare wc just for lands otherwise :stunned:)

Frankly, newbies are stuck in standard, perhaps can grow into mono color h brawl(imagine spending 40 rare wc just for lands otherwise :stunned:)
That's a good point, my historic manabase is largely grandfathered in from shit being in standard. Anyone getting into it now would have a massive pile of rare wildcards just for lands. So when I look at a deck and think "Yeah that'd take 12 rares and 6 mythics, that'd suck" it's an order of magnitude worse for newbies. Wonder if they'll ever reach a point where they just let people buy wildcards at a more favorable rate than randomly pulling them/getting 1 per 6 boosters. The problem I guess would be trying to sell wildcards at a more favorable rate so people could directly buy into shit without feeling too bad but not completely gut the value of regular boosters.

Or of course they could just slash all prices by half or three quarters because it's digital-only and can't be traded or resold. I assume they've probably crunched the numbers and decided that what they'd lose on whales by reducing prices they wouldn't make up in volume, but I dunno.

Luka trigger warning, excessive wh*teness:

Got a 4 pip salty rope from a dude because of getting a Serra's emblem win. Guy kept playing despite my board full of dudes so I figured he either wanted to just play around or maybe he did have some sweeper tucked away to beat me, but nope. Played out his entire deck then put a stop on his upkeep before he decked out and ran the clock out. He was 13 cards deeper into his deck so that's the obvious way to take the win but such is life.

Ziggy

Scholar
did four jumpstarts, got the new vampire two drop, two yawgmoths, zombie colossus, hearthstone davriel, legendary rat, new gobbo, and harmonic prodigy (this thing is going to be nuts in boros magecraft)
pretty good

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Luka trigger warning, excessive wh*teness:
rope is worse than whiteness

Or of course they could just slash all prices by half or three quarters because it's digital-only and can't be traded or resold. I assume they've probably crunched the numbers and decided that what they'd lose on whales by reducing prices they wouldn't make up in volume, but I dunno.
there were repeated calls to make historic packs cheaper, offer wc bundles or shock/check lands bundles, like anthologies

one surpsising thing about new jumpstart, that i didnt norice or care(since its commons/uncommons we are talking about) is high number of changelings. That might help/enable some brawl commanders that were light on given creature type

one surpsising thing about new jumpstart, that i didnt norice or care(since its commons/uncommons we are talking about) is high number of changelings. That might help/enable some brawl commanders that were light on given creature type
Added another pirate too if you want to keep trying to live the dream in historic brawl. Though she's probably not that great for it, getting a third card played in a turn might be tricky unless you're loaded on draw.

71052204-d35c-4603-9af6-a1691f438d48.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom