Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness; GrapeOcean Technologies; V Publishing

The absurd writing has been greatly toned down and the evangelists have long since moved on, but Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness lives. As promised, GrapeOcean's increasingly anticipated real-time-with-pause RPG was released on Early Access today after a remarkably extensive promotional campaign (including a sponsored raffle at PC Gamer for a custom Black Geyser gaming PC). The game's new animated trailer tells the story of the alliance between devil-god Rothgor and the goddess of greed Zornilsa, who is the architect of the supernatural greed infestation plaguing the land. Here it is along with an excerpt from the Early Access FAQ:

Why Early Access?

Black Geyser is a vast and complex roleplaying game in development by a small indie team, the game is designed to immerse the player in a medieval fantasy world infested by greed. Designing the world takes time, but we also want to open the world to players to gain valuable feedback on what systems do and don’t work.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

We aim to release the full version of Black Geyser in Q1 2022. The exact release date may change depending on the feedback we receive from players.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

The final version of Black Geyser will include the full playable story of the game, alongside additional quests and companions to access. We hope to add more story content and polish to the game and expand on some of the already existing game systems, such as crafting and skills.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
The scope of Black Geyser has increased since we first arrived on Kickstarter. Based on fan feedback, it has increased in scope, with a larger world and more features. The Early Access version will be a fully playable roleplaying game with most in-game areas, and some of the main story. The introduction area and first two chapters of the game will be playable on Early Access' launch, with two more still in the making. Most in-game systems such as combat, skills, spells and crafting are finished and in the balancing and polishing stage.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
We are planning to offer the game at a lower price while in Early Access.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
We are looking forward to receiving feedback from our players on our Steam Forums and reviews, as well as on our Discord server. We will be implementing changes to content and balancing based on the feedback from the community in an effort to make the best experience possible for our players. We believe that player feedback is critical to the success of the game and we plan to fully integrate suggestions and fixes based on what you tell us!

The Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Early Access build is available on Steam and GOG for $25, with a 10% launch discount until next week. It would have been smarter not to release it right before the parade of actually finished RPGs coming out next month, but that's Black Geyser for you. As stated, the full launch is scheduled for the first quarter of 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
sifAHFngExyL62Tq7vRFD4-1024-80.jpeg.webp

I need that Black Geyser gaming PC.

agris

Arcane
Patron
40 to 60 fps on a mix of 7 to 10 year old hardware.

edit: and 1080p b/c that's as high as the game appears to go, although i've setup the config file to render at 1440p i think it's just stretching.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Ha funny thing is that Steam reviews pretty much say that you really do need a high end Gaming rig to just to get through character creation screen.

40 to 60 fps on a mix of 7 to 10 year old hardware.

edit: and 1080p b/c that's as high as the game appears to go, although i've setup the config file to render at 1440p i think it's just stretching.
If it's Unity then no rig will help you. There are places in Deadfire where my rtx 3060 gets gangbanged into 20 fps. Unity is a retarded engine, almost on par with Aurora.
For some reason Pathfinder is super smooth so maybe it's just dev incompetence.

Skdursh

Savant
Ha funny thing is that Steam reviews pretty much say that you really do need a high end Gaming rig to just to get through character creation screen.
If it's Unity then no rig will help you. There are places in Deadfire where my rtx 3060 gets gangbanged into 20 fps. Unity is a retarded engine, almost on par with Aurora.
For some reason Pathfinder is super smooth so maybe it's just dev incompetence.

Unity isn't retarded, the people who use it are. You can optimize just as well with Unity as you can with most other modern engines, it's just that most modern developers have forgotten what the word "optimization" means. They have so much extra power to work with these days many of them have become lazy. Kind of like how they abuse diskspace because "storage is cheap".

Arthandas

Liturgist
You can optimize just as well with Unity as you can with most other modern engines
Other engines don't need special optimizations to not completely tank performance in an isometric rpg with 2d backgrounds and some simple 3d npcs.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Programming skill in gaming industry has been for 10 years in decline. Zoomers are terrible programmers, gen X are best ones. Gen X are out of industry

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can optimize just as well with Unity as you can with most other modern engines
Other engines don't need special optimizations to not completely tank performance in an isometric rpg with 2d backgrounds and some simple 3d npcs.

Unity can do good performance if coded well. See Atom for instance.

The issue is that most devs use the same poorly optimised plugins and assets as well as random code snippets they find on the Unity forums.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Programming skill in gaming industry has been for 10 years in decline. Zoomers are terrible programmers, gen X are best ones. Gen X are out of industry
abstraction was a mistake, very few learn the interplay between architecture, assembly/compiler, and whatever high-level code they're writing in that is 300% slower than CPP.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Played EA for couple of hours and I must say its not bad. Not bad at all. A very pleasant and welcome surprise. Music and art design are especially nice. Don't mind the VO and some dialogues were pretty neat. I think its not a POE rip off but more like what POE should have been in the first place. Good luck to the developers they really might be onto something.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Game is pretty empty right now (it is early access) but it has a distinctive lack of pretentiousness that almost feels like therapy after years of try hard lore in these kinds of games.

JDR13

Arcane
Played EA for couple of hours and I must say its not bad. Not bad at all. A very pleasant and welcome surprise. Music and art design are especially nice. Don't mind the VO and some dialogues were pretty neat. I think its not a POE rip off but more like what POE should have been in the first place. Good luck to the developers they really might be onto something.

I think the obvious comparison is Baldur's Gate not PoE. I don't agree it's what's PoE should have been, and I'm glad it wasn't.

To me, PoE was different enough to be interesting. This game tries too hard to be like BG, but it feels inferior in every way.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"The absurd writing has been greatly toned down and the evangelists have long since moved on, but Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness lives."

What the hell is he talking about and I missed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom