Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-8-27_1-33-57.png

Into the trash it goes.

Mortmal

Arcane
"but one thing made me refund it a couple of hours in, and that's writing. Honestly, it's so bad, that it makes Fallout 4 look like Dostaevsky's novels. Dialogue options are filled with boring cliche tropes, characters are instantly forgetable, and it just feels sad"
Sounds like what a codexer could write...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
"but one thing made me refund it a couple of hours in, and that's writing. Honestly, it's so bad, that it makes Fallout 4 look like Dostaevsky's novels. Dialogue options are filled with boring cliche tropes, characters are instantly forgetable, and it just feels sad"
Sounds like what a codexer could write...

the guy that wrote this review gave a negative review of pathologic 2, a highly long winded and positive review of disco elysium, and all his other reviews are in Russian while black geyser's is the only one in English

sus.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Only a handful of reviews, no torrent for the game yet... Nobody seems to give a fuck about the game.
This is its best case for success. Hype is a mind killer. Let it exist and grow into the devs vision (complete with herbing), it will either be trash or the rare indie auteur gem.

Bland, market tested, please-your-cousin middling bullshit is the death of creativity. I would take 99 Hindenburgs for 1 transatlantic flight.

The world doesn’t need more Lufthansa Munich to London runs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Launching 6 days before Wrath of The Righteous was probably a awful idea... But by having necromancers it is already better than BG3 and Solasta combined.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think it's that big of a deal since it's not really launching, just entering into early access.. might even get some people craving an RPG to grab it with the intention of "oh I'll play this for a few days while I wait for pathfinder and then wait until it comes out of ea"

Dodo1610

Arcane
I thought the writing had that trashy Badurs Gate (1) charm where everyone talks like your drunk DM. I have personally no plans to buy it while it's in EA but I can imagine I get it later because I am a fan of European nostalgia bait RPG questionable quality. I mean you start with throwing knives instead of a bow/crossbow that show much these devs love ADND, even Kingmaker treats throwing weapons like obscurities.

Black Geyser's main issue is that it's 2021 it's been 6 years since POE that people kinda expect more than just a fairly generic BG clone with ugly graphics especially if you fuck up basics like your own chars not reacting to enemies, bad performance, looooooooong loading screens or not being able to simply equip something by clicking the right mouse button. 10 years ago people would have probably praised this game.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Black Geyser's main issue is that it's 2021 it's been 6 years since POE that people kinda expect more than just a fairly generic BG clone with ugly graphics especially if you fuck up basics like your own chars not reacting to enemies, bad performance, looooooooong loading screens or not being able to simply equip something by clicking the right mouse button. 10 years ago people would have probably praised this game.
are we discussing kingmaker again?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Fedora Master i think the key difference is that dark eruption is in EA, while PoE is a complete polished product that we have had time to reflect on.. except me, that game is obv trash - they got my money, they won’t get my time.

I don’t know the scope of the murky eruption EA, but if we judged BG by candlekeep and the wilderness zones to the friendly arms inn and then down to Beregost and the Nashkel mines, it may come across as drab. Especially without the areas fully fleshed out. I’m getting an image of excidium and the word BANAL, for some reason.

i barely played the darkness breaks forth, but it’s EA. It’ll be what it is, maybe good maybe bad, but hard to say at this point.

Dodo1610

Arcane
are we discussing kingmaker again?

Kingmaker main selling point wasn't nostalgia since neither the gameplay nor the visuals are really that "old school". For Black Geyser nostalgia might just be the only selling point it has.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
played about an hour so far, it's rather rough around the edges for sure but something they can fix throughout early access.. the initial intro scene is pretty bad in terms of both voice acting and dialogue but thankfully everything after that has been fine imo. went through the tutorial on DRYING and CRUSHING, it was neat. fought some kobolds and wolves and met up w/ a lad at a crossroads.. just got to the city need to buy some more arrows... it's a little janky but it already feels more like an actual "love letter to BG" made by fans of the genre than the soulless corporate feeling of PoE. not well optimized though (but again, it's still early)

haven't encountered a tranny or a stronk female man-at-arms yet

Readher

Savant
Played over 5 hours on the first day, so it had to do something right. The game's mostly on-rails for now, but I expect it to change soon after a certain event happens. I mostly get 90 FPS which makes the game perfectly smooth, but considering how it looks you'd think I'd get much more (that also applies to other Unity cRPGs though). Loading times are really good, much better than Kingmaker or, God forbid, PoE. The dialogues are a bit rough in some places, probably closest to BG1, but at least it doesn't have a pretentious text bloat like PoE. Overall, can't wait to play more today.

Readher

Savant
People have reported performance issues? In THIS?

Let me guess: Made with Unity? :hahano:
Yes. I don't know what people are playing this on, though. Some guy says he has 15 FPS, I asked him what he was playing on and from what I can see he deleted my comment since it's not there (can you even do that?). Another review says:
I can't even keep stable 60 fps with Ryzen 5600 and 1080ti with 1440p resolution (surprisingly- it seems like it's CPU that's getting the worst of it). Add to it loading screen for every transition that takes about 30 seconds to load (even using NVME SSD) and it takes a lot of patience to play it.
Which also seems like bullshit. Granted, I was playing on 1080p, but my CPU and GPU are worse (3700X and RX 580) and my loading times were like 8 seconds at most on a SATA SSD. I've already mentioned I mostly get 90 FPS, though it does dip as low as 40 for a brief moment from time to time (mostly when first entering an area with many NPCs I think, though I wasn't paying that much attention to it).

Most of the negative reviews are just people jerking off to PoE, which for me means OPINION DISCARDED. There is valid criticism to have for this game, but PoE is not something you want to compare a cRPG to in anything that's not visuals.

EDIT:
BQ6Q9xY.png

finished playing the first pillars of eternity (third time)
triple-h-disgusted.gif

Generic-Giant-Spider

If this game ends up being shit I will... I'll probably keep playing it or silently drop it. What else am I gonna do? Look at me, I'm a twerp. Can't do nothing.

Now let's load 'er up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom