Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your ONE favorite video game of all time?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Sr0031.webp

The Rance series as a whole is a perfect marriage between combatfag and storyfag halves. Sengoku Rance does not have the best story in the series but that is its only flaw (and the story is still superior to 98% of western rpgs). It is THE most perfect strategy game ever published, but with an open, nonlinearity that evokes Star Control 2.

When I played the game for the first time, I COULD NOT STOP PLAYING IT- I played for 4 days straight, no food, no sleep, NOTHING. And then I slept for A WEEK, straight, waking up only to pee. That's the power of story and gameplay and music and challenge and fun together united.

Sengoku Rance
is better than sex.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
When I played the game for the first time, I COULD NOT STOP PLAYING IT- I played for 4 days straight, no food, no sleep, NOTHING. And then I slept for A WEEK, straight, waking up only to pee. That's the power of story amphetamines
Be careful with them, seriously.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Video game? I'm tempted to say either of the N64 Zelda games, as well Final Fantasy VI. However, it's probably Neverwinter Nights if I'm allowed to include all of the expansions and user made content. Unlike Zelda or FFVI, that's something I'll be able to install anytime and never get tired of playing.

Astor Lefflinker

Barely Literate
I'd say Ragnarok Online during it's prime. No pay to win, just monthly subscription, no cash shop, thousands of players online and adventuring together, met my first gf in that game, when you want to sell your loot or crafted items you set up shop on the street and go afk and wait for a player to buy. The game had a living and breathing economy with inflation and deflation. Nothing beats old school MMOs imo, not even FFXIV at it's state right now, old schoo lMMOs were so brave.

Vatnik Wumao
I'd say Europa Universalis IV for the replayability. Didn't really enjoy Vicky 2 due to its janky state even with mods, otherwise I would've picked that. Crusader Kings 2 was good too, but it gets stale once you know all the various events which in turn nullifies the appeal of its emergent storytelling aspect.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Has to be Fallout 1. It's changed over the years, I used to prefer longer and more content so things like Fallout 2 and BG2 were my favorites, but with less time it's more and more enjoyable to relish time with a classic. I've played and beaten it more times than I can count, and it still delivers.

KafkaBot

Scholar
I was racking my brain over being monocled and saying Planescape: Torment or embracing my filthy weebery and going with Fate/Stay Night.

I was getting nowhere quickly, so I decided to shift my criteria a bit and copy someone else's choosing method: which one game would I take to a deserted island? Thinking about that made me realize: as wonderful as those two titles I mentioned are, they aren't really conducive to lots of successive replays, given how text-centered both of them are. I love them to pieces, but I WOULDN't take any of them to a place where they'd be my only gaming choice.

So I'm going to go right ahead and say Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The only game I've completed four times (even Thief Gold and Thief 2 were titles I only finished twice), and I'd wager I could easily play it a dozen times more.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
So I'm going to go right ahead and say Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The only game I've completed four times (even Thief Gold and Thief 2 were titles I only finished twice), and I'd wager I could easily play it a dozen times more.
Imo Bloodlines is too linear and doesn't allow for enough experimentation gameplay-wise to be a good desert island game, even though it is an awesome game.

If we're using the desert island method to choose a favourite I pick doom/doom 2 if mods etc are allowed. Otherwise dark souls 1 or Arcanum.

Damn I still can't pick one.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Imo Bloodlines is too linear and doesn't allow for enough experimentation gameplay-wise to be a good desert island game, even though it is an awesome game.

If we're using the desert island method to choose a favourite I pick doom/doom 2 if mods etc are allowed. Otherwise dark souls 1 or Arcanum.

Damn I still can't pick one.

Thing is, while it IS rather linear, I'm a sucker for plot - and atmosphere. Bloodlines' aesthetics and world just speak to me on a deeper level than any other game, for some bizarre reason (Hell, I don't even like vampires); I'd wager it has to do with how just amazing it is at immersing the player in its consistent, unified vision - even with all the cracks and warts, you still feel like there's a core philosophy that dictates everything the game shows you. That, combined with the sufficiently different "tastes" the various clans give you, makes VtMB the only story-heavy game that gives me a desire to replay it the very moment I see the credits.

But admittedly, now that I think about it, since we're going with desert island... all of this is only true if I knew I'd get to leave the island at some point. If I had no fucking idea when I'd be able to see civilization again, it'd probably be wiser to go with a game that has a much larger replay value, even if the first few playthroughs wouldn't be as enormously enjoyable (to me) as a game like Vampire. Something like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, most likely.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
EQ or Vanguard, either way it no longer exists.

Someone other than me liked Vanguard. Awesome.

Judging by the amount of times I have replayed it I choose Earthbound followed by the more manly choice of Fallout 2. I almost chose Super Castlevania 4 because I could boot it up now and play it and enjoy it, but this is RPGCodex or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom