Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst remake by Cyan

Pound Meat

Prophet
Did they ever remake Riven so I don't have to switch discs every time the screen changes?

Casual Hero

Augur
The digital releases on GOG and steam play seamlessly.
As for a proper 'remake', that would be the aforementioned "Starry Expanse Project".

Neuromancer

Augur
There was also a DVD version, where everything was stored on one disc. That one also had better video quality than the CD version.
I guess the DVD version is also the basis for all the newer releases with ScummVM (like the GOG version).

Played the VR version on Quest a few days ago. Myst plays like it was always made for VR. Obduction's VR support was in the early days of this generation of VR. And it was underwhelming. This version of Myst though just tickles me in the right places. It's not perfect. It has the same issue of a lot of VR games where your hands phase through the environment and physics interaction is limited. Plus the inability to consult a handwritten journal to figure out puzzles is a bit of a faff. And there's no in game alternative I can write in. But it is still phenomenal and surreal to be playing Myst and feeling like I'm actually on the island. Being able to just walk around and see things at eye level. It's something you can't fully appreciate until you actually put the headset on for yourself and see.

Neuromancer

Augur
Can you take screenshots and watch them for reference (in VR) like what they did with the later 2D games?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played the VR version on Quest a few days ago. Myst plays like it was always made for VR. Obduction's VR support was in the early days of this generation of VR. And it was underwhelming. This version of Myst though just tickles me in the right places. It's not perfect. It has the same issue of a lot of VR games where your hands phase through the environment and physics interaction is limited. Plus the inability to consult a handwritten journal to figure out puzzles is a bit of a faff. And there's no in game alternative I can write in. But it is still phenomenal and surreal to be playing Myst and feeling like I'm actually on the island. Being able to just walk around and see things at eye level. It's something you can't fully appreciate until you actually put the headset on for yourself and see.

Obduction was also retro-fitted with VR, while Myst's Remake and the upcoming Firmament are made with VR in mind from the offset.

Boleskine

Arcane

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/m...and-xbox-game-pass-on-august-26/1100-6495234/

Myst Remake Coming To PC And Xbox Game Pass On August 26
The game first launched late last year on Oculus Quest but is now coming to Xbox and PC platforms.

Developer Cyan Worlds has announced that its remake of Myst is coming to Xbox Game Pass for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, cloud, and PC, as well as PC via Steam, Epic Games Store, and GOG on August 26. On Steam, the title does not require a VR headset as it runs in both standard and VR modes.

There are several new and requested features for this version of Myst, including multiple language options through its localized UI, dialogue, and subtitles. Additionally, there are a variety of accessibility features and graphical options to choose from like ray tracing and supersampling. In VR mode, Myst has many comfort level features such as enabling smooth or snap turning, quick travel up stairs and ladders, and height quantization. On Xbox Series X|S, the game runs at 60fps.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Seeing it in motion is cool, as are seeing swaying trees. It looks pretty in general...but, there's just something missing. It doesn't really look like Myst to me, and I'm not sure what it is.

wahrk

Learned
atrusme.png

atrus.png

:prosper:

ferratilis

Magister
Guys, how does this game hold up? I never played Myst, but based on some gameplay, it seems to require quite a lot of moon logic to progress as opposed to something like Talos Principle, where you go 'oh, so that's how you do that.' Does this game have those eureka moments or is it pure trial and error?

wahrk

Learned
Guys, how does this game hold up? I never played Myst, but based on some gameplay, it seems to require quite a lot of moon logic to progress as opposed to something like Talos Principle, where you go 'oh, so that's how you do that.' Does this game have those eureka moments or is it pure trial and error?

There’s no moon logic here, just methodical exploration like V_K said. It’s not really like Talos where it’s just a sequence of puzzle rooms iterating on the same mechanics. In Myst the world is the puzzle and you’re dropped into it without any explanation of how things work or why. Just try things and take plenty of notes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Rand Miller, Cyan's founder and co-creator of Myst, and Eric A. Anderson, Creative Director at Cyan as they explore Cyan's newly re-imagined version of Myst and talk about the dev process, what's new on Myst Island and whatever else comes to mind as they wander through a version of Myst that has been nearly 30 years in the making!

ferratilis

Magister
Someone is doing God's work, although it's still not perfect. But better versions of this mod will surely come in the future.

https://www.pcgamer.com/modders-dethrone-cgi-to-restore-glorious-fmv-in-the-myst-remake/
Modders dethrone CGI to restore glorious FMV in the Myst remake

Some fans did not like the new CGI replacements for Myst's iconic scenes.

A significant faction of people like the idea that widely-played PC adventure classic Myst has recently gotten a remaster. A smaller faction of people within that significant faction does not like the new CGI sequences that were Full Motion Video in the original and the 2014 remake realmyst.

The new CGI isn't awful, and a lot of work probably went into it, but honestly it looks a bit like also-ran Civilization VI leaders doing Myst and doesn't quite gel with the realistic aesthetic that Myst leans on.

Naturally, modders have solved this problem(?) by doing what they do best. A nice modder has replaced those naughty CGI bits with upscaled versions of the original FMV. You can find that on the Steam forums. Because of changes to the game's plot, not every single CGI bit can be easily replaced by the FMV, and the videos won't sync 100% with what's being said. For all that, the developers of the new Myst have given the modding their tacit blessing, and that's neat.

wahrk

Learned
Nice. That's easily been my biggest complaint with this remake so far.

PCGamer said:
The new CGI isn't awful

....it's pretty bad.

achenor.png

In motion it looks even worse, like an animatronic puppet. Honestly seeing what they did here with the FMVs made me a lot less interested in a potential Riven remaster.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Haven't played it yet, but while I see why they did this change, their reasoning is no doubt the FMV will clash with the new graphical style, their solution isn't that great. That looks less Civ VI and more like a character out of the Nancy Drew games. It makes sense for that series, since they used to create 2 games a year, but for a big hyped up remake? Eh...

A patch somewhere in September added the original FMVs. Good of them to listen to the fans.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1255560/view/2962794086570334507

Update notes for Patch 3, and now introducing: CLASSIC VIDEO mode!

Hey all, Hannah from Cyan here. Patch 3 is here for Myst on PC/Mac! It’s a big update with lots of fixes & feature updates (some of which have been highly requested by y’all), so hang tight and come along for the ride!

New Features

• The feature you’ve all been waiting for… we’ve added a "Classic Videos" option to the display settings menu! Enabling it will allow you to watch some classic, upscaled versions of Myst videos where applicable, plus the original audio to go along with it. This setting is disabled by default but can be enabled (or disabled) at any time. A few things to note:
    • If you change this setting in the midst of a game session, you may have to reload your save, or leave + re-enter the area you’re in to see the nearby videos and audio change.
    • We do not yet have subtitles in for the classic audio, as this will require some time to write up the timing + words in the format Unreal Engine prefers, and put that text through another localization pass.
    • (SPOILER) This change does not apply to the characters in any of the end-game sequences, or the regular fly-by videos for each Age.
    • (SPOILER) Classic videos mode currently won’t play the “extra” video that plays after the player learns of the fireplace code page. This is the video of the brothers immediately reminding the player of the fireplace code page instead of taking a minute to get to it. We will put a fix in for this in the next patch.

• If you wish to see tutorials for gameplay every time you encounter a puzzle instead of tutorials for interactions you have not yet learned, we’ve added a menu option for you! "Always Show Tutorials" is a new option in our display settings menu that will do just that for you.
  • For all of you who don’t want to bask in the glory of our full 20s Cyan logo movie every time you start up Myst, we now have "skip" functionality implemented. After 5 seconds of dreaded waiting, you can skip through the logo scene with the enter key or with the bottom face button on your controller.
  • Added framerate limit setting to graphics settings menu (unlimited by default).
  • Added motion blur option to graphics settings menu (disabled by default).
  • For folks who want the cursor to get out of the way more often for screenshots or whatnot: We’ve added an option into the display settings menu to allow the cursor to auto-hide if you are not moving around or hovering over an interactable.
  • Engage mode cursor speed now respects the look/turn sensitivity players set in the menu.
  • There are new launch options as of 2 days ago (August 30th) to start up the 2D game with dx11.

VR-specific Fixes

• Updated Knuckles controls to allow for height reset & other shortcuts; see the new controller diagram for it in the controls settings menu for more information.
  • Fix for Myst appearing unresponsive when taking off SteamVR HMD for a few minutes and then putting it back on.
  • Updated launch options so that they don’t start up SteamVR if you selected a 2D play mode.
  • Another potential fix for the menu disappearing for some SteamVR users running the game with their HMD above 90hz. If you are still encountering the issue, please ensure your graphics drivers are up to date, delete your GameUserSettings.ini file in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Myst\Saved\Config, and attempt to validate game files to see if that helps.

General Fixes & Improvements

• (SPOILER) Fix for the white page disappearing from D'ni when the player opens + closes the menu it’s floating in the air.
  • Fix for the channelwood spiral staircase door locking you out from middle level on a revisit of the Age if you pulled the lever more than once while it was opening the first time you visited that age
  • Fix for some pickupable objects in Mechanical caches being invisible when you open the menu + close the menu while inside of the cache.
  • Fix for the music volume not being set on startup after setting it to 0 in a previous game instance.
  • Fixed some LOD pops on Myst Island.
  • General performance improvements for users with M1 Mac laptops.
  • Fix for the elevator blocker lever in the Mechanical Age being unresponsive sometimes, or flipping back to a position you did not intend for it to.
  • Numerical elements on clocktower puzzle gears have been darkened so that they are more readable at lower resolution scales.
  • Fix for being able to use the fortress rotation controls while inside of the elevator in the Mechanical Age.
  • Fix for some items spawning outside of the drawers on save/load.
  • Changed the colors up on the pipe controllers in Channelwood so that the levers have a more interactable appearance.
  • Fix for the fog showing up in ray traced reflections.
  • Fix for the player being able to pick up a book in VR and 2D when the bookshelf in Myst Library is open.
  • Fix for the ceiling fan and linking book in Stoneship ship becoming visible when stepping to the end of the plank on Myst Island.
  • Fix for softlock in Mechanical on the second floor when being booted from the elevator.
  • Fix for main menu scene not being reachable from logo scene if there are no audio devices available, or music is set to 0 on gamestartup.
  • Prevent player from being able to change walk/run mode while in Cyan Logo scene, and if it can't change walk/run, prevent the notification from showing at all.
  • Added a “fail” sound for Myst Island tower elevator if the player tries to move it without the door closed.
  • Added a “fail” sound for Channelwood elevators if they are powered but the player tries to move it without the door closed.
  • Linking books can now be used to link by clicking on any part of the panel page, instead of the book closing if you press the white space below the linking panel.
  • Fix for disengage from Myst Island bookshelf not working if you previously disengaged from reading a book with the left mouse button.
  • Fix for some interactable cursor offset issues after going up or down a ladder.

Upcoming

• Thank you to everyone who has reported issues with crashes on startup after enabling certain menu options. In most cases, ensuring 1. Your machine fits out minimum spec, 2. Your graphics drivers are up to date, and 3. Verifying game file integrity should fix the issue for most, but there are some legitimate engine issues on specific hardware in dx12 that we are looking into resolving. Also, if you’ve enabled some graphics settings that caused Myst to poop out launching every time after then, you can delete your user settings here: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Myst\Saved\Config, and please let us know which setting it was that caused the issue (as well as information about your machine). As a workaround for these issues for now, you can use our new launch option for starting the game in dx11 mode, and that should get you in the game ASAP.
  • We hope to implement a menu feature to increase dialog subtitle size in 2D.
  • We are looking into a fix for the half page in Stoneship being very dark when picking it up from the side of the drawer. As a workaround for now, you can see the page clearly if you pick up the page with the drawer opened directly in front of you.
  • For the folks playing in a true-free-roam environment in VR (literally walking around in a physical space), we have some hopeful fixes coming soon for the screen randomly appearing to turn black when you walk in tight collision arenas.
  • Some folks with their system language in languages other than English have found that changing the game language while in a game instance does not immediately update the journal textures to match the desired language. We will look into fixing this, but as a workaround for now, you can quit and restart Myst, and the textures should reflect the desired language.
  • More fun improvements and features are in the pipe that we’ll announce at a later date.

Extra Notes

If anyone encounters any crashes or other issues, please email support@cyan.com with the following information:
  1. Dxdiag (if on Windows) or screenshot of “About this Mac” page (if on Mac) of your machine,
  2. The contents of your C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Myst\Saved directory, zipped up, or if on Mac, the contents of your /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Epic/Myst/Saved directory, and
  3. Details of the bug, with any repro steps if possible.

For folks who monitor our Steam page for patch update information but own Myst on other platforms, and are still waiting on a patch for Myst to come to Gamepass/Xbox One/Xbox Series/Windows Store, please note that all updates we push on those platforms have to go through a certification process on Microsoft’s end that can take a week or longer. We are submitting a patch today and we hope for it to be approved sometime next week. Unfortunately this process is completely out of our control so we can only hope for it to get through the queue ASAP and be approved at the end of it all.

We will be out of the office this Labor Day weekend, through the end of the day Monday, and will address any tickets or discussions once we’re back in the office on Tuesday.

Thank you for all of your support! Enjoy playing Myst, and have a great weekend, y’all!

- Hannah @ Cyan

Last edited by a moderator:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've not played Myst yet, I just checked out some version comparison videos a few minutes ago, and to me it seems the Masterpiece Edition from 1999 is the one worth playing? I don't like it how they completely changed the mood of most scenes in the later "remastered" versions, plus I don't care about full 3D movement at all (in this game it seems like a detriment to me). This latest remaster seems really bad, they ran everything through this weird gold/brown filter which completely obliterates all of the atmosphere, plus it's painfully bright.

Last edited:

iqzulk

Augur
Riven = Ominous Horizons / Jumanji, Ominous Horizons being Art-Cinema Interactive, applicable as a grimoire on relevant social schemas, while Jumanji movie is simply flat anti-Myst.
Nevermind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom