Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soys Row 2022

deuxhero

Arcane
I want to remind people that Voliton's community manager stepped down May 10th of this year. Whoever is sending out those sassy anti-consumer tweets is a new hire or a fill in. I'm sure that will have interesting consequences down the road...

mogwaimon

Magister
I understand the idea of a reboot and a change in tone. How do you want to top IV and the expansion in the same style and tone?
I'm also not sure what is journalist virtual signaling ("casual sexism, yuck") and what is really in the new game. The devs did a bad job in communicating that with the Fortnite trailer and their "contemporary" bullshit.

you could, for instance, return to the tone of the first and second games. At least then we'd hopefully get some sort of quality from it, SR2 was the only real continuation of the San Andreas formula and that's been gone for ages. if they just did a rebooted Saint's Row in the same vein as SR2 then they'd sell fuckin hotcakes since the market is wide open; Rockstar just does shitty semi-realism simulators nowadays and not old-school GTA. But nah, they decided to retread Saint's Row 3 instead which was already a decided downgrade from SR2 and somehow make it worse.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
geeiwonderwhatsgoingonhere.jpg"

Now I'm not sure but I think. Just hear me out on this one. That they based the characters on themselves.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the Saints a group of 20-something ugly nerd hipster doofus should be fired...from a cannon, into a large brick wall. Those characters just look fucking dumb. They seem like extreme parody versions of characters from Watch Dogs 2, but even the Watch Dogs 2 characters look tougher than these guys and they were designed to be a group of hipster nerd hackers. Black guy looks like fucking hipster Steve Urkel.

hey, hey, don't be dissin my man Brother Mouzone now, he's proof you can have an intimidating Steve Urkel lookin motherfucker

brothermouzone.jpg

That said my soul died a little more when the reboot trailer dropped. I knew I was going to be disappointed by whatever Volition put out considering SR3 and 4 were both disappointing compared to SR2 but I wasn't prepared for the depths of decline to which they've stooped. I can only hope the actual game plays like the Christ came down to Earth and designed it himself because that's the only way this shitshow is going to be redeemed...but we all know that ain't gonna happen. You know something's wrong when someone's more excited for the patched version of a game you put out like 12 years ago that your company only assigned two guys to work on (RIP Idolninja) than they are for your new reboot.

Something I found funny about this new trailer they released today is they show some concept art for the game, and the characters, while still the same characters, look way fucking better than what's in the game. Black guy isn't some skinny little thin necked looking twerp. The girl in the glasses (they're sunglasses in the concept art) is actually cool and attractive looking in the concept art. Shirtless guy who wants to cook seems to be the most unchanllenge, although he's more buff looking in the concept art. Everyone also seems to have been made less attractive than their concept art versions. There's some production art around the end at the 5:37 mark that shows them all together in a car and it is not the versions of the characters we're seeing in the game footage.

The group also has more of a uniform look in the concept art. There's a lot of other colors on these characters not related to the Saints in the game, looking at the Boss and Black Nerd Guy you'd think the teams color is green, Driver Girl is wearing mostly red and yellow. In the concept art if there's color on their clothing it's purple, like Driver Girl has Saints purple sunglasses. And maybe they're doing some thing where they're wearing green because they're green since they're just starting out, but Driver Girl fucks that up because she's red and yellow.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something I found funny about this new trailer they released today is they show some concept art for the game, and the characters, while still the same characters, look way fucking better than what's in the game. Black guy isn't some skinny little thin necked looking twerp. The girl in the glasses (they're sunglasses in the concept art) is actually cool and attractive looking in the concept art. Shirtless guy who wants to cook seems to be the most unchanllenge, although he's more buff looking in the concept art. Everyone also seems to have been made less attractive than their concept art versions. There's some production art around the end at the 5:37 mark that shows them all together in a car and it is not the versions of the characters we're seeing in the game footage.

The group also has more of a uniform look in the concept art. There's a lot of other colors on these characters not related to the Saints in the game, looking at the Boss and Black Nerd Guy you'd think the teams color is green, Driver Girl is wearing mostly red and yellow. In the concept art if there's color on their clothing it's purple, like Driver Girl has Saints purple sunglasses. And maybe they're doing some thing where they're wearing green because they're green since they're just starting out, but Driver Girl fucks that up because she's red and yellow.
Wow, thanks for posting this. I wasn't excited about watching 7 minutes of self-congratulation so I skipped this preview but this is important information.

Here are the concept art designs ALG is talking about:

These characters are GORGEOUS in comparison to what we see in the actual trailers. They have a sense of humor but, critically, take themselves seriously. They seem like grownups. I particularly like the original Eli, a disdainful guy who wears a tux because he's classy, not as a joke. The in-game characters seem like clowns and Muppets by comparison.

Somewhere between the concept stage and in-game modeling, some executive said "Gotta be even younger, zanier, friendlier!"

:decline:

Last edited:

A horse of course

Wow, thanks for posting this. I wasn't excited about watching 7 minutes of self-congratulation so I skipped this preview but this is important information.

Here are the concept art designs ALG is talking about:

These characters are GORGEOUS in comparison to what we see in the actual trailers. They have a sense of humor but, critically, take themselves seriously. I particularly like the original Eli, a disdainful guy who wears a tux because he's classy, not clownish. The in-game characters seem like Muppets by comparison.

They still look pretty shit imo. They just look worse in-game. The ottermode twink asian looks like something that could've been in earlier gnomes though.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I want to remind people that Voliton's community manager stepped down May 10th of this year. Whoever is sending out those sassy anti-consumer tweets is a new hire or a fill in. I'm sure that will have interesting consequences down the road...

He died of cancer. I posted that a few pages back.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel like this team lacks a brute archetype like Oleg. These guys don't look threatening for supposed criminals, at all.

Zeem

Learned
I feel like this team lacks a brute archetype like Oleg. These guys don't look threatening for supposed criminals, at all.
Oleg was the best new addition of SR3. Although his character archetype (a stoic intellectual the size of a medium mountain) is anathema to soy chuggers, I presume.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh. I liked Oleg, but he's hardly iconic to the series. He appeared in one game and wasn't even a member of the Saints, just an associate.*

The Saints never had a "Hulk" archetype in their ranks - really they were never about skill, strength, brains, or anything else except a reckless disregard for consequences and the will to do anything, no matter how weird or dangerous.

*EDIT: Fake News - see JamesDixon's correction below.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Meh. I liked Oleg, but he's hardly iconic to the series. He appeared in one game and wasn't even a member of the Saints, just an associate.

The Saints never had a "Hulk" archetype in their ranks - really they were never about skill, strength, brains, or anything else except a reckless disregard for consequences and the will to do anything, no matter how weird or dangerous.

He joined the Saints after being rescued by them and helped destroy the Syndicate. He appeared in Saints Row the Third, Saints Row IV, and Saints Row Gat out of Hell. If you include Agents of Mayhem then he's in four Saints games.

https://www.giantbomb.com/oleg-kirrlov/3005-19088/

Ravielsk

Magister
KHOsbc1.jpg

Oh hey, pure contempt for your audience. That's not new.

I wonder when SJW's will realize that they are creating their own worst enemies?

It's always funny seeing some company trying to do sassy Wendy's tweets and it just completely backfire. The secret to that marketing strategy that seems to escape so many other companies is you need the majority of people on your side. In this case the majority of people seem to hate the new Saints and think they look fucking lame and corny.

There's also no way they get the "knee jerk reaction" here. If they thought this reaction was coming their way there's no way that reveal trailer or that trailer today with a little look at gameplay happens like they did happen. Watching that trailer today you can definitely tell they thought people would just love these news characters given how much foucsed the gameplay trailer gives them, and how much they talk up looking to a new generation of hires on it....which now just comes off as finger pointing.

It also helps not being full of shit when trying to be sassy. Pointing out there is no such thing a natural burger shape when someone bitches about the square ones is both funny and factually correct. "Doing a reboot like no one has ever done a reboot before" is just word salad that literary means nothing, it just makes you look stupid.

Zeem

Learned
Is the original worth playing?
SR1 is X360 exclusive and from I've seen is just a low-budget GTA clone. SR2 has a shit port, but it still generally works on PC, and the open world is really nice with shitloads of side activities and secret areas. Has some genuinely great dramatic moments as well. SR3 and beyond are decline.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

I never played S1 due to it being a Xcuck3shitty exclusive. I enjoyed S2-S4 and took them for what they were. A non-serious gangland shooter in an open world. The storylines were good. In S2 you start from nothing and build up your empire. S3 continues from S2's story, but this time the Saints are a world phenomena with clothing, energy drinks, and other commercial products being sold. The Saints are a massive corporation now and the boss, Shaundi, Pierce, and Gat are relocated to a different town after a failed negotiation attempt by the Syndicate. S4 was when aliens invaded and trapped the Saints in a virtual world. I never played Gat out of Hell.

Terra

Cipher
It's worth a single playthrough for the backstory & characters imo, not gonna sugar coat it; it'll feel rough around the edges, but it's not bad for a first attempt in the genre. I had fun with it but SR2 was better in pretty much every regard, though SR2 will be elevated by playing through SR1 first, in particular Dex, Lin & Julius roles. Though its been many years since I played it so my memory on it is hazy. Can only play a male protag (funny little shoutout to it if you're a female in SR2) and they are a silent protag during SR1 too, so it's a different feel to later games in that regard.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh hey, pure contempt for your audience. That's not new.
I wonder when SJW's will realize that they are creating their own worst enemies?
Meh - when a dev on a title the Codex likes sticks by their guns and says "We're not changing shit", they're awesome heroes. Because we don't like the style of this title, when they stick by their guns and say "We're not changing shit," they're weaklings and cowards.

Man, your choice if you wanna defend this crap that looks like a Watch Dogs 2 DLC but with just half the budget.

However, I would trust my money more with Bernie Madoff than with DeepSilver at this point.

Zombra

Patron
Man, your choice if you wanna defend this crap that looks like a Watch Dogs 2 DLC but with just half the budget.
Note I'm not defending anything, just pointing out the double standard here. They don't have to be right for the Codex to be wrong :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom