Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A rpg game based on old cabalist magic thome

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do you think you're capable of making an RPG when you call them "RPG games"?

It is game idea. If it can take 20 years to develop, where is the problem? We have got plenty of time.

You mean it is game game idea.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Guys, he convinced me, I'm now officially joining his team. In the same capacity as he, so I won't be doing anything. Twenty years from now I expect millions, OP. Let's GOOOOOOO!!!

I work in video games and I have from time to time people telling me about their genius ideas; usually they belong to one of those categories :
- my-job-is-so-cool-it-needs-a-dedicated-video-game - also don't gamify anything in it please that's NOT what a Real Estate agent is really doing
With the advent of PC building simulator and Farming Simulator and what have you, this might actually be a decent idea nowadays.

laclongquan

Arcane
Spending 20 years making a game is not impossible. Unreal World could stand to be a shining example of that class.

I mean, I love Unreal World, playing to death and discovering bug (item number overfull in a cell) and all... But playing as a bronze age Finn among fjords is such a special niche it damn well require developer's obession to do a game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With the advent of PC building simulator and Farming Simulator and what have you, this might actually be a decent idea nowadays.

At the rate things are going, we'll see "Game Development Simulator" pop up on Steam a couple of years from now, which is basically just a Unity level editor with a handful of assets and a mechanic where you can watch an NPC play your game within the game to pretend that you just made a game and released it.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
The shortest effective Name of God is the Tetragrammaton. This was the Name recorded in the Bible, the one the High Priests of Israel would speak in the Temple of Solomon. The rabbis said it was so holy that God would smite any impure person who said it. Some of them went on wild flights of raptures about the holiness of this Name, said it was the Shem haMephorash, the holiest Name of all.

In these more enlightened times, we know better. We call it the Mortal Name, and it just so happens to be a Name whose power is to kill the speaker. As the shortest Name, it kept working long after the flow of divine light into the universe had dropped to a trickle; there were records of men dying by speaking the Mortal Name as late as Jesus’ time. If the kabbalists had just said “Yup, Names do lots of things, this one kills whoever says it,” then there would have been no problem, but this was back when Rabbi Shimon was working on the Zohar and the kabbalists were still underground, sometimes literally. So instead everybody assumed a Name powerful enough that God smote anyone who said it must have been very important, and people kept trying to say it to prove their holiness and kept dying.

They worked out this whole horrible system. On Yom Kippur, the High Priest would go into the Holy of Holies in the Temple, place his hands upon the Ark of the Covenant, and speak the Tetragrammaton. The theory was that if the holiest person went into the holiest place on the holiest day and touched the holiest thing, maybe that would be enough holiness to speak the Tetragrammaton and live to tell about it. Did it work? The Bible is silent on the subject, but Rabbi Klass of Brooklyn points out that during the 420 years of the Second Temple, there were three hundred different High Priests, even though each High Priest was supposed to serve for life. Clearly, High Priests of Israel had the sorts of life expectancies usually associated with black guys in horror movies. Also, some medieval manuscripts mention that the High Priest would have a rope tied around his leg at the time, to make it easier for his flock to drag his body out after he died.

The Jews naturally got a little bit spooked about the Tetragrammaton after a few centuries of this sort of thing, and the rabbis decreed that any time you needed to use the Tetragrammaton, you should instead substitute the totally different word “A—-i”. And then when you were going to say “A—-i” you should substitute that with “HaShem”, so as to stay two semantic steps away from the Tetragrammaton at all times. If they could have, they would have demanded that “HaShem” be replaced with something else too, except that “HaShem” literally just meant “the Name” and so was already maximally vague.

Is this passage from "Unsong" or another source?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The shortest effective Name of God is the Tetragrammaton. This was the Name recorded in the Bible, the one the High Priests of Israel would speak in the Temple of Solomon. The rabbis said it was so holy that God would smite any impure person who said it. Some of them went on wild flights of raptures about the holiness of this Name, said it was the Shem haMephorash, the holiest Name of all.

In these more enlightened times, we know better. We call it the Mortal Name, and it just so happens to be a Name whose power is to kill the speaker. As the shortest Name, it kept working long after the flow of divine light into the universe had dropped to a trickle; there were records of men dying by speaking the Mortal Name as late as Jesus’ time. If the kabbalists had just said “Yup, Names do lots of things, this one kills whoever says it,” then there would have been no problem, but this was back when Rabbi Shimon was working on the Zohar and the kabbalists were still underground, sometimes literally. So instead everybody assumed a Name powerful enough that God smote anyone who said it must have been very important, and people kept trying to say it to prove their holiness and kept dying.

They worked out this whole horrible system. On Yom Kippur, the High Priest would go into the Holy of Holies in the Temple, place his hands upon the Ark of the Covenant, and speak the Tetragrammaton. The theory was that if the holiest person went into the holiest place on the holiest day and touched the holiest thing, maybe that would be enough holiness to speak the Tetragrammaton and live to tell about it. Did it work? The Bible is silent on the subject, but Rabbi Klass of Brooklyn points out that during the 420 years of the Second Temple, there were three hundred different High Priests, even though each High Priest was supposed to serve for life. Clearly, High Priests of Israel had the sorts of life expectancies usually associated with black guys in horror movies. Also, some medieval manuscripts mention that the High Priest would have a rope tied around his leg at the time, to make it easier for his flock to drag his body out after he died.

The Jews naturally got a little bit spooked about the Tetragrammaton after a few centuries of this sort of thing, and the rabbis decreed that any time you needed to use the Tetragrammaton, you should instead substitute the totally different word “A—-i”. And then when you were going to say “A—-i” you should substitute that with “HaShem”, so as to stay two semantic steps away from the Tetragrammaton at all times. If they could have, they would have demanded that “HaShem” be replaced with something else too, except that “HaShem” literally just meant “the Name” and so was already maximally vague.

Is this passage from "Unsong" or another source?
https://gyazo.com/a1747d38bf94414bf208318f66231b71

Another snippet >

The Use of the Twofold Key with Letter "A"

A - A It was already mentioned in connection with the description of the single key that letter "A" is analogous to the air principle and thus to reason and intellect in all their phases. Consequently, when applying the twofold key in the mental sphere, the "A-A" will have a particular strong influence on the intellect, no matter whether used inductively or deductively, either for oneself or for someone else. The formula magician will make use of the double letter "A-A" if he wishes or intends to conjure up reminiscences, to enlighten the intellect, to strengthen memory or to arouse other intellectual faculties.

A - B If pronounced quabbalistically, these two letters will cure, by the help of the electromagnetic fluid, mental diseases, remove depression, fear, etc. In this case, the formula magician need not imagine the electromagnetic fluid, for it will work automatically and indirectly by means of the three-sense concentration resulted from the quabbalistic utterance. By the help of these two letters, the formula magician is also in a position to exert a healing influence on his own or on someone else's chest region and to treat any pectoral complaint quabbalistically from the mental plane, particularly in such cases where the causes are mental ones, as for instance shortness of breath caused by states of anxiety, etc..

A - C By the help of these tow letters -- pronounced quabbalistically, the quabbalist is able to embody at will, any idea, virtue, etc., either in a fluid or a solid form of whatever kind, in a similar way as with a fluid condenser. In this state of development, the quabbalist does not need any recipes for the fabrication of fluid condensers, since he is now able to charge, by quabbalah, any object, whether solid or fluid, with the desired virtue.

A - D Uttered in a quabbalistic manner, these two letters particularly strengthen the consciousness of self and the whole mental matrix, i.e., its radiation, and are used by the formula magician especially in case he wants to work over great distances, i.e., telepathically. The faculty of working over distances is particularly strengthened in the mental body by this formula.

A - E This formula makes a transfer of consciousness easier. At the same time it makes possible for the transferred consciousness to absorb bright and true impressions and to transfer these to normal consciousness.

A - F The letters "A-F" applied quabbalistically will remove any disharmony, especially with regard to the intellect and will, in particular, strengthen the four basic qualities of the spirit. This formula is therefore usually used quabbalistically in those cases, where great intellectual exertion is involved, and where will-power, intellect and feeling are overtired by this exertion. The three basic qualities: will-power, intellect and feeling are particularly strengthened and harmonized by this letter combination so that any fatigue will vanish.

A - G Wherever an atmosphere of peace, tranquillity and harmony is to take place, these two letters will be applied by the twofold key. Inductively used for oneself, this formula will bring the benediction of Divine Providence. If anywhere forgiveness (remission) is to be achieved for someone else, this will be done by the help of these two letters. Furthermore, this letter combination will bring on the immediate calming down of any excitation of the human mind.

A - H The influence of divine intuition, on oneself and on others, will be attained by this key. In particular, immature men that think themselves surrounded by enemies and are therefore oppressed and haunted, may be cured and freed by the quabbalistic application of these two letters. Also, people who believe that they are being wronged may be enlightened by this key so that they will come to the conclusion that everything that is done is done justly.

A - Ch This letter combination is a special formula by the help of which one's memory may be strengthened considerably, long forgotten reminisces may be recalled to mind, thoughts and ideas returned to consciousness, and many other things. Applied inductively, i.e., for oneself, this key possesses the power to recall to the formula magician's mind reminisces of his former incarnation as intensively as if he had experienced them yesterday. A - I This key is especially suitable to arouse a man's conscience. It is applicable in all cases of unjustified persecution, or where reckless human beings and unscrupulous actions are involved. Applied to oneself, this formula will awaken high inspiration and genuine intuition.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Just play Ultima, you make spells combining runes.

All he needs is a bit of help and we're all millionaires, don't you get it!?
Damn, I've got no money. Is it cool if I offer to work for free instead?

Shaki

Arbiter
I'll be honest, it sounds retarded, but Disco Elysium sounded even more retarded, yet still was a commercial success somehow. Apparently in current times, percentage of people affected by brain necrosis is high enough that anyone can produce any steaming pile of shit "RPG" and sell millions of copies, it just needs to be "unique and quirky" enough - your idea seems to fit the criteria. Just make your cabalistic magic system only usable through dialogues, as combat gameplay is a big nono for this crowd, and your protagonist should be a black lesbian transgender witch on a mission to overthrow the Christian white male patriarchy. In a way to include very sophisticated and artful commentary on the current world issues, the final boss should be an orange man, which can be defeated only by the ultimate spell crafted by combinging the most powerful of cabalistic letters - LGBTQ

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I mean, this is kind of like what Dungeon Master does, but the thing is, these systems need to function somewhat logically. The player needs to be able to figure out which symbols to use in order to cast a spell. So if you have a problem, you select this symbol for power, that symbol for element, and a final one for target. Dungeon Master has limitations, but it also allows the player to figure out new spells the game doesn't necessarily tell him about if he experiments.

Just curious, how would you construct a Fireball with this system?
All letters based on fire element can be fireball like. There is also tone associated with each letter so doing magic can be like composing music. There is also color associated with each letter. Then there are combinations of diferent letters and how many times you say each letter. Also you can have electro ( health ) ~ magnetic ( mana ) system as a side note.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

You dont want to make a game, OP. From all appearance, you want to write shits up~ It's not a bad pastime, but you gotta know what you actually want to do.

The nearest thing to a game-making activity that suit what you wrote would be... mod making. Find Skyrim (widest mod audience ever). Get to learn how to mod spell. Then make your spell mod.

It's the easiest route for you: learn to make a mod from existing toolset is a hundred times easier than make a game from scratch.

You also can do it alone, which is good, because you dont seem to be EQ-capable of cajoling others to work with you. Not a sneer, because I am the same type~ Doing it alone is best.

+++++++++++
why do you think going into this level of detail is fun gameplay-wise?

I see fun in different combinations of letters and making them into sequences with sound and color and then the evokation and you can have spell effect animation happen. These combination letters are just core idea. In my vision you would use different paraphernalia and ingredients for your spells. Like magic circle, inscense etc. Im only concepting at this stage so it can be different later.

Lurker47

Savant
Hello. I had an idea to make a game about using old cabalistic magic, based on book I found. The book is written by european mage and cabalist of past. I will post details.The core idea is, there are letters in alphabet and each contributes to some kind of spell. Each letter has color and certain oscilation. It is possible to use single letters, or combinations for more advanced spells. Each combination has certain effect, which is described in the book in detail. Now I would need a team of dedicated people to work on this, although I might be able to do it on my own with suitable production software. Please share your ideas in the thread.

here is an example >

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
[Tone: G... Color: light blue... Element: Air... #: 1... Organ: Lungs, breasts...]

Akasa:In the akasa principle, "A" symbolizes the highest wisdom and the highest illumination that may ever be lavished on a human being. At the same time, it represents the purity of all ideas in all forms of existence.

Mental: In the mental plane, the "A" represents, as a fundamental feature, the enlightened mind. All the parallels that may be drawn to the enlightened mind such as reasoning, perception, the cognition of the most profound truths, highest knowledge, high intelligence, the arousing of all intellectual faculties, etc., are expressed, in the mental world, by the "A" and its oscillation.

Astral: All talents, qualities and abilities that are subject to the air principle, e.g., musical gift, eloquence, poetic talent, &c., may be evoked in the astral kingdom by the use of letter "A". In respect to the occult faculties there are, apart from others, clairvoyance, clairaudience, the art of levitation, the control of the air element and its beings, i.e., in the kingdom of the elements as well as in the astral kingdom; further, the control of all powers analogous to the air principle and occurring in the astral world. Also the language of symbols and its command and power may be attained by letter "A".

Material: In the material world, the control of the air principle and all its analogies may be achieved by letter "A", no matter whether it is the control of the air spirits or the command of storms, &c. By the quabbalistic utterance of letter "A", a doctor or non-medical practitioner may successfully treat any chest trouble.
I thought Nordic Runes would be the obvious parallel to this, but the kabbalah angle is more interesting. However, I suggest the classic fantasy solution- why not both?

And, yeah, even if the project doesn't come around, it's still fun to talk about. You can call me Idea Guy adjacent™.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nordic rune would be more marketable than Caballa.

I mean, as a serious bookworm, then I barely know its name. Any other gamers who are not serious bookworm would never know what it is.

But they would knokw "nordic runes". Well, "nordic", at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom