Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Finally got a Tome of the Infinite and it's fairly grody. Random infinite card advantage without the disadvantage of actually pulling from your deck is a bit fucky, not to mention randomly pulling Swords to Ploughshares out of your ass repeatedly is monstrous. Not sure it's really good enough for historic constructed play but I bet it'll stink up historic brawl something fierce.

Also up to 3 Freyalise, 3 seasoned pyro, 3 archmage charm, 3 Svyelun. Haven't capped out on anything but for roughly 25,000 spent I'm nearing playsets on some general heavy hitters. Or potential heavy hitters at least. It's a little academic since I haven't played historic in a while and for brawl I'm probably not too bad right now though it's hard to tell because WotC in their infinite wisdom broke up a lot of the cards by their individual sets, so while I can look up J21 for Jumpstart Historic Horizons and MH1 and MH2 for Modern Horizons 1 and 2 cards in it, there are still oddball cards belonging to others that are probably falling through the cracks.

Just for curiosity, currently I'm missing (As in zero copies, wanting at least one for brawl) in J21: Benalish partisan, Thalia's lieutenant, blade splicer, Teyo aegis adept, Davriel soul broker, Marrow-Gnawer, dark salvation, parallel lives.
MH1: Cordial vampire, nether spirit, Yawgmoth Thran physician, goblin engineer, Pashalik Mons, spiteful sliver, Ayula queen among bears, reap the past.
MH2: Wonder, thought monitor, necrogoyf, sylvan anthem, priest of fell rites, Chainer nightmare adept, Zabaz the glimmerwasp.
So 23 rares/mythics I haven't got a single of yet assuming I'm not missing oddballs from other sets (And I know there are some Amonkhet cards in there). Not too bad I guess, though theoretically the upcoming Innistrad set should be a decent one to go fairly heavy on if for no other reason than it'll be the first set to survive into 2023 rotation which means going ham on Jumpstart might be a bummer.

Doktor Best

Arcane
mtggoldfish list is wrong, also bloated with uncommons lol. There are spreadsheets made by autists that are much better. You can cross reference them with other autists who even rated which packs are best to grab brand new mythics/rare ratio wise

Can you hook me up with a link? Been searching the webs but haven't been lucky. All the articles are endless walls of text about what author thinks of cool card etc. I just want a comprehensive list on what themepack contains which rares/mythics.

The MTGgoldfish list is useless as you said because those retards added commons and uncommons.

Edit: found this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HA6xyAT_6oC0lQaM5F1TcHOXf8/edit#gid=841576092

not complete but good enough for now in order to avoid the hearthstone crap.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
after spending like 30k gold im close to done actually. Will probably stop at 40k mark. Got nearly 1x of everything i wanted, also 4x davriel and harmonic prodigy for some historic fun. Wasnt lucky to obtain 4x of squirrels

Also had some fun with slivers in h brawl but broken matchmaking(hello winnota 99% of the time) kind of ruins it

Oh god. Winning a game against someone running squirrel zombies. Dude had like 9 9/9 squirrels out and a bunch of zombies and everything, I was chumping and barely holding on with scavenger bears. Cycling through my deck desperately trying to find burn or pump spells since I was getting in for 2 a turn with the phoenix. Eventually came down to opponent swinging out with the team. Declared blockers, still was going to take more than enough for lethal. He showboats and pumps endling for even more damage. And then with ONE RED MANA OPEN AND TWO CARDS IN HAND I LIGHTNING AXE HIS ENDLING, TRIGGERING HIS ZOMBIE THAT DRAINS HIM FOR 1 AND DRAWS A CARD FOR EVERY OTHER ZOMBIE DEATH, KILLING HIM SINCE HE WAS AT 1. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH

:bounce:

Doesn't come across well in text but tearing through probably 8 cards with that Eldraine merchant over many turns to finally get an answer was nice.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
aaaand im done after 40k as i said. Only missing nettlecyst from single copies of stuff that i wanted to have

Also got 4x sarkhan and 4x vampire. Getting 4x copies of slivers and squirrels would be nice but im not that crazy

What the goddamn. If you have a Grumgully in play you can sacrifice a putrid goblin to a skirk an infinite number of times because the +1/+1 from Grumgully overrides the -1/-1 from persist? Must be one of those arcane MTG rules, because I'd figure +1/+1 counters were a separate thing from -1/-1 counters rather than canceling one another out. Like the end result might be +0/+0 but for cards that care about the existence of counters (Persist, proliferate, etc) I'd assume they still TECHNICALLY exist. Interesting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
guyz, you should try some shaman tribal fun. Collected company with grul shaman pays for itself with harmonic prodigy on board. Whole thing isnt very consistent, but bad draws aside can beat elves

Might finally be nearing the end of my Jumpstarting. Got a playset of managorger phoenix, Freyalise, ranger-captain of Eos, archmage's charm, seasoned pyromancer, Svyelun of sea and sky, sliver hive, and harmonic prodigy.
Wouldn't mind more copies of a fair few other cards but some of them are just really difficult to get, like sylvan anthem. That only has a 20% chance to appear in a single packet, for example. Also wouldn't mind more copies of cordial vampire, master of the pearl trident (Only ended up with one despite 4 Syvelun since that's another low chance drop like sylvan anthem), some of the white weenie human cards like Thalia's lieutenant, and maybe Yawgmoth but the deeper I go into Jumpstart the more likely I'm going to hit duplicate rares and mythics and the gem payout's so shit that'd really suck. Might be at the point where I should just use wildcards to fill in gaps if they're needed for decks since I've got a good spread of the cards, in fact I may end up blowing a stack of gold buying boosters for Innistrad just to crack and fill up on more wildcards since pack cracking pays out wildcards better than drafting. Still not sure yet.

guyz, you should try some shaman tribal fun. Collected company with grul shaman pays for itself with harmonic prodigy on board. Whole thing isnt very consistent, but bad draws aside can beat elves
Jesus. First time I tried doing that and I raped an elf. I did have a good draw fortunately (Double prodigy in opening hand and then a couple visionaries to draw 6 which led to explosive emissary into garbage into coco into double rage forger) but the elf's draw wasn't shabby either. The old "I only have 3 land but I've got 40 power on the board across 10 bodies" sorta deal. I'm debating over if I should run any Atarka's command or not and I'm leaning toward no, sorta feels like coco's the only non-creature you want. Poor unplayed conspiracy theorist even has a home since you can use him to churn through your deck looking for key cards, just a shame his ability triggers on attack since it'd be a good mana dump if you get a bunch from emissary.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
with godly hand, you can destroy 2 enemy lands on turn 3 with shamans. Coco is fine but hitting land destroying shaman with it hurts

with godly hand, you can destroy 2 enemy lands on turn 3 with shamans. Coco is fine but hitting land destroying shaman with it hurts
Was thinking about running him but I dunno, 4 mana for a 2/1 and blow up land is nice but given it's historic there are cheap as fuck sweepers and I wonder if I wouldn't be better just going for the beats. Delina for example is potentially a nice 4 drop since she's a shaman and each prodigy should give you another roll of her abilioty which may trigger additional rolls anyway if you get 15+. And duplicating rage forgers with Delina could be intense, visionaries to draw cards, etc, but I just dunno if I wanna run anything else at 4 mana other than coco.

Sadly fauna shaman would be a good card too but I will forever live with the terrible mistake of not grabbing historic anthology 1.

And a late edit since I don't feel like making another post: This high-power historic is fairly fun though, I gotta say. There are enough aggressive decks that are viable and good that it isn't just durdly control vs control or bust. New phoenix decks look fun, (Running managorger with arclight, then using the new looting card as well as some madness cards and some run that 1/1 disciple with delirium) shaman tribal is fun, haven't tried elves but I probably should at some point since I snagged a playset of Freyalise, merfolk looks viable. Even going control is reasonable with archmage's charm and lightning helix and shit. Typically thought I liked low-power Magic the best and I'd say I still do, but this high power stuff's almost better for relaxing since it feels like there's often less thought in it especially if you're playing a high power aggro deck and just want to glaze over and stare at cards.

Hell, even been having fun with historic brawl on occasion. Feels like 9 out of 10 opponents are running Nicol Bolas dragon god as their commander but even then you just wait until they're tapped out and play Beledros and then drain 20 life from yourself for infinite mana. At some point I'll have to try to figure out how to make more aggressive decks more viable in historic brawl or if it's even all that possible. Feels like you're heavily incentivized to either be running counters/removal or running a bunch of ramp so you can play bomb after bomb.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hell, even been having fun with historic brawl on occasion. Feels like 9 out of 10 opponents are running Nicol Bolas dragon god as their commander but even then you just wait until they're tapped out and play Beledros and then drain 20 life from yourself for infinite mana. At some point I'll have to try to figure out how to make more aggressive decks more viable in historic brawl or if it's even all that possible. Feels like you're heavily incentivized to either be running counters/removal or running a bunch of ramp so you can play bomb after bomb.
h brawl matchmaking is busted, hopefully will be fixed with today update

haven't tried elves but I probably should at some point since I snagged a playset of Freyalise
elves are probably most popular deck in historic right now

h brawl matchmaking is busted, hopefully will be fixed with today update
Didn't know it was busted, but sadly it looks like the update fucked up Jumpstart matchmaking. Normally would get a match in 5 seconds or less, now I'm getting multiple queues over 40 seconds. No idea when the patch went live so I'll just hope that I happened to catch it the minute it did so hardly anyone's updated yet.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
or perhaps people bail as they got from jumpstart what they wanted. This time around is fairly easy to be mythic complete, while rare completion is nearly impossible

or perhaps people bail as they got from jumpstart what they wanted. This time around is fairly easy to be mythic complete, while rare completion is nearly impossible
Maybe. Feels like more of these cards will show up in historic play than the last Jumpstart though so I'd figure people would be mining it more, but then again there could be less interest in historic and the previous Jumpstart was better for getting standard cards since you could pick up a lot of the walkers from it. This Jumpstart's fairly shit for adding standard cards, though I have pulled a few of those valkyries which is nice.

after update mythic icrs are no longer dupe protected
WAT. I didn't even know mythic ICRs WERE dupe protected. That's a damn shame.

Also: Code PARCELMYR for a mixed sack of stuff. Ended up with 2k gold, 2k XP, a mythic, 2 rares, and 2 Japanese mythical archive styles.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought some new commander decks yesterday to start brainstorming on when I have time of course.

I also played a Mystery booster draft which was one of the most fun I've had before in a draft. You get random cards from a ton of different sets and weird play test cards with funky abilities.

I wonder if Arena has any plans to bring the mystery draft on board. I would definitely draft a lot more if that was an option.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
brawl matchmaking is still broken. Its very hard to find proper game to have fun, in some occasions its 30 mins of conceding against golos and such.

Also up to 3 Freyalise, 3 seasoned pyro, 3 archmage charm, 3 Svyelun. Haven't capped out on anything but for roughly 25,000 spent
I'm probably around 70,000 spent now and capped out on a lot of good shit. Still some I'd like more of but I've reached the point where I end up picking boobie packs just to avoid getting dupes of good shit so I'll have to make do. JHH was/is good shit, lotta cool cards and I had fun with the format itself and historic's got a lot of fun crazy shit in it. Back to hoarding gold and gems until Innistrad has cheap drafts, assuming I end up liking playing limited in it and/or feel like dumping resources on it. So far Ikoria's the only set (Other than the remastered sets, which I probably would play some if they did cheap drafts for them) I've shunned on MTGA and didn't buy any packs/play any limited (Other than a few to check it out) since I wasn't wild about limited or most of the cards in the set, haven't looked at the cards for Innistrad yet so lord only knows if I'll feel that way about it. I did see the land cycle for it doesn't feel that thrilling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom