Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Another question if i may. Is there any way to assay an item before u purchase it?
I don't think so (again, similar to Wiz6/7).
Just use a save/load.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
IF anybody programs in Unity, you should see this asset. It's really useful. It is also a great tutorial on the power of scriptable objects. It was after I bought this that I had my revelation of how to write the core of the RPG Engine to make it infinitely flexible. The ease with which new functionality can be added to any of the modules is mind-boggling. Even people who have been programming a long time in C# are likely to have their minds expanded once they understand how these work.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...flexible-game-modules-to-save-you-time-192960

I was thinking about this sort of thing in 1994 working on Grimoire but could not imagine how to implement it easily in C++. The thing is to stop thinking of data structures and start to think of everything as serialized dictionaries of data that can even be modified at run-time. Amongst other things, the savegame becomes trivial.

Did you ever get to the bottom of that evil hacker who introduced bugs into your steam download with his save files, Cleveland Mark Blakemore ?

I was told by a reliable source this game would never be sold at a discount as well.

All kidding aside, did this ever turn out any good? I'm not gonna just throw away 2.50 you know? But I did enjoy wizardry 7.

Arthandas

Liturgist
How does the random encounter frequency setting impact the game? Will I be overleveled with high frequency and underleveled with low?
What about no random encounters? Won't it starve the party of exp?

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
This setting can be adjusted while playing. So if you find you are falling behind, you can turn up the encounter rate in an area to catch up on experience. I found the "Frequent" setting to be appropriate for the content, but I enjoyed Grimoire's combat.

Arthandas

Liturgist
This setting can be adjusted while playing. So if you find you are falling behind, you can turn up the encounter rate in an area to catch up on experience.
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
How does the random encounter frequency setting impact the game? Will I be overleveled with high frequency and underleveled with low?
What about no random encounters? Won't it starve the party of exp?
There are always some encounters, even with "None?" setting. Back in the time, "none" (without question mark) setting removed all random encounters. It was a key for felipepepe for finishing Grimoire in 40 or 60 hours, for example. Can't remember exact number now.
Just adjust a frequency on the fly. Most of the time I had a plenty encounters, but toned them down for travelling through the explored areas.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Did you ever get to the bottom of that evil hacker who introduced bugs into your steam download with his save files, Cleveland Mark Blakemore ?

I was told by a reliable source this game would never be sold at a discount as well.

All kidding aside, did this ever turn out any good? I'm not gonna just throw away 2.50 you know? But I did enjoy wizardry 7.

[BLOCKED] for being an oxygen stealer.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
What would be better to play for the first time, Wiz 7 or Grimwah?
Wizardry 6 for the best results, but Wiz7 is a good choice too.

I agree. The best pantheon for Wizardry would be to play Bane of the Cosmic Forge, then Crusaders of the Dark Savant and finally Grimoire. You can't appreciate any of them without perspective on the other two. David Bradley took Wizardry and turned it into something really special. I copied W7 because I think it is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I wanted Grimoire to be able to stand on its own and yet also still be a spiritual successor to these two.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What would be better to play for the first time, Wiz 7 or Grimwah?
Wizardry 6 for the best results, but Wiz7 is a good choice too.

I agree. The best pantheon for Wizardry would be to play Bane of the Cosmic Forge, then Crusaders of the Dark Savant and finally Grimoire. You can't appreciate any of them without perspective on the other two. David Bradley took Wizardry and turned it into something really special. I copied W7 because I think it is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I wanted Grimoire to be able to stand on its own and yet also still be a spiritual successor to these two.
FWIW Steam is full of people saying Wiz7 was their favorite until Grimoire which improves on Wiz7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom