Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 5

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah only one row. I was spreading myself a bit thin since I was investing heavily in many armies and heavy protection for my keeps. I tried to play differently and avoided making one doomstack and opted for many weaker armies. For the most part it was OK until the enemy got some doomstacks of their own going and then it was only a matter of time before they'd take me down.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Late game Baron is kinda... shafted. Just had a game as Warlock where my 90 unit army wiped a 400 unit Baron stack. With 0 losses. 2nd tier summons at most, nothing too fancy. Two rows of magma men, firebirds, stormbirds, smoke men. Then mages.

AI can throw 100 knights at me, they get buck broken, since the magma men won't melt like other troops do. And since they have so much fodder, their few mages and archers can't effectively support the expensive troops at the front.

Warlock is p. much the ideal CoE faction. They have it all. Troop diversity, terraforming, crafting, motivation to visit the planes... Maybe they are a bit generic, but being able to deal with any enemy (if you have the gems) makes up for that.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Playing some Scourge Lord and their ant summons are ridiculous. The tier 2 ritual can summon an ant queen that runs around and eventually creates an ant colony. This colony then continually generates massive amounts of scourge ants of various sizes which are basically just fire ants. These ants are vicious with their acid beams and you get whole armies of them for free.

How is it playing as the Kobold King? Or for that matter the other new factions? I'm still on CoE4. Will I forget about it if I get 5 just like I forgot about 3 when I got 4?

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The Kobold King is interesting... For the elder dragon i spent 200 gems to learn the ritual and then 50 gems and 200 kobolds to summon it. Stupid retard went flying over the sea next turn and drowned. Their biggest advantage I think are the constantly spawning free troops. If you build a stronghold you also spawn the warrior and archer type and can pay to recruit their strongest units. They can wield some pretty strong mages as well.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will I forget about it if I get 5 just like I forgot about 3 when I got 4?

That's what happened to me, so probably. It's more or less the same game with some extras and new factions, some QoL upgrades, and new features, including suicidal dragons (although I thought that had been fixed) and the odd antpocalypse

RQ2VrlM.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Late game Baron is kinda... shafted. Just had a game as Warlock where my 90 unit army wiped a 400 unit Baron stack. With 0 losses. 2nd tier summons at most, nothing too fancy. Two rows of magma men
That's fancy. It's OP unit.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Finished my Scourge Lord game. Cool unique mechanics but the summon lists feel a bit bland. So many ants and a bunch of big chunguses at tier 3. Would be cooler if it was more Ubar flavored. When you level up your bless a bit and get regen, hp, protection and resists your recruitable sellsouls and summoned Myrmycelons become absolute units. Found a scroll and sent my scourge king to hell and rolled over the demon lords.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm always amused by how flexible the term 'victory' can be in this series. Started up a game of High Cultists yesterday, summoned a bunch of Starspawn and used them to divine the locations of enemy armies and spawn Greater Horrors en masse on top of them. Yeah, I crushed the enemy armies. But now Elysium is full of horrors who can destroy me as well. "Whoops".
:troll:

Finished my Scourge Lord game. Cool unique mechanics but the summon lists feel a bit bland. So many ants and a bunch of big chunguses at tier 3. Would be cooler if it was more Ubar flavored. When you level up your bless a bit and get regen, hp, protection and resists your recruitable sellsouls and summoned Myrmycelons become absolute units. Found a scroll and sent my scourge king to hell and rolled over the demon lords.

I really don't think that summons are the main focus of Scourge Lords. They seem to be more of a unit based faction once you get the ball rolling with the blessings.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I really don't think that summons are the main focus of Scourge Lords. They seem to be more of a unit based faction once you get the ball rolling with the blessings.
You can go either way. Mainly the faction is about mass producing life force. You can choose to prioritize the bless over summons but the sacreds are expensive and hard to mass. Your summons are very strong though. All going well you should have enough life force to pump up your bless and summon a bunch. Another thing you can do that I didn't think about is to mass produce scourge heralds and send out as a thug army.

Mortmal

Arcane

Scourge lord can get super powerful, you cna also turtle with them, the ant sumon is super useful. They are stupid and you cant direct them but they nest and it can quickly snowball giving you plenty of units to recruit those are better than heavy infantries and for free.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Yes. By the mid-game my armies were mostly ants. Very tough and very killy and you get way too many of them for free.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to like the Scourge Lord, but it is so obviously a cringe political commentary. Pretty strong summons, though, and who doesn't like eliminating those stupid nature-spawning trees with the pillars.

Has anyone figured out a good way to explore all the planes? How are you guys playing, just against the AI? I played a few rounds against the AI, felt like CoE4 with more content, and now I have a mod where the AI is just a statue.

Currently I'm playing as the Aztecs. I selected the option for more powerful Indies and I've been peeping around. Hades opened a gate but I killed them all and shut it, now the demons are acting up. One of my gods died and returned to some other astral plane, but I haven't figure out a way there yet.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I want to like the Scourge Lord, but it is so obviously a cringe political commentary
???

I read it as being some cringe liberal critique of Trump and pals. All of the unit descriptions read like some whiny American crying about him.
Most descriptions in the game are tongue in cheek and written from the perspective of wizards at a magical academy conducting research. Many descriptions take the piss out of their subjects.

Mortmal

Arcane
I want to like the Scourge Lord, but it is so obviously a cringe political commentary
???

I read it as being some cringe liberal critique of Trump and pals. All of the unit descriptions read like some whiny American crying about him.

Dont read them like that at all, its like a faction out of old d&d mystara, the evil desert nomads with black magic. And one of the strongest in COE5 , no matter the era their mechanics works , end game sumons rng can screw you a little bit as only one of them is blessed and clearly superior , but in overral very stable. Possibly the strongest imho .

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
end game sumons rng can screw you a little bit as only one of them is blessed and clearly superior
Not quite. What I mapped out is:
1 Myrmycelon, 3x3 sacred - good
1 Apophis, 3x3 serpent, lv 2 dark magic, sacred - good
1d4 elemental, 3x3 ethereal, trample, AoE attack - good
1 dung beetle, 3x3, trample - ok
1 centipede, 2x2 - crap

Mortmal

Arcane
end game sumons rng can screw you a little bit as only one of them is blessed and clearly superior
Not quite. What I mapped out is:
1 Myrmycelon, 3x3 sacred - good
1 Apophis, 3x3 serpent, lv 2 dark magic, sacred - good
1d4 elemental, 3x3 ethereal, trample, AoE attack - good
1 dung beetle, 3x3, trample - ok
1 centipede, 2x2 - crap
Yes you are right , there's 2 sacred 750 summons . Boosted dark blessing is insane, give armor, regen , resistance , fear, and more probably . I think one of my unit got dread after that. Scourge wind elemental is good too but under that, beetle dies very fast so i consider them crap like centipede.
Add to that you get easily good casters who are blessed too.There's no battlefield nukers however .

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Has anyone figured out a good way to explore all the planes? How are you guys playing, just against the AI? I played a few rounds against the AI, felt like CoE4 with more content, and now I have a mod where the AI is just a statue.

What's the name of the mod? CoE 4 had the Bystander mod and I'm looking for something similar for 5. This sounds like it might do the job.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure how many people know of this, but I think I found a little hidden something about Witches.

One of my favourite classes, btw. as they are one of the few that actually allow you to defend your tiles. Take an apprentice, plop down a mushroom, you're golden - those things can stop almost any wildlife and deal serious harm to even smaller armies.

Anyway, when you do summon swamp guardians, you sometimes get a frog. "Terrible waste of mushrooms", you'll think.
But I just had that happen twice in a row. I did not get two frogs. Instead, the first frog got upgraded to a magic frog that can cast spells.
I wonder how much further this can go...

Edit:
Now the frog can summon snakes as an attack. :lol:

Edit 2:
And mushrooms.
And deal 20+ poison damage.

Edit 3:
It died. Had to happen. It had accumulated like 10 different abilities by then (all fairly good).
But it was still just a 3 hp frog with no defenses whatsoever.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Kobolds are conceptually pretty OK and they have some decent chaff units and mages, but they are pretty meh to play as. The dragons are pretty uninteresting and apart from one dragon taking over a cloud castle they didn't really do much else but fly around and kill neutral stacks of.. snakes and wolves. Big whoop. Think this class needs some more work to make them more exciting.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
They are pretty cool in some ways. You can make a relatively strong flying army which can travel over any terrain quickly, or go to the sky realm at any time. You can also hard counter some enemies with the correct kobold type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom