Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment 22 years and still nothing comes close to Planescape Torment

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I remember playing PS:T. It was alright as far as visual novels go -- a touch too emo for my taste, but alright. Might revisit if Björn Pankratz is persuaded to do a remaster of it.

Jackpot

Learned
I wonder if we'll ever get an RPG with good writing AND that didn't have a rushed development leading to the game becoming essentially unfinished and dropping off in quality towards the end.

Harthwain

Magister
You because you think that the mental illness theme is restricted exclusively to the skill system, proving that you have absolutely no clue how themes work.
Honestly, it doesn't really matter whether "mental illness theme" is tied to the skill system or not - the point still stands: there is no alleged ROMANTICISATION of it anywhere. Hell, we start the game as a naked, passed out drunk in the middle of a devastated room, after we've "screamed like a wild animal" and ripped off the music tape the night before. Oh, and your job is literally on the line. It surely must be a sign things are going the right way! This mental illness is not so bad!

And speaking of mental illness; did you know that when the player's morale reaches 0 Harry suffers a nervous breakdown and it's considered a "Game Over"? Apparently having the actual mental disorder is not a path to success according to the developers. You have to be able to pull through.

What makes Harry relatable for a lot of people? It is a midlife crissis. Guess what? It turns out that a midlife crissis "may produce feelings of intense depression, remorse, and high levels of anxiety, or the desire to achieve youthfulness or make drastic changes to their current lifestyle or feel the wish to change past decisions and events". Doesn't it sound like someone we know?

Also you fail to see the difference between romanticisation and glorification because you have the vocabulary of a mentally challenged mandrill.
:nocountryforshitposters:

"I will throw in another big word, maybe this will work as a diversion!". Nice try.

And those """serious""" moments are few and far between.
Moving the goalposts so soon?:

you are never punished [...]
Nice transition from "you are never punished" to "there are only few moments like that". I guess that's called progress.

I also don't give a shit about what those stalinist gamedevs said. Ever heard of death of the author?
Hm... Whom should I trust... A developer documenting his thoughts about developing his game on a devblog or some internet rando whose conclusions are questionable at best? Tough choice...

:philosoraptor:

And do you actually think that anybody would just come out and say "yeah so we wanted to basically romanticise mental illness and we did just that."
Given that they thanked Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels during their Game Awards speech I think they are based enough to don't give a fuck and just say what they think. Not that it matters - you made it painfully obvious you follow the doctrine of "if facts contradict my theory, then so much the worse for the facts". But hey, fuck them, we have YOU to tell us THE TRUTH.

QED: You're a retard.
:mca:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Age Of Decadence.
Lemme just look up a guide on how to specifically play one route of Planescape Torment. And then I'll get walls of politics and lore with little to no interesting characterization. That sounds like Torment.

Exaggerations aside the only thing similar is that they have a lot of text.

Harthwain

Magister
That's one way to out yourself as an illiterate and uneducated faggot. Well done. Will stop trading words with dumbasses like you.
...says the man who fails to respond to the actual arguments. Trying to act tough won't do you any favors.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I myself preferred the 'left field' reveal since it was thematically appropriate given what you learn about Revachol's history and the legacy it left on the neighborhood and its inhabitants, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Of course the 'left field' reveal was appropriate because the killer is a communist! :M
The "out of left field" reveal doesn't actually appear "out of left field", as there are myriad clues concerning the identity of the culprit scattered over the course of the investigation, including the corpse of the victim himself informing you about communism (and love) having killed him, a visual calculation that the bullet might have been fired from the islet (albeit the least likely location according to Harry's assessment), dried may bells associated with the Revolution appearing on Klaasje's roof, the bullet being determined to originate from an antique rifle associated with the Revolution, a bunker with communist paraphernalia having been used as a hideout, a ruined anti-aircraft tower visible on the islet, and various others. Screenshots of a few clues:
iWOArt0.jpg

No Truce with the Commies!

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That's one way to out yourself as an illiterate and uneducated faggot. Well done. Will stop trading words with dumbasses like you.
...says the man who fails to respond to the actual arguments. Trying to act tough won't do you any favors.

I ended up putting the troll on ignore. I got tired of him repeating bullshit just to keep arguing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
a visual calculation that the bullet might have been fired from the islet (albeit the least likely location according to Harry's assessment)

That one kinda dampened the "twist" ending for me a bit because I totally wanted to check that place out before passing the Shivers check. My visual calculus said it might have come from there but it was the last remaining place I hadn't checked out yet, while investigating the two other places revealed no traces of gunpowder or casings, so they were unlikely to have been the location of the shooting.

Sure, going to the island takes a bit of a detour, but it's not like you don't know people who could lend you boats or even drive you there...

Lurker47

Savant
I liked Planescape: Torment a lot but I don't think the quests are one of its strongest suites. The quests I did enjoy just kind of reminded me of Baldur's Gate so there you go.

Sykar

Arcane
You're missing the point. The point is that others pointing out how much of a fuck up 'arry is is exactly part of the romanticisation of fuck ups like him irl. You can endulge his issues but you are never punished for doing so.
Bullshit. There is a plenty of room for fucking up, including your life.

This kind of approach could stop people from portraying mental illnesses as serious and harmful medical conditions instead of le funny quirks uwu. But no, normies gotta have muh drama.
You are retarded if you can't separate fiction from reality or seriously think people are going to "romanticize" people with real life mental illnesses because of Disco Elysium.

Considering that they already do that thanks to Hollycrap with its distorted movies, yeah I do think that there are at least some people who can and will romanticize mental illness after playing DE. Hell they did it with a freaking psyhological terror manga "Killing Stalking", bullying the author because the author let the psychopathic serial killer and his latest victim both die instead of letting the ride into the sunset, the serial killer being cured by the "power of love" /lol
Hell we can to into reality and see people romanticizing serial killers and spree killers like Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dhamer and Elliot Rodger.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I do think that there are at least some people who can and will romanticize mental illness after playing DE.

Well, the amount of attention whores on TikTok claiming to have multiple personality disorder indeed increased x100 after that Shyamalan movie.

Harthwain

Magister
Considering that they already do that thanks to Hollycrap with its distorted movies, yeah I do think that there are at least some people who can and will romanticize mental illness after playing DE.
There is no shortage of retards in the world. If anything the social media made it easier to spot them. However, the mere existence of retards doesn't mean the average person shares this kind of mindset. For example: in general people are adverse to visit a psychologist, because the notion is that if you go to a psychologist, then you are insane/abnormal and people *are* going to treat you differently if they learn you do that.

Also, you messed up the quote within quote within quote.

jackofshadows

Magister
Creators should be able to romanticize whatever the hell they want. Who cares if some shmucks who are unable to separate fiction from reality will end up in jail or loony bin?

Sykar

Arcane
Considering that they already do that thanks to Hollycrap with its distorted movies, yeah I do think that there are at least some people who can and will romanticize mental illness after playing DE.
There is no shortage of retards in the world. If anything the social media made it easier to spot them. However, the mere existence of retards doesn't mean the average person shares this kind of mindset. For example: in general people are adverse to visit a psychologist, because the notion is that if you go to a psychologist, then you are insane/abnormal and people *are* going to treat you differently if they learn you do that.

Also, you messed up the quote within quote within quote.

George-Carlin-Quotes-3.jpg

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
As much as some people like to shit on Disco Elysium for not having a fully fleshed out combat layer, it is your best bet to get an experience that is very close to Planescape: Torment.
Combat is not that important imo, but the game overall is small-scale to the extreme. Come on, the whole game is just a single location and one investigation. Sure, it's fun, but felt more like a prologue to an actual game.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
As much as some people like to shit on Disco Elysium for not having a fully fleshed out combat layer, it is your best bet to get an experience that is very close to Planescape: Torment.
Combat is not that important imo, but the game overall is small-scale to the extreme. Come on, the whole game is just a single location and one investigation. Sure, it's fun, but felt more like a prologue to an actual game.
You're right, it did feel like a prologue. Best prologue in the history of gaming.

Codex Year of the Donut
Planescape Torment is memorable. What is your opinion on Torment Numenera? In my case the game looks interesting, but is bad on the technical side. It lags and stutters. Shame they had to go for high end effects, while they could do another game with Torment technology.
funny enough, the only part of numanuma I really remember is the companion written by Avellone
he's good at turning something on its head without feeling like a contrived deconstruction

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom