Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Black

Arcane
From the looks of it the early game is barely written too since they already had to re-write Minthara and still the purpose of raiding the druid grove is dumb as hell. "Absolute demands it". Whoa.

most of the content is already done, unless something unforeseen happens it will release in 2022.
Didn't Swen say that the endgame is not even written yet a few months ago?
I don't remember any specific quote about that, but I do remember him saying in June that they are "TRYING to get it done by 2022".
Which sounds like a polite way to say "It's a fucking miracle if this whole thing doesn't slip to a 2023 release".

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember any specific quote about that, but I do remember him saying in June that they are "TRYING to get it done by 2022".
Which sounds like a polite way to say "It's a fucking miracle if this whole thing doesn't slip to a 2023 release".
Can I just say that I'm perfectly fine with this? I mean, if he does decide to make the best RPG that he can, he might as well take all the time that can take. I just hope that he doesn't run out of funds.

And I am 100% earnest on this. I hope the game doesn't abruptly end, and the reason is the lack of funds.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, if nothing else, it's going to be expensive and ambitious. I mean, it's already that.

I just hate that no matter how many times I get burned by my optimism, I can't help but feel hopeful that it'll turn out to be awesome, even if not perfect.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From Swen's last report I think they are repeating the fate of Cyberpunk - too much money at hand, dev team is bloated, and they are making very expensive experiments with redesigning/rewriting content, because they can afford it, "after all we're making Baldur's Gate III".

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Doesn't matter how much money a game makes, it matters how much profit it makes. I've given up hope of the game never making it to release and am now hoping that they incompetently spent so much money that the game fails from a business perspective as well as a passion perspective. Degenerates will buy anything but surely there aren't enough degens to make up for the motion cap sex scene budget this game has. swen is going to really regret his 'modernization' of the series with things like full voice acting, high budget sex scenes, 3d, and a character face creator that can build all sorts of clown characters.

I'm honestly not sure of what goes on some people's mind, at times.

You make a post to highlight how unnecessarily stupid it is the way the game traces projectiles for bows and crossbows (and how it feels like throwing paper planes against the wind, example in the following picture)...

fA9BzaR.jpg

...and the first reply you get is someone who immediately attempts to make excuses for the studio, "Maybe they do it to avoid hitting obstacles between you and the target, it could be annoying for the player" "Maybe it's an engine limitation" (??), etc, etc.

Ok.
1- Why the fuck you should get a chance to hit the target if you don't have a proper line of sight.
2- Are you Larian's public attorney? Why are you even defending it with fringe hypotheticals?
3- Do you actually like the way it is or not? If yes, the fuck is wrong with you? If not, back to point 2.

SoupNazi

It's especially weird because they had this sorted out in DOS2. Hopefully they'll fix it. Have you reported it via the bug tracker / feedback, or are you just one of those cunts who like to complain about shit to show their clout but aren't willing to help by pointing something out, even if it seems obvious?

It's especially weird because they had this sorted out in DOS2. Hopefully they'll fix it. Have you reported it via the bug tracker / feedback, or are you just one of those cunts who like to complain about shit to show their clout but aren't willing to help by pointing something out, even if it seems obvious?
I did use the report form.
Also started a thread on the official forum and posted the same complaint on their Discord.
I made it shorter and simpler here, but frankly the same complaint was part of a report I already made months ago, too.

Long story short: I got you covered, so you can go back to sleep soundly and not let all this overwhelming amount of worries turn you into a gratuitous prick.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
2- Are you Larian's public attorney? Why are you even defending it with fringe hypotheticals?

Cultists will defend a game way harder than any paid pr person.

A pr person would give you some generic answer about how they're still working through things and listening to player feedback And how they'll look into it and maybe mention artistic vision.

A cultist will defend something forever claiming that it's actually better that way or that it's unnecessary and will actually convince themselves that they actually like it that way( until the developers change it, then the developers are amazing for listening to player feedback and caring about the community)

You can't win with cultists, especially larian cultists. They can't think for themselves, queue Swen linking a screen shot of review scores again.

I understand the chain, but why are you upset by such a tiny and insignificant thing?
I'm not sure how this is even an actual question.

I'm not particularly "upset" by it, I simply made a thread to point that it's a stupid and unnecessary details that involves several minor problems:
- it's not how bows and crossbows work in reality, to begin with.
- it's not how bows and crossbows are supposed to work in D&D either (it's meant to be a straight line for the projectile).
- even putting realism aside, it looks stupid and it doesn't bring mechanical advantages to justify its existence as a feature.
- it takes away from the feedback of strength behind the shot, making these projectiles look weaker than they should be....
- ...and consequently it's actively detrimental to the appeal of playing a ranged class (archer, marksman, sharpshooter, call it what you want).

How are you supposed to enjoy the role of the party's sniper when instead of shooting fast and deadly arrows/bolts you throw the equivalent of rubber darts making funny squeaky noises?

That aside, my comment here wasn't even about how much I care about this specific point. More than anything I'm baffled at seeing people who seem constantly in a rush to come up with a convenient excuse for something objectively bad when pointed to them, rather than conceding "Yeah, it's bad and unnecessary and it should probably be changed". Especially given we aren't even exactly talking about some radical change of direction that would involve an extensive system rework.

You make a post to highlight how unnecessarily stupid it is the way the game traces projectiles for bows and crossbows
...?
the game isn't tile-based, you can manually aim to get around obstacles, the line tracing helps with this.
Yeah. it "helps" you with something it shouldn't help with. There's no reason you should be able to find your way around the lack of a direct line of sight.

And I'm not sure what being "tile-based" should even matter for. It's a 3D environment and the game has ALREADY a system in place to check your LOS before firing up anything.

EDIT- Wait, did you think that the problem I had with it was that the line itself is visible?
That's not it, at all. I'm talking about what path the projectiles trace to begin with, not about how the game "previews" it.

Gradenmayer feel free to explain what problem do you have with this post, exactly, or if it's just you being a bona fide mongoloid.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
How often do you trip over your own bathroom robe?

There is a reason long dress was one of the most common types of cloth through ages. It's easy to make, protects from cold (and heat) and even some weapons if it's padded.

It's refined and civilized and elegant. It's barbarians which made pants a thing.

43599508_2159308074289634_1384689257137831936_n.jpg
OS5Nykr.png

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm honestly not sure of what goes on some people's mind, at times.

You make a post to highlight how unnecessarily stupid it is the way the game traces projectiles for bows and crossbows (and how it feels like throwing paper planes against the wind, example in the following picture)...

fA9BzaR.jpg

...and the first reply you get is someone who immediately attempts to make excuses for the studio, "Maybe they do it to avoid hitting obstacles between you and the target, it could be annoying for the player" "Maybe it's an engine limitation" (??), etc, etc.

Ok.
1- Why the fuck you should get a chance to hit the target if you don't have a proper line of sight.
3- Do you actually like the way it is or not? If yes, the fuck is wrong with you? If not, back to point 2.
You are trying to discuss combat mechanics with people whose greater concerns about the game is if the hair style are gender locked (i am not joking at all) . So that's where you fail, its futile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom