Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Life is Strange: True Colors from Before the Storm devs

Mortmal

Arcane
Literally nobody is going to buy this. The market for teeny alphabet people worship is very niche.

Apparently they thought making the protagonist an Asian girl would boost sales in Asia, but I highly doubt that.
It will be on gamepass for sure , so no one will buy. So this time its a cute lesbian as main character at least ?

WallaceChambers

Learned
Started playing this earlier today. Easily the best the series has been since LiS1, leagues beyond the colossal turd that was LiS2. Really enjoy it so far (just finished chapter 1).

WallaceChambers

Learned
It costs like two Psychonauts 2.

Psychonauts 2 is a better game and my current GOTY so if you have to pick one it's the easy choice.

On it's own merits, though, Life is Strange: True Colors is an excellent narrative adventure game. Total return to form for the series. Deck Nine nailed the cozy detail rich environments that make you want to inspect every hotspot. The cast of rural townsfolk are likable and have more depth to them than the secondary cast of any LiS game so far. The tone is back to a mystery story tinged with paranormal aspects, rather than the ham-fisted political and social messaging of LiS2. Alex is a genuinely fun protagonist and when you cringe at something she does it's an actual character trait rather than 40 year old French writers trying and failing to write young adult dialogue. The powers (which are basically mind reading) add an interesting dynamic to the choices, many of which are genuinely tense.

My only complaints are that the puzzle and mystery solving aspect is way too easy and I wish the powers played more of a factor in that. LiS 1 was somewhat better in this regard, where you actually had to think on occasion.

Really enjoying the game, and it seems pretty long too. I'd say it's definitely worth it for fans of the first game when especially when it enters the ~40 dollar range.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well I was a fan of LiS1 and BtS backe then, never tried LiS2 because of horrible reviews. Maybe this installation is more to my taste, but honestly, it's too expensive for this kind of game. I would (and will) pay this for Elden Ring, but honestly...

vonAchdorf

Arcane
On it's own merits, though, Life is Strange: True Colors is an excellent narrative adventure game. Total return to form for the series. Deck Nine nailed the cozy detail rich environments that make you want to inspect every hotspot. The cast of rural townsfolk are likable and have more depth to them than the secondary cast of any LiS game so far. The tone is back to a mystery story tinged with paranormal aspects, rather than the ham-fisted political and social messaging of LiS2. Alex is a genuinely fun protagonist and when you cringe at something she does it's an actual character trait rather than 40 year old French writers trying and failing to write young adult dialogue. The powers (which are basically mind reading) add an interesting dynamic to the choices, many of which are genuinely tense.

My only complaints are that the puzzle and mystery solving aspect is way too easy and I wish the powers played more of a factor in that. LiS 1 was somewhat better in this regard, where you actually had to think on occasion.

Really enjoying the game, and it seems pretty long too. I'd say it's definitely worth it for fans of the first game when especially when it enters the ~40 dollar range.

I haven't played the game yet, but my impression was that they want to get back to the atmosphere of the first game and the strength which made it interesting. Other than the diversity checklist cast they kinda avoided the cheapo political stuff in their preview campaign as far as I know.
I haven't touched LiS 2 but I'll give this a try on the first sale.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Honestly, I just finished LiS True Colors and it's less woke than the original game from 2015. They fucking speedrun moonwalked any and all aspirations to make political statements with this series and landed squarely on a normal young adult drama.

This is coming from a comics fan who (barely) survived the SJW Marvel Comics era of ~2016 onward. There's hardly anything in LiS True Colors that even registers on the woke Richter Scale. There is a diverse cast of characters but it doesn't come with the pretense and baggage you may have come to expect in 2021. They're humans first and foremost and their personal drama is front and center, not their racial identity.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It doesn't help things that they took the BTS idea of that D&D session and made it into a full-sized LARP episode. It has absolutely no connection to the main story or the characters. The entire 4th episode arc is missing in the game.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
And because the 4th act is missing, the only character that's sufficiently elaborated upon is the protagonist. That's too self-oriented for me. But as SJW narcissists and trannies are the target audience, this may actually be a good idea. Playing as Alex will give them gender euphoria, no doubt.

Lemming42

Arcane
Haha it ends with you covering fucking Violent Femmes? Seriously? Do Gen Z kids like Violent Femmes?

Thought this game was pretty good, Alex is a much better protag than Max ever was, far more focused on facing the challenge at hand (as opposed to Max, who just fucking complained).

Most interesting thing in the game by far was the decision of whether or not to pull Charlotte's anger/suicidal depression from her, at the risk of turning her into an emotional zombie. This was really complicated and honestly far, far more emotionally impactful than the whole gay mine plot, which was pretty standard stuff by comparison. I wish the whole game had been about the Charlotte character and Alex's relationship to her, honestly, because I couldn't give less of a fuck about the mine conspiracy or my two shithead friends.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
The game is gonna arrive today so maybe I'll give it a try. I kinda want to play LiS 2 before that tho. I owned it for a long time but couldn't make myself play it cause all of the shit I've heard about it.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would have tried it if I did not hate the way the main character looks. She looks really androgynous. Not one ounce of femininity in her. With LiS Max had this girlish vibe while this one has this ~ I don't know which gender I am ~ vibe. She dresses like a man in baggy clothing.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Apparently the game is capped at 30FPS on consoles including next gen, yet the characters look like they walked out of The Sims. Still uncapped on PC tho.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I would have tried it if I did not hate the way the main character looks. She looks really androgynous. Not one ounce of femininity in her. With LiS Max had his girlish vibe while this one has this ~ I don't know which gender I am ~ vibe. She dresses like a man in baggy clothing.

She's a zoomer - they all look like Billie Eilish.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I would have tried it if I did not hate the way the main character looks. She looks really androgynous. Not one ounce of femininity in her. With LiS Max had his girlish vibe while this one has this ~ I don't know which gender I am ~ vibe. She dresses like a man in baggy clothing.

Is there a transgender plot twist?

EruDaan

Arcane
I like how the game portrays LARPing as something that everyone either likes or approves (especially the hot lesbian love interest) instead of judging as what it is - a childish thing for manchildren that cannot or will not realize that Fantasy is just that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom