Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beyond Mankind - first-person sci-fi action RPG by M&B Brytenwalda mod devs

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I want to like this but time travel is the worst narrative device in the history of fiction. It always collapses in on itself into circular bullshit. I have no idea why people are so enamored with this hacky, stupid theme.

0wca

Learned
I want to like this but time travel is the worst narrative device in the history of fiction. It always collapses in on itself into circular bullshit. I have no idea why people are so enamored with this hacky, stupid theme.

God fucking damnit, not time travel again...

If they only do time travel to the future with no turning back that might be ok, if they handle it well. Just don't do the stupid, paradoxal go-to-the-past-to-change-the-future horseshit.

Otherwise, the game looks ok, but I don't do hope anymore. Show us lengthy gameplay videos, then we'll see.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1301590/view/2978556140066672445

FINAL UPDATE BEFORE RELEASE
Launch discount and minor release updates
Hello, H.O.P.E. soldiers!

The Brytenwalda Studios team is very excited about the release of BEYOND MANKIND! But before that, we have some updates for you.

LAUNCH DISCOUNT!

We would like to reward our most loyal players and the people who have supported us during development, so that’s why BEYOND MANKIND will have a
30% discount in its first week after release ! Don’t miss this opportunity to grab it!

Next week we intend to hold a giveaway on our social media. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay updated and to make sure you don’t miss it!
Twitter:
@brytenwaldateam

Instagram: instagram.com/brytenwaldastudios

SOME IMPORTANT NEWS

We also have some updates on Beyond Mankind’s development for you, which include important news regarding the game’s launch.

First of all, we’d like to let you know that at launch the game will be available in the following languages: Spanish, French, English, and Portuguese. Due to a situation out of our control, we will add the rest of the languages in an update that we’ll have ready in the coming weeks after release. We expect to have them included by the end of September.

As for gamepad compatibility, we’re still working on it, but it’s almost done, so it should be ready soon after release too. We strive to bring you the best possible gaming experience, so we’re making a few improvements and adjustments to make sure everything will be perfect when it’s implemented.

We also have some news concerning the Linux and MAC versions. After having some last-minute problems, we’ve decided to postpone their launch to make sure that they work perfectly, but they should be ready in the coming weeks.

All we can say is that we’re very sorry about these last-minute changes. Sometimes things don’t go as planned even if you do your best to make sure everything works and will be ready on time. As players ourselves, we understand that this can be frustrating for our fans. But we’re set on bringing you an incredible experience, so that’s why we ask that you bear with us. Everything we promised will be delivered in the first few days/weeks after release. Thank you for your support and understanding!

BEYOND MANKIND launches on August 31st , and we’ll keep on working to deliver the best experience we can. Pactum Serva!

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Game releases in like 15 hours. I'll buy it because I appreciate the devs work on Warband, but it at least looks interesting.

Codex Year of the Donut
Looking good. It's weird so few people speak about this game here.
????????
ss_92af07a231ab92f2332d1e64f0bbf0654f9dd9f5.1920x1080.jpg

Readher

Savant
To the people who played the demo, how was the FOV? Apparently there's no slider to change it, and I absolutely loathe narrow FOV, so I'd like to know before buying.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
To the people who played the demo, how was the FOV? Apparently there's no slider to change it, and I absolutely loathe narrow FOV, so I'd like to know before buying.
it was a long time ago... I think it was fine one ultra wide, but then there must be a reason i didnt put it on wishlist

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game completely flew under my radar and I missed the Steam demo, did anyone here play it? Any impressions?

It looks like a first-person ELEX and 30% launch discount is awfully tempting (provided the base price is decent) but already looking forward to the release of Encased out of EA in a week....

Jinn

Arcane
Out now, strangely a couple hours after the conventional steam release time.

That price!

Jinn

Arcane
Sex effects starting stats, so that's a cool thing already.

You can also species-hybridize your character with Neanderthal traits. :incline:

cpmartins

Cipher
Sex effects starting stats, so that's a cool thing already.

You can also species-hybridize your character with Neanderthal traits. :incline:
Cool, so if you create a female you start weaker, dumber, frailer and less agile like real life? is that hard mode? Can you use sex to get ahead?

Jinn

Arcane
Cool, so if you create a female you start weaker, dumber, frailer and less agile like real life? is that hard mode? Can you use sex to get ahead?

Well, judging by the fact that I just got killed near the beginning of the game by 3 rats (was trying to melee them and they swarmed me), I'd say the game is on hard mode regardless of sex chosen on the default difficulty setting.

I can't quite remember the exact attributes females get a bonus on, but I think it was concentration and perception. Males of course get bonuses in strength and constitution.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I did the intro area, here are some very early impressions:
- Intro starts with a Richard Dawkins quote. -5 points.
- After choosing superior Neanderthal genes, I ended up min-maxing my character so he ended up with 5 Strength and 1 Perception, but I still found firearms to be more effective then melee. While this is certainly realistic, I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. Either the knife I was given was simply shitty, or the RPG elements don't make much of a difference.
- I did get killed once by a swarm of rats, but otherwise I found the enemies rather easy to stunlock.
- At one point a shootout started between two groups inside my faction. There is no indication whether whoever you're aiming at is hostile, and everyone wore the same uniform, so I kinda got killed while figuring whom to shoot.
- Upon reloading after that, there was no shootout at all. Weird.
- A guard stopped me from going through a door. She wasn't very nice about it, so I tried to shoot her. Turns out, she was immortal and didn't even react to being shot, and the game forced me to find an alternate route. :decline:
- I enjoyed the general layout of the first area.
- Character models are truly prosperous, but I dig the environment. It's obviously low budget, but it's got charm.
- From glancing at the menu, "Skills" only seem to increase your base stats and melee and ranged ratings. There doesn't seem to be any fun stuff like lockpicking or hacking. There are social skills, and there were several attribute checks in dialogue. For now, they were just for flavor, and I get the feeling it will stay that way, but I'll give the game a chance to pleasantly surprise me.

Overall the game is janky as hell, and it seems like it is more of a FPS with some RPG elements than the other way around, but I can't deny I'm somewhat intrigued. This writeup probably sounds more negative than what I feel about the game, and for now I'm going to continue playing and see how it develops.

Jinn

Arcane
- After choosing superior Neanderthal genes, I ended up min-maxing my character so he ended up with 5 Strength and 1 Perception, but I still found firearms to be more effective then melee. While this is certainly realistic, I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. Either the knife I was given was simply shitty, or the RPG elements don't make much of a difference.
- I did get killed once by a swarm of rats, but otherwise I found the enemies rather easy to stunlock.
- At one point a shootout started between two groups inside my faction. There is no indication whether whoever you're aiming at is hostile, and everyone wore the same uniform, so I kinda got killed while figuring whom to shoot.
- A guard stopped me from going through a door. She wasn't very nice about it, so I tried to shoot her. Turns out, she was immortal and didn't even react to being shot, and the game forced me to find an alternate route. :decline:
- Character models are truly prosperous, but I dig the environment. It's obviously low budget, but it's got charm.
- From glancing at the menu, "Skills" only seem to increase your base stats and melee and ranged ratings. There doesn't seem to be any fun stuff like lockpicking or hacking. There are social skills, and there were several attribute checks in dialogue. For now, they were just for flavor, and I get the feeling it will stay that way, but I'll give the game a chance to pleasantly surprise me.

Overall the game is janky as hell, and it seems like it is more of a FPS with some RPG elements than the other way around, but I can't deny I'm somewhat intrigued. This writeup probably sounds more negative than what I feel about the game, and for now I'm going to continue playing and see how it develops.

This is the pre-tutorial area and not particularly indicative to how the game as a whole plays out, as far as I can tell. I've played for about 3 hours so far and am becoming more and more intrigued as each hour passes. Having a good amount of fun and appreciate not only the systems that seem to be in place, but also the setting and how they're developing the plot.

That being said, this game has a slow start. You're thrust from that intro area, into another tutorial area, into another fairly linear quasi-tutorial section, and then finally am reaching the point where it seems I'm going to have a bit more freedom. I'm ok with this start personally, but it is a little odd and I wanted to warn codexers because I know it'll piss a lot of people here off, especially if they're not expecting it.

Once I get into the meat of the game a bit more I'll try to post some more in-depth impressions. There's a lot of passion in this project, and I already feel bad for the devs, because I can tell they're going to be getting a lot of negative reviews from confused steamtards. I can pretty confidently say at this point that I'm overall feeling positive about Beyond Mankind despite its obvious shortcomings.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
this game is very engrossing despite the nearly zero budget feel, but you can tell they tried to do as much as they could with what they had

cpmartins

Cipher

This is the pre-tutorial area and not particularly indicative to how the game as a whole plays out, as far as I can tell. I've played for about 3 hours so far and am becoming more and more intrigued as each hour passes. Having a good amount of fun and appreciate not only the systems that seem to be in place, but also the setting and how they're developing the plot.

That being said, this game has a slow start. You're thrust from that intro area, into another tutorial area, into another fairly linear quasi-tutorial section, and then finally am reaching the point where it seems I'm going to have a bit more freedom. I'm ok with this start personally, but it is a little odd and I wanted to warn codexers because I know it'll piss a lot of people here off, especially if they're not expecting it.

Once I get into the meat of the game a bit more I'll try to post some more in-depth impressions. There's a lot of passion in this project, and I already feel bad for the devs, because I can tell they're going to be getting a lot of negative reviews from confused steamtards. I can pretty confidently say at this point that I'm overall feeling positive about Beyond Mankind despite its obvious shortcomings.

So, from 1 to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. how janky/bliat is it? I have a ban on new EA shit I'm willing to buy until at least 50% of the ones I currently have deliver, but I might be persuaded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom