Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry What's the best non Sir-Tech Wizardry?

Arthandas

Prophet
Preferably available in English, bonus points if you can actually still buy it.

Arthandas

Prophet
Wizardry Busin 0 Alternative Neo
I've seen your topic and I don't get what's so great about it. Having only closed dungeons instead of an open world is a massive decline to me. Also, it's not in English, and playing along separate guide/translation seems like a pain (are the dialogs even translated?).
Is this really as good as it gets for spinoff entries?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Grimwah is stones of arnhem after 20 years of development
Not true, SoA was being made by the team consisting of Max Phipps, Phil Moore, Michael Shamgar and Cleve while Grimoire is 100% Cleve's magnum opus.
so, I'm confused as to what you want
you asked for a Wizardry game, people listed you games created by actual Wizardry developers in the same style as Wizardry games.

...But you say, no, you wanted a Wizardry branded game.
You're in the wrong subforum for this, and those have nothing to do with actual Wizardry games.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Having only closed dungeons instead of an open world is a massive decline to me.
Dungeons are the core of Wizardry and any self-respecting dungeon crawler. If you want a world crawler, you might want to play Might & Magic instead.

Most Wizardry games from Japan follow Wizardry 1-5 rather than 6-8, so chances of getting exactly what you want are pretty slim.

(Also Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land is pretty good.)

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Wizardry Busin 0 Alternative Neo
I've seen your topic and I don't get what's so great about it. Having only closed dungeons instead of an open world is a massive decline to me. Also, it's not in English, and playing along separate guide/translation seems like a pain (are the dialogs even translated?).
Is this really as good as it gets for non mainland entries?

Having only dungeons is a matter of preference, isn't it? Also, everything (minus most of the library entries) is translated and dialogues are pretty easy to follow. If you actually were to play the game, inventory management might become the biggest annoyance. Though I tried my best to make clear what items can be found in what level of a dungeon (and ofc there is an item spread sheet). Nobody of course hinders you to make your own little notes on what your party member is wearing atm though. :shittydog:

I however would recommend you to play the first entry of the Forsaken Lands series (that has officially been translated) to get a gist of this branch of the Wizardry series.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't know about best, since I've only played two Japanese Wizardries, but I thought both Wizardry Gaiden IV and Wizardry Chronicle were pretty solid, anime free games. Gaiden is rather uneven in difficulty and level design, while Chronicle is the only RPG in my 30+ years of gaming that I've actually grinded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom