Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Dark Souls 2 the greatest game that From Software ever made?

Was Dark Souls 2 better than everything?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • It was better than everything

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No. There has never been a better game than Dark Souls 2

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

SumDrunkGuy

Dark Souls 2 is still better than ur favorite rpg, you fuckin queers. Lick my taint.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
2 with its DLC’s is better than 1, but they are all unique in certain ways, but I started with 2 so naturally I like it more than the rest despite it’s failures.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Emerald Herald is best DS girl.
Demon-s-Souls-Nexus-Ceremony-Orioto.jpg

dqou3b.webp
zltc4c.webp
tfkwjt.webp

The Maiden in Black established the archetype for The Emerald Herald, The Pale Doll, and the Firekeepers.

fork

Imagine looking for a 'waifu' in the Souls games; pathetic—no wonder FromSoft are going down the shitter with such a fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Dark Souls 2 is the best one. The only real drawback is soul memory which they should just patch out somehow. I understand why they did it, but they added the Agape Ring later on anyways to band-aid fix the error of their ways when they should just get rid of that shit entirely.

But in terms of replayability and build diversity, DS2 is the king. If you like PVP, DS2 is the best of them all. DS1 has to be the most overrated game I've played in the last ten years, I've no clue why this game gets so many free passes when the game itself completely falls apart after Anor Londo. The entire second half of the game is this gauntlet of pure shit when it comes to navigating it.

Past week I played DS1/in the midst of playing DS2 back-to-back and it's unnerving how much I prefer DS2. Everything about it is fun. The bullshit in DS2 is a lot less infuriating than DS1's bullshit. In some parts it's like the developers knew they were giving you some rough anal sex and would throw a bone like putting a bonfire there so you can bash your head against it repeatedly. DS1's bullshit takes away the player knowledge or is obsessed with pulling a fast one. Tomb of Giants is the worst area in all of the Souls games. It makes no sense why this area sucks so much cock when New Londo does what Tomb of Giants is trying to do but actually did it right.

Now DS2 does have its shit like grab attacks are given hitboxes that may as well be AOE but through all that I really do think it's superior. The DLC areas are way, way better that's for sure. Sunken City is one of the best dungeon delving experiences to this day, Fume Knight is superior to Artorias, and the greatest troll ever devised is in the Ivory King portion.

I'm not gonna bother mentioning DS3 because that game made me realize Miyazaki creatively peaked years prior and I'd sooner have the "B Team" make more games that are actually fun like DS2 was than trying to be some faggy art project like Miyazaki's direction goes towards. There are grown men, men with penises and testicles, that openly confess to weeping to killing Sif. LOL. Nigga I needed to kill that dumb ass dog for the Horny Ring. Told that retarded asshole that you hold a sword in your hands, not your mouth.

Oh yeah and when I went to Earthen Peak to Iron Keep I want every fucking DS1 fagboy here to know I masturbated on the elevator in joy to it. What are you gonna do about it, pussy?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Imagine looking for a 'waifu' in the Souls games; pathetic—no wonder FromSoft are going down the shitter with such a fan base.
Depends. I don’t think DS degraded it just went in a different direction with each game and now it’s been exhausted, that’s why there’s not a 4th.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It makes no sense why this area sucks so much cock when New Londo does what Tomb of Giants is trying to do but actually did it right.

At least Tomb of Giants can be entirely skipped without much thought.

Personally I don't find the gameplay of billion ghosts clipping through walls, ground and shit particularly riveting either. Lower new londo with the darkwraith is alright, but it's not a huge part of the gameplay of the map.

The only truly decent part of post Anal Londo DS1 is The Duke's Archives. It's not perfect by any means, the crystal caves can go fuck themselves but it's the only level I actually feel any sort of enjoyment in engaging slowly rather than using speedrun tactics to get through.

Of course, the best move is to not play. Replaying until doing the Painted World and killing O&S is enough.

DS1 is the first game I played in the souls series, yet I only finished it after I had played, finished, and replayed DS2 countless times. I just couldn't muster the energy to push through back in the day.

The only real drawback is soul memory

People keep talking about it like it's some major flaw and yet in all my hundreds of hours playing I haven't had a single moment where I went "man this Soul Memory shit really fucked me over, this wouldn't been so much better without it!". For me, having to avoid leveling up past certain point to stay in some "PvP meta" range is way lamer and I'm glad I don't have to even consider that shit in DS II. Maybe I'm just not sperg enough to understand it or the flaws of SM really kick in only in NG+ and above, where I never go anyway.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The only bosses that aren't push overs in DS1 main game (not counting DLC, and if we start comparing DLC content DS1 isn't going to win over DS2 anyway) are O&S, 4 Kings and Gwyn (if you don't parry him, if you do know how to, well..) so we're not going by a high standard of comparison there Unreal.

DS2 has admittedly a little too much redundant trash boss fights, but 1/ it doesn't have less good bosses 2/ DS1 also reuses bosses as just regular fights in the late game, like all that Taurus and Capra demon spam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom