Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Gradenmayer

Learned
Date Sim angle
Relationship <> romantic relationship. Still not the best mechanic in mind for this type of game tho.

What Marvel Heroes even are there that could work as a player character love interest that aren't C listers or below? All the big names are in their late 30s/40s and/or have a designated love interest?
None. And even just talking with them is pointless, because they added only popular heroes you already know everything about, making the whole thing a waste of time.

Maybe it will be something like "Wolverine and Blade were sent on enough missions together so they get buffs and a special combination attack" with some dialogue to justify it.

Wikipedia tells me Nico can cast any spell, but only once. If they actually implemented that in game it would be hilarious.
I was expecting her to be the "mission control" character because of this. Making her playable would be hard enough with her as the only character.

deuxhero

Arcane
You could make her a gimmick character with a long list of abilities that she can only use once per playthrough, but it would be costly in a game that didn't already have a bunch of magic spells to pillages.

I see little reason why anyone would even want to create their own original character in a Marvel or DC game. If it's an RPG then just treat the characters like classes. Look at something like Dragon's Dogma, (or a Diablo) if you were making an action RPG you could literally just ripoff everything that game does with skills and abilities but your "classes" are just characters like Wolverine and Doctor Strange.

Here it's like, ok, fine, it's one character and you still can be Blade or Wolverine or whoever. But getting the license for either Marvel or DC and then only having you create your own character that just talks to the characters you know from Marvel or DC? Why? Just seems like a waste of money. If you were wanting to create a superhero game where you're just having the player play as a created character or characters...then just fucking create your own superhero setting and ripoff whatever shit from wherever as the basis for the characters/classes in the game.

Saw something that says the Hunter in this has more than 40 powers and abilities to choose from. It sounds like there's some light vs dark side type thing going on with the Hunter,; given the specific Marvel setting of the whole thing I'd think you're choosing magic (maybe also psychic) and physical based based abilities on top of that, and probably also some kind of mix of the two. Maybe her stuff is just some kind of pool of what everyone else can do, and the relationship system has you learning variances of things the preexisting characters can do?

deuxhero

Arcane
I disagree. Licensed characters telling the player they're cool is very much something people like. Lots of really old PC games (especially for younger audiences) went as far as to make the player at the screen themselves so they could be congratulated directly.

Mazisky

Magister
I disagree. Licensed characters telling the player they're cool is very much something people like. Lots of really old PC games (especially for younger audiences) went as far as to make the player at the screen themselves so they could be congratulated directly.

So their target audience between 8 and 10 years old?

That shit is fucking blows. If I'm buying an X-Men game I want to be the X-Men, I don't just want to be my own OC X-Man character who is told they're awesome by the official X-Men. You can have that shit in there if you also get to use the license characters, but just being your own original character in a game with a license like that is really dumb. The multiverse being a huge part of both Marvel and DC also gives any developer an easy explanation as to why you're seeing a bunch of the same character running around in any multiplayer games if that's what they're doing.

If I'm playing a Marvel or DC game, I'd rather be creating my own version of some known character than creating my own original character.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>cards

I wanna die

Gy8ZP5b.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More on September 7th: https://midnightsuns.2k.com/news/watch-the-hunter-and-wolverine-take-on-sabretooth

WATCH THE HUNTER AND WOLVERINE TAKE ON SABRETOOTH!

Watch the Hunter and Wolverine take on Sabretooth during the first Marvel's Midnight Suns gameplay stream, September 7 at 11:30am PT!

To say that Wolverine and Sabretooth are sworn enemies doesn't even begin to describe the depth of their hatred for one another. The regenerating mutant pair have been fighting and occasionally killing each other in comic books since the mid '80s when, after sharing the cover of Power Pack #27, they clashed in Uncanny X-Men #212. They've scrapped in sewers and secret labs, gone head-to-head in Hell, and even tore into each other as zombies. At 11:30am PT / 7:30pm BST on September 7 (2:30am UTC+8 / 4:30am AET on September 8), the Hunter and Wolverine are teaming up against Sabretooth for a ferocious grudge match during the first ever gameplay stream of Marvel's Midnight Suns.

In one corner, we've got the Hunter and Wolverine fighting to save the world. Wolverine's razor-sharp claws, regenerating health, and ability to taunt enemies into focusing on him make him well-suited to fighting on the front line. Tilting the odds in Wolverine's favor on this occasion will be members of the Firaxis development team and the Hunter, Marvel's Midnight Suns' protagonist and the first customizable original hero in the Marvel Universe. The Hunter has a previous lifetime of training and experience to draw on and can fill a number of different combat roles by focusing on dealing damage, supporting allies, controlling enemies, mitigating incoming damage, or any combination thereof.

In the other corner is Wolverine's age-old nemesis Sabretooth, another mutant with a superpowered healing factor and the animalistic instincts and strength of a fearsome predator. Even in a two-on-one battle, Sabretooth should prove to be a fierce opponent. You'll have to tune in to see who stands victorious when Wolverine and the Hunter take on Sabretooth in an intense head-to-head fight.

If you've been anxiously waiting to get a good look at Marvel's Midnight Suns' tactical combat system, this epic battle is not to be missed! Watch it right here or over at IGN.com.

Zyondyne

Learned
My congratulations to Firaxis and especially to Marvel!

At no point did I expect this to be a card game with the "mobile" look all over it. I was thinking an XCOM reskin or a more primitive Dragon Age/Mass Effect clone. But they outdid themselves this time.

I was wrong and the modern gaming industry proved me once again how out of touch they can truly be.

And I was thinking XCOM 2 with Avengers skins would be bad enough, but now this is bad on a completely new level. Good job, Firaxis!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I like Firaxis and Jake is a likeable dudebro dude, so I'll give them the benefit of doubt and not completely write this game off a priori. But this definitely looks more like a Disney producers directed endeavour with more flash than substance, but I hope reviews will prove me wrong and there's actually a deep game underneath.

The game doesn't even seem to have fucking movement on the grid.
They've been almost purposefully vague with showing this explicitly, but every single bit of action in the trailer was accomplished with static heroes targeting an enemy with an ability card.

J1M

Arcane
The gameplay reveal was so cagey that we can definitely confirm one thing: it is turn-based. :lol:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
The game doesn't even seem to have fucking movement on the grid.
They've been almost purposefully vague with showing this explicitly, but every single bit of action in the trailer was accomplished with static heroes targeting an enemy with an ability card.

Looking at the UI closely, there's Card Plays, Moves, Redraws (?) and Items.

So I guess there's movement in there that isn't part of an ability, sorry, card effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom