Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infuriating Developer Decisions in RPGs

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Use this thread to post a list of things that create rage for you in RPGs. Ideally for all the prestigious developers who read the Codex and can use them to enhance their games, and for the retarded developers who...need help in avoiding basic pitfalls.

My top hate that makes me want to kneecap Bioware and Obsidian developers: magically teleoprting the main character to dialogue with an enemy (as per NWN2) and then ambushing them with enemies when combat was inevitable all along - as per ME & most Bioware games. Also seen in Obsidian's NWN2.

What's the point of having a party and stealth characters if you're going to gang-butt-and-face-fuck the main character everytime they talk to an enemy?.

Can't handle the bacon

Allowing savescumming.

Having a difficulty level selection that forces you to pick blindly. What is "normal" - piss-easy combat for casuals or something that's actually reasonably challenging? What is "hard" - something entertainingly difficult, or ridiculously unbalanced garbage for autists with too much time on their hands?

Any RPG should have at most two difficulty levels - normal and easy. With normal being reasonably challenging but well-balanced and not a timewaster once you git gud, and easy for casuals and gamerthots.

Arbiter

Scholar
1. Same animations played over and over again for no good reason, for example a character in Fallout always holstering their weapon before attempting to open a locker or a door.
2. Ancient evil/chosen one stories.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turning reknowned RPG franchises into scummy slow-witted first person shooters.
Revisiting other good old franchises and turning them into scummy slow-witted first person shooters.
Thinking that making RPGs into first person shooters/stabbers and that traditional RPG systems can't match with FPP view and that they have to be streamlined to hell, is all that can possibly be thought of.
(Fallout, Cyberpunk, Syndicate, TOW, and so on...)

Yeah, Syndicate isn't an RPG, but it bummed me that it was remade the way it was remade.

Dorateen

Arcane
Developer companions. To the point in the OP, that scenario would not happen in the absence of a special snowflake main protagonist. Rather, the adventuring party should be treated like a team of individuals, each selectable by the player to perform actions dependent on situational context.

curds

Magister
When the dialogue option is different to what the player character actually says. The worst part is that as far as I can tell there is not even any reason behind this. I blame The Witcher 2, but maybe there is an earlier game that does this that I'm not aware of.

Lengthy exposition.

Lengthy/lots of cutscenes.

Lack of basic reactivity. Total reactivity is a lot to ask for, I know, but you've gotta have the basics. Take any Elder Scrolls game, for example: You can join the Fighters' Guild after literally saving the world and they will not recognise you and will treat you like shit.

The absolute worst: When there is something so simple that you obviously should be able to do, but can't because the developer didn't think of it or (more likely) bother to implement it. For example, player character can't tell NPC #1 that NPC #2 stole from NPC #1.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I have written about this before, but my #1 most hated RPG trope is Diablo-style loot treadmills, Divinity "item fever", and any other form of rampant itemization.

Some key features of this abortion of a design philosophy...

- Illogical, randomized item design: You got an Amulet of Fire Magic, Lockpicking, and Poison Resistance! Because that's totally something a person would enchant and find useful.

- Nonsensical item distribution: You looted the aforementioned Amulet off of a giant rat you just killed. But where did the rat get this? Why was he carrying it? And how, for that matter?

- Boring, linear, granular item progression: You just got a new sword. It's a Level 6 which does +2.7% damage, compared to the Level 4 you picked up a couple maps ago which only does +2.3% damage. After 50 hours of this, the reward centers in your brain are completely fried.

- Devalued artifacts: You explored the ancient castle of Dickendorf and managed to recover Belenfuck's Sword, a long lost artifact! A few levels later, you kill a bandit and loot a Plain Iron Sword that has better stats.

- Consumable spam: You are having a hard time in a particular encounter. Perhaps you should come up with a better strategy? Nope, just pause the game and drink 5 potions in a row so your health is refilled.

Could probably come up with more examples, but you get the idea.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Solasta could have been the most incredible RPG and sandbox RPG builder, but they wasted so much on the stupid voices, cutscenes, stories, babbling dialogues, over engineered map/travel system, etc. I wish devs would make the core game and get it good, then add extra things as they go, if they can. Much better than just trying to do everything with no money. Also storyfags have totally ruined gaming. Also why do studios assume every gamer is 12? I want to play action games even as I get older but all the stupid kiddie shit is really offputting. I am fine with stylized games but all the sunday morning cartoon characters are annoying as fuck. I'm sure Fortnite, and Overwatch and stuff is probably something I might like, gameplay wise, but the annoying voices and characters and stuff makes me stay well away. It also makes their audiences so young that I feel uncomfortable even playing the same game as them.

Gameplay wise I am bothered a lot by MOBAs. I love the idea of well tuned multiplayer battles, but the 3 lanes on the exact same map EVERY game and you grind for 20 minutes before the real action starts, and you have to find your own people to play with otherwise you get retards that ruin the game and stuff? Wtf! Did the dipshit that designed these things never play NOX?!!? I love the combat though, it's like a multiplayer action RPG. But so many infuriating decisions.

I was going to make a thread like this too because if a game is way off then screw it. But if a game is kinda good but could have been great, and was held back by some dumb design choices, that's infuriating!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Allowing savescumming.

Having a difficulty level selection that forces you to pick blindly. What is "normal" - piss-easy combat for casuals or something that's actually reasonably challenging? What is "hard" - something entertainingly difficult, or ridiculously unbalanced garbage for autists with too much time on their hands?

Any RPG should have at most two difficulty levels - normal and easy. With normal being reasonably challenging but well-balanced and not a timewaster once you git gud, and easy for casuals and gamerthots.
All of this here really. I'm already annoyed that most RPGs start you off with exactly zero knowledge of the game but tell you to build a character anyway, then they ask you to trust their own judgement on difficulty.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I'm always disappointed by games that look great but insist on real-time combat.

Fates of Ort, Code of the Savage, etc.

Look, this one even uses a grid system but it's still real-time

fates-of-ort-5.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Removing the one cool thing from Neverwinter Nights 1 when they made Neverwinter Nights 2 - the combat animations. Will never get this.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'm always disappointed by games that look great but insist on real-time combat.
Fates of Ort, Code of the Savage, etc.
Look, this one even uses a grid system but it's still real-time
fates-of-ort-5.jpg
I'm always disappointed by games that give zero shit about proportions.

oscar

Arcane
Goofy lol random plots. I didn't mind Dungeon of Naheulbeuk too much because it's framed from the get-go as a parody (and fires enough humour that some manages to hit). But Larian shit is an atrocious mix of bad childish humour (a lot just plain weird) with a serious plot that didn't end up working at all.

Spending stupid amounts of time and resources on things like voicing every single banal line of dialogue (what means for indie devs that everyone sounds like shit and you skip through it anyway). Arcanum did it nice with great voice actors used sparingly at the introduction of the character and a few important moments.

Character customisation (where everyone looks fugly anyway). Bonus points if half the female haircuts are buzzed sides (what a dorky game developer 10 years out of trend sees as badass and edgy)>

Nostalgia-baiting shitty pixel art. Looks worse than stuff from the 90s anyway. Bonus points if dialogue becomes borderline unreadable from it.

Forced online elements or MMO-lite gimmicks.

Irrelevant survival/camping aspects.

Kingdom building in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom