Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

Gerrard

Arcane
I would never buy another Anno again if placing a building meant going on a pixel hunt to line it up every time.
And nothing of value would be lost.
I can tell you're actually autistic, because you can't even figure out that a game can have guides and rulers that would let you line up things perfectly. And literally nobody except other autists cares if you get 8% more efficiency with your perfectly square and ugly as shit layout.
The grid are those guides and rulers.
Except you can't ignore the grid.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I would never buy another Anno again if placing a building meant going on a pixel hunt to line it up every time.
And nothing of value would be lost.
I can tell you're actually autistic, because you can't even figure out that a game can have guides and rulers that would let you line up things perfectly. And literally nobody except other autists cares if you get 8% more efficiency with your perfectly square and ugly as shit layout.
The grid are those guides and rulers.
Except you can't ignore the grid.
You sound like the one with autism.

Delterius

Arcane
heard this was cracked so I came to check the thread and

wtf is going on city builders have had curved streets + a grid for ten thousand years already
Except Anno isn't and never has been a city builder. It's a unique economy/trading RTS first and foremost. Or do you know many city builders where you have to build navies and armies and conquer rival empires?
consider my a neophyte so the following question is genuine

would curved streets with a grid explode the game's micro

the pixel hunting quests. of my fucking sweet jesus on a pogo stick, the pixel hunting quests. i would have liked to the there, at the meeting, "-yo, guys, do you know what would totally make this game totally better? totally pixel hunting! -yo bro, you're totally right! high five!". and then beat everyone to a pulp with a meat tenderizer.

anyway, even ignoring those, i gave up on this game after a couple days. it's just so damn banal and boring.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the pixel hunting quests. of my fucking sweet jesus on a pogo stick, the pixel hunting quests. i would have liked to the there, at the meeting, "-yo, guys, do you know what would totally make this game totally better? totally pixel hunting! -yo bro, you're totally right! high five!". and then beat everyone to a pulp with a meat tenderizer.

anyway, even ignoring those, i gave up on this game after a couple days. it's just so damn banal and boring.
Pixel hunting quests were a total menace in the previous games, since they were often required even to the late game. In 1800 you can do them for some rewards but those will become mostly irrelevant from mid-game on so you don't have to bother with them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
heard this was cracked so I came to check the thread and

wtf is going on city builders have had curved streets + a grid for ten thousand years already
Except Anno isn't and never has been a city builder. It's a unique economy/trading RTS first and foremost. Or do you know many city builders where you have to build navies and armies and conquer rival empires?
consider my a neophyte so the following question is genuine

Curved streets would have to be part of a complex solution. You can't just splice them on the current system.

Again, Anno isn't really a city builder, it's an economy simulator first and foremost. The streets have to be directly connected to the buildings for the trading/economy system to work. The 20 year old Anno formula would have to completely change. And yeah, it'd probably mean a huge move from micro to macro which the traditionalist fans (and there are armies of them, especially in Gaymany) would've answered with molotovs I imagine.

Mortmal

Arcane

Same here, its super pretty, but zero challenge and not so much replayability either, once you have reached higher tier you dont feel like starting anew there's no different strategies.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Tropico 6 seems to have curved streets and a grid, so no.

There's really no reason for it other than accessibility. Curved streets would make efficient city layouts harder. But this is a game that expects you to hand-place 1000 trees and shrubs to incrementally make your town ever so slightly more attractive.

Delterius

Arcane
There's really no reason for it other than accessibility. Curved streets would make efficient city layouts harder.
Except nothing stops you from doing grids in Tropico either. But I agree. Started playing this week and the micro that you can and are expected to do with making the city pretty with ornaments shows, to me, that the opposition between city builder and econ sim is false. Every good city builder has at least traffic as an issue to be solved and Tropico has production chains as well as the need to make your cities walkable outside of roads.

Anyways I really just popped in to say that there's something funky about maintaining my own high seas battle fleet just with the money I get from selling soap to the prison system.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Right, saying it's an economy game not a city game seems like splitting hairs, since managing your economy is an important part of city builders. Although I do admit Anno gives me a strong Factorio vibe, and that's really not a city building game by most people's account.

I guess the question is where are these city-builders with no economic mechanics?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If there is any meaningful difference between Anno and city builders it's that Anno doesn't rely much on city/block layouts and efficient walkers like in the Impressions Games titles. I'd say the naval stuff is more a gimmick than anything hugely defining or game changing, especially once you set up your trade routes (which you also have in the Impression games, just a bit different). I suppose the idea is to raid your opponents' trade routes and shit but I don't remember a single time I've done this.

Keyboard Vomit

I suppose the idea is to raid your opponents' trade routes and shit but I don't remember a single time I've done this.
I haven't played the most recent entries but in multiplayer your shipping lanes are very important in the Anno games I have played.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The game is free-to-play this weekend on Steam Epic, also discounted.
Link

Unbenannt.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, by this point they're just blatantly milking this game dry with cosmetics and other cheap knick-knacks.

Stop with this retarded bullshit and give me a brand new fantasy Anno already.

Olinser

Savant
Eh, by this point they're just blatantly milking this game dry with cosmetics and other cheap knick-knacks.

I mean they kind of have to. They jumped on the Epic Shitsclusive train and now they're stuck.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I mean they kind of have to. They jumped on the Epic Shitsclusive train and now they're stuck.
What are you talking about? Anno is a Ubisoft game, it was never an Epic exclusive.

Also what does Epic have to do with anything here?

Olinser

Savant

What are you talking about? Anno is a Ubisoft game, it was never an Epic exclusive.

Also what does Epic have to do with anything here?

Wow, people have short memories.

First, nobody gives 2 shits about the Ubistore or whatever the hell they call their spyware system.

They took pre-orders of 1800 on Steam, then publicly took a bribe to make it Shitsclusive and removed ability to purchase from Steam immediately after release. It's 'available' only in the sense that IF you bought it at release you can play a totally unsupported and bugged version on Steam.

Gerrard

Arcane
Wow, people have short memories.

First, nobody gives 2 shits about the Ubistore or whatever the hell they call their spyware system.

They took pre-orders of 1800 on Steam, then publicly took a bribe to make it Shitsclusive and removed ability to purchase from Steam immediately after release. It's 'available' only in the sense that IF you bought it at release you can play a totally unsupported and bugged version on Steam.
So this is what having double digit IQ is like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom