Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

GrainWetski

Arcane
Did you play PKM, we had this discussion there 100 times and answer was always the same. When you turn off XP sharing that XP is total XP, not per person in party. Divide that by 4 and you will see how much you actually got.
While that 18XP is actually what each character gets. Blame devs for confusing newbies.
Why would they change how they display XP gains?

Shinros

Learned
Did you play PKM, we had this discussion there 100 times and answer was always the same. When you turn off XP sharing that XP is total XP, not per person in party. Divide that by 4 and you will see how much you actually got.
While that 18XP is actually what each character gets. Blame devs for confusing newbies.

This is incorrect, played the beta for over 1000+ hours, turning off exp share actually gives you more exp, you can use the tutorial to test this. Trying turning on exp share, you won't reach level 2 by the end of the maze, if you know how to manipulate it (turning it off and on as you get party members) you can reach level 3 midway within the maze or even level 4 by the time you reach the tavern. The tutorial and chapter 1 is the perfect time to get your whole party ahead of the exp curve.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Larian were never particularly "based" either, it is just the Codex thing of us wanting some gameplay style that was abandoned by the mainstream, so when they give us that one thing we go "Ooooh wow they must be super based in every regard!" and then disappointment ensues.
Yeah, I fully understand that.

I never thought Owlcat were "based", the cuck couple from Kingmaker told me they weren't, but I had hoped their Russian location would have landed at least a few people who aren't tranny cultists on the team. Someone kept shilling the idea that it'd only be chapter 1 that was like this, but the more I see of the devs doing tranny speak on Steam and YouTube, the more I realize they're freaks too.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is incorrect, played the beta for over 1000+ hours, turning off exp share actually gives you more exp, you can use the tutorial to test this. Trying turning on exp share, you won't reach level 2 by the end of the maze, if you know how to manipulate it (turning it off and on as you get party members) you can reach level 3 midway within the maze or even level 4 by the time you reach the tavern. The tutorial and chapter 1 is the perfect time to get your whole party ahead of the exp curve.
Can''t we just compare the value changes in the character screen after a kill, and this would resolve the argument?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Looks like the incredibly overpowered smilos are back... except this time as regular monsters instead of just pets.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I think that would be because of the quest XP. You get 7500xp total when you reach the mutt cave or at least some quest thatearly. That's over 1000 XP extra to share if you have 'only active' on.

Not really a well thought out system to say the least.

Shinros

Learned
Can''t we just compare the value changes in the character screen after a kill, and this would resolve the argument?

Just tested it, technically I was wrong, I think manipulating the exp share at the start merely sets the value higher than it's meant to at the start of the game. I think it's because you have less than six party members, it gives you the exp value equivalent of three-four members instead of six. So yes, it does give you more exp, but if you have a full party it's pointless, so in truth it's better to manipulate it to still remain ahead of the curve. So in a way we were both right.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
:majordecline::majordecline::majordecline:

This game makes me realize I enjoyed the first half of Kingmaker because it had nice somewhat traditional fantasy feel to it. Wild frontier, go to a swamp, kill a troll.
Now I feel like I'm trapped in a giant comic con hall, a fire broke out, demons poured in and to make everything worse, it's pride month.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just tested it, technically I was wrong, I think manipulating the exp share at the start merely sets the value higher than it's meant to at the start of the game. I think it's because you have less than six party members, it gives you the exp value equivalent of three-four members instead of six. So yes, it does give you more exp, but if you have a full party it's pointless, so in truth it's better to manipulate it to still remain ahead of the curve. So in a way we were both right.
I was just asking, the guy who was arguing with you was different :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
I had hoped their Russian location
I think you're misinterpreting the writers a bit. I would say what happens is more like a small part of Russian female RPG crowd, that writes fanfiction for how their gay character was romanced by other hot gay guy in Dragon Age landed into positions of DMs girlfriend/writers in Owlcats.

Just like tormented soul Tristian was written by a woman for women, so are some characters here, who are considered "kawai" by their writers.

Basically, we are suffering less from sjw, than we are victims of Russian female fanfiction. The particular Russian female LARP crowd who are happy to go outside playing LARPs while cosplaying a cute male elf.
boys (something like russian ViktorMeredoths) are munchkining u insane dungeons and 500 classes and +15 swords; while russian women are being..

complex.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

This game makes me realize I enjoyed the first half of Kingmaker because it had nice somwehat traditional fantasy feel to it. Wild frontier, go to a swamp, kill a troll.
Now I feel like I'm trapped in a giant comic con hall, a fire broke out, demons poured in and to make everything worse, it's pride month.

It hurts knowing the older you get, the further away you get from ever seeing games like the 90s and early 00's ever again. It's not just about the gameplay but, as you say, the flavor. That traditional fantasy stuff, as much as people used to talk shit about it as schlock, it just doesn't exist anymore, insofar as it is referenced it will be buried under modern references and social commentary.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
edit - as for multiclassing....yeah sure, but that ultimately weakens a zen archer.
Apparently Inquisitor -> Judge doesn't, if your party is full and combat oriented. As opposed to spellcasting oriented.

Also would explain why he has Brew pots taken, etc.

Yeah, ZA’s great but the other ways you can take him aren’t too shabby either. Unfortunately he and Seelah (and maybe Wolj) are the only companions for whom that is true.

Judge is the perfect day one clickbait meme choice: probably pretty good once you get to level 12 and above but missing out on the levels in between.

The other ways he can go (Drovier, Sacred Hunt, all the Hunter classes) pay off much earlier.

Saravan

Savant

This game makes me realize I enjoyed the first half of Kingmaker because it had nice somewhat traditional fantasy feel to it. Wild frontier, go to a swamp, kill a troll.

I'll be honest I strongly considered refunding after I realized I didn't actually enjoy extravagant epic adventure. It didn't help that the writing and companions are lackluster overall.

Too bad I decided to read every wall of text up until Shield Maze and by then I exceeded the 2 hour rule on steam so I said fuck it and clicked for the 20th time on the Gargoyle.

Mauman

Learned
Looks like the incredibly overpowered smilos are back... except this time as regular monsters instead of just pets.

It's definitely a bug. When you make a new character/respec the attacks go back to normal. But then something causes them to go "poof" after a while.

I think it's when you reload the game but I could easily be wrong.

It's not just the Smilodons either. Evidently animal companion multiple attacks (particularily those that go beyond 2) are wonky in general.

Desiderius

Patron
Some things do change in the city after the attack. Don't know to list them all, but there is one thing you really should do before:
Go to the Blackwing Library. AFAIK, if you go after the attack, the Storyteller is still there but the mage prisoners aren't and those guys are awesome since in the Grey Garrison they buff you with an hour long haste and follow you around shooting cantrips and dispelling magic locks.
That would just make the Grey Garrison a cakewalk, so not really missing out on anything important like entire quests or anything as far as I know.

View attachment 20683

Lol. I think the meme of Russian devs being "based" (or at least being hands-off) can be buried now.
Silentstalker

Frank Davis
Frank Davis sounds very Russian.

It doesn’t make it a cakewalk lol. It only lasts one rest. Bigger benefit is probably the two wizards who follow you around and Dispel things.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Fuck off, traitor scum! Your "gods" have no power over me. We have

6f2jtlZ.jpg
Hey, where is the rest of this calendar. I think it could use a 2022 version.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I had hoped their Russian location
I think you're misinterpreting the writers a bit. I would say what happens is more like a small part of Russian female RPG crowd, that writes fanfiction for how their gay character was romanced by other hot gay guy in Dragon Age landed into positions of DMs girlfriend/writers in Owlcats.

Just like tormented soul Tristian was written by a woman for women, so are some characters here, who are considered "kawai" by their writers.

Basically, we are suffering less from sjw, than we are victims of Russian female fanfiction. The particular Russian female LARP crowd who are happy to go outside playing LARPs while cosplaying a cute male elf.
boys (something like russian ViktorMeredoths) are munchkining u insane dungeons and 500 classes and +15 swords; while russian women are

complex.
nr2nE6K.png

Ghramunhir

Novice

Same. I miss the grounded adventures where I travel through the wilderness with me and my boys.

c8zkEBA.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why would they change how they display XP gains?
I don't know, they did it same in PKM and I guess they never fixed it. Probably nobody complained.

Desiderius

Patron
He gets it for free at lvl 2. You commonly take Feats with no prereqs early that don’t come into play until later if your other Feats you want have prereqs.
Does the game tell you about that?
Because if it doesn't, that's a design flaw. You can't expect people to check every single feat they'd like to take "will this be gotten automatically later on?". That's a QoL feature a character creator (no matter if in a game or for PnP) should do FOR you.
Or, if it is something that would be received automatically later on, if you'd receive it twice, the game should allow you to exchange one feat for another as to not lose out.

Then again, the game has respec, so... that's more of a user interface optimization.

Oh for fucks sake. He was whining about a choice the game made not about a choice the player makes.

Crybabies to the left of me, ignorant condescenders to the right. The game valuably keeps your options open and you phaggots still find two different ways to beclown yourselves desperately trying to pose as above it all.

You’re new. You should be standing under not lording over.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I used to do that in PKM for starting dungeon and start of Act 1 until I could get to full 6 man party. At least in PKM I did notice that when I would find new companions inside Act 1 they had less XP than my starting 6 because of this.

This is why I say that it might work same in this game as well, especially since I see they didn't fix XP display. If I am wrong, better for powergamers. I just keep XP sharing on for my normal run (where I plan to have 6 man in party) as this is how the game was designed and balanced. All you are doing by powergaming it is making your first run easier than it is designed. Don't complain later that combat is too easy, you probably outlevel it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
well hm I guess since I am drunk and eating nachos I can do enover shotpost
si
shitpost

Well a) USSR got more equal rights for women BEFORE the west (woman could be a friend, a tovarisch, etc.) 2) Russians, of similar age to our codexer, were enamoured with everything Tolkien. Tolkien affected whole generation of people, to the point that, instead of just drinking ourselves to death or smoking and listening Tsoy (that's a previous, romantic, 40+ yo gen), there was another gen - the larp sort of gen (one I belong to as well). Just like cigarettes and Tsoi, we were also romantics, enought to drag ourselves around places like Bitsevsky park, hitting each other with swords and dressing up in stupid ways, play D&D, especially in the web, on 56k modems (and worse) cause was hard to find group; we used shit printed russian fan translated AD&D rules (which forever set Russian players on philosophy "bad roll, u died? eh, roll next char").
However, men were not alone. Girls who liked fantasy were also very much a thing, lot of them. Some of them would dress up in pretty dresses and play elfs, while others wouldn't fear to make themselves some leather armor and hit someone with a sword too.
It all then transitioned into CRPGs as well, hence the Daidres, who would collect every item in NWN1 and then dress their mary sue female characters up.
And then Bioware stepped up their game, then more fanfiction, more romance,
and so here we are now, with female russian coders wearing unicorn hats and playtesting romances.

probably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom