Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's ten dolla for the GOTY edition, is it worth a buy?
It isn't as poisonous as everyone here says. Keep your expectations in check and you can find some fun with it.

I liked it for the gore, playing dress-up, navigating dungeons, sneaking around open world sniping, taking fun screenshots.

Fallout4_2021-03-06-020049152.jpg

Make sure to use a basic modlist as xuerebx suggests to get the thing minimally functional.

Razor

Arcane
So,

Got this for the first time, did some basic modding and bum rushed diagonally through the map doing some pit stops in the various locations on the road. To get a feel of what it is like since this is my first true Beth Fallout entry. Only large quest I have done is the one with Nick Valentine which turned out to be part of the main quest.

This is more of a vertical slice I have experienced but for those who have done it completely- is it all just endless pew-pew in random themed dungeons? Are there no alternate solutions to locations like stealth or bullshitting your way through it?

So far all this is accomplishing is making me want to reinstall FNV.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
This is more of a vertical slice I have experienced but for those who have done it completely- is it all just endless pew-pew in random themed dungeons? Are there no alternate solutions to locations like stealth or bullshitting your way through it?.

See that Settlement? You can craft it. You can also craft power armors. You can craft weapon modifications.

Face it, if Black Isle had wisest idea to add crafting to Fallout 1 & 2, they would be the most popular crpgs ever :smug:

jackofshadows

Magister
is it all just endless pew-pew in random themed dungeons?
Yes, essentially subj is a shooter. I've no idea why did they bother so much with the crafting system - even those who really like to tinker with it should've known better and play Rust or some other shit instead where that's done million times finer. With that said, if you've got Far Harbour - check that out as early as possible.

purupuru

Learned
It's a dungeon crawler (like basically every other BGS game) with base-building and survival elements. There are other games that does the survival part better but those don't have nearly as many dungeons (or do they? I only played like one or two such games).
Actually the crafting and base building is part of the survival gameplay, a functional settlement is very helpful in keeping you supplied with food, water, ammo and medication. And to build the settlements you need to go dungeoneering so it's a valid gameplay loop, which is more than what most other Bethesda games have to offer. If Bethesda had the balls to remove all difficulty levels other than survival, make resources scarcer and cap the level at 30 (and adjust perk requirements and leveled lists accordingly) it would have been their best game since morrowind in spite of all the other glaring issues.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It's a dungeon crawler (like basically every other BGS game) with base-building and survival elements. There are other games that does the survival part better but those don't have nearly as many dungeons (or do they? I only played like one or two such games).
Actually the crafting and base building is part of the survival gameplay, a functional settlement is very helpful in keeping you supplied with food, water, ammo and medication. And to build the settlements you need to go dungeoneering so it's a valid gameplay loop, which is more than what most other Bethesda games have to offer. If Bethesda had the balls to remove all difficulty levels other than survival, make resources scarcer and cap the level at 30 (and adjust perk requirements and leveled lists accordingly) it would have been their best game since morrowind in spite of all the other glaring issues.

Yeah, it's not a bad game per se, but it is a shallow puddle with the breadth of an ocean.
The shooting is pretty satisfying and one has a lot to explore, but if one is expecting decent writing and role playing mechanics then one might as well boot up New Vegas or the Black Isle games.
It's basically Junk Food. If one is looking just to shoot some shit and turn one's mind off for a bit, it's fine.
10 euros is actually a worthy price for it and one will get one's money worth. Well, unless one starts shitting and vomiting uncontrollably at the sight of the perk screen, but that's what refunds are for.

I found the settlement mechanics to be disappointing, to be honest. It's really half-baked, missing basic functionality one would expect from a management game (such as actually being able to know who is assigned to what job. A DLC does end up adding something like that, but even then it's crap and one shouldn't require a DLC for a basic fucking function).
I believe this is a pity, because rebuilding civilization is peak fallout. Hell, that was the premise of the NCR.
It's just that the settlement mechanic feels really tacked on and doesn't at all fit in a game about some bloke trying to get his son back. It's also really goddamn buggy; NPCs have a phobia of doors for some reason, and apparently will steal your shit if you have it on display.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Razor It doesn't get deeper later (that I saw). In general, the gameplay is better than FNV but the content is ... not. The shooting is definitely better, and the weapon/armor mod systems are better (not good, but better). Even the stealth system is better in F4 and you can find some fun with it if you choose - I did. But don't expect level design to enable it with conveniently placed, comically oversized air vents.

I think you have to want to like F4 to get anything out of it. Your break-it-open-with-a-hammer approach implies your attitude is more impartial, which I can't fault, but shining too bright a light on F4 will extinguish any joy you might have wrung out of it otherwise. Recommend you let it go.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Is it me or is Cait a knock-off of Annah-of-the-Shadows?
I mean, tough girl, Irish (Annah was Scottish but to the uninitiated they sound the same), red hair, is a thief, bad upbringing, can be banged. Pretty damned similar.
There's also a surprising lack of Rule 34 for both of them. Apparently the internet doesn't like feisty red heads, and that's just irksome

This is more of a vertical slice I have experienced but for those who have done it completely- is it all just endless pew-pew in random themed dungeons? Are there no alternate solutions to locations like stealth or bullshitting your way through it?.

See that Settlement? You can craft it. You can also craft power armors. You can craft weapon modifications.

Face it, if Black Isle had wisest idea to add crafting to Fallout 1 & 2, they would be the most popular crpgs ever :smug:

The funny thing is Fallout 2 has an in for settlement building. The whole game is about you getting the GECK to rebuild your dying village; they had settlement building built into the story but they didn't do anything with it. Back when it came out I actually thought there would be some settlement building aspect because of the GECK and the picture from the manual showing a modern house that doesn't ever appear in the game, figured those were assets related to the GECK.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I will give Fallout 4 some credit concerning its factions; the Railroad in Fallout 4 is consistent with its appearance in Fallout 3, in that both Desdemona and Victoria Watts are sanctimonious and self-righteous cunts.
Fuck the Railroad.
Also, Brotherhood of Steel are now Adeptus Astartes, complete with hopping out of Vertibirds to purge the Mutant, the Raider and the Synth, making this the second time that Beth fucked up the BoS.

Razor

Arcane
Ah I see I seem to have found some of that famous patented Bethesda environmental storytelling I keep hearing so much about:

GVoJix6.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Those gnomes were a thing in Fallout 3 too. Guess it's Emil Pagliarulo's way of doing world building.

Razor

Arcane
Yeah I have actually seen them more then once.

heUPfJ0.png

I restarted it with Horizons (among other things) after the initial 3-4 hour vanilla test run. If you stick with the 30 level/30 perk max- survival mode thing it is balanced around, its actually kind of decent scavenger-survival shooter with some valid build options.

The writing of the base is absolute dogshit though. Its bizarre how Far Harbor actually has a sharp increase in quality. I tried to find out who wrote it but it still credits Emil as the lead which I will never believe he had a active role in it. Must be taking credit for someones else work.

Its pretty damning when a mod called "The Machine and Her" has way more interesting characters and plot developments then anything the base has. Except the part where
Agnis turned out to be a turbo homo and the other brave homo was trying to free her. I dont see why she could not have been just as easily a turbo autist to be selected for the Cortana rip-off program. Ehh, its current year I guess
Hell, I will admit that Kit actually grew on me and I still keep her around as a useful companion.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, Far Harbor is alright. The only thing that really irks me is that the main quest chain rail roads you pretty hard in the end. There's no reason why I shouldn't go back to Kasumi and tell her that
DiMA is planning on replacing someone with a Synth again
to horrify her enough to leave the Island.
Sure, the conflict between the Acadians, the Children of Atom and Far Harbor might not be resolved, but you aren't there to resolve their conflict, you're there for Kasumi, and there's a solution for dealing with the Acadians in the form of
Bringing in the Institute or the Brotherhood to wipe them out, which would result in Kasumi's death if she stays on the Island when they begin their assault.
It just felt like a really awkward and forced way to resolve the DLC.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, Far Harbor is alright. The only thing that really irks me is that the main quest chain rail roads you pretty hard in the end. There's no reason why I shouldn't go back to Kasumi and tell her that
DiMA is planning on replacing someone with a Synth again
to horrify her enough to leave the Island.
Sure, the conflict between the Acadians, the Children of Atom and Far Harbor might not be resolved, but you aren't there to resolve their conflict, you're there for Kasumi, and there's a solution for dealing with the Acadians in the form of
Bringing in the Institute or the Brotherhood to wipe them out, which would result in Kasumi's death if she stays on the Island when they begin their assault.
It just felt like a really awkward and forced way to resolve the DLC.
I also took issue with that quest node, it felt like the designers wanted to force you to resolve the faction conflict despite your bailing on it constituting a legitimate approach at that point. Though you can still call in external support after you've tied up the main quest if you want to.

But overall, yeah, Far Harbor's actually got decent narrative design for a change, it's a shame Beth didn't stay that course for Nuka World.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I actually liked Nuka World. Problem though is that if you want to experience everything properly you basically have to break character to become a raider boss and do a rehash of the Settlement mechanic, basically shitting over the already weak role playing aspects as well as undoing the settlements you've built up to begin with.

I get the idea is that being a raider is a sign of disillusionment and nihilism which plays into the ending, be it you nuke the Institute or get bogged down by your duties as Director, Sentinel, General or Toaster liberator, but it still really doesn't mesh all that well with the main questline.

What would have been interesting if you could beat the main questline as a raider and basically declare war on everyone in the commonwealth, but that would have required effort on Bethesda's part.

Gargaune

Magister
I actually liked Nuka World. Problem though is that if you want to experience everything properly you basically have to break character to become a raider boss and do a rehash of the Settlement mechanic, basically shitting over the already weak role playing aspects as well as undoing the settlements you've built up to begin with.

I get the idea is that being a raider is a sign of disillusionment and nihilism which plays into the ending, be it you nuke the Institute or get bogged down by your duties as Director, Sentinel, General or Toaster liberator, but it still really doesn't mesh all that well with the main questline.

What would have been interesting if you could beat the main questline as a raider and basically declare war on everyone in the commonwealth, but that would have required effort on Bethesda's part.
I was awfully disappointed with it and it's not like I went in with high expectations. I just thought that after the (relative!) writing incline of Far Harbor, Bethesda might continue on the same note with their final expansion, and yes, maybe even provide an alternative Raider faction to tie into the main quest. Instead, they went back to their old tricks, replete with making the player King of the Raiders right out the door and a literal theme park design, and sunk the fiction even lower than the base campaign.

It's like I said before, Far Harbor proves that Bethesda can write a decent plot, Nuka World proves they don't want to.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I was awfully disappointed with it and it's not like I went in with high expectations. I just thought that after the (relative!) writing incline of Far Harbor, Bethesda might continue on the same note with their final expansion, and yes, maybe even provide an alternative Raider faction to tie into the main quest. Instead, they went back to their old tricks, replete with making the player King of the Raiders right out the door and a literal theme park design, and sunk the fiction even lower than the base campaign.

It's like I said before, Far Harbor proves that Bethesda can write a decent plot, Nuka World proves they don't want to.
That's fair, personally I liked exploring the theme park and seeing how screwed up pre-war America is. But then I saw Advanced Power Armor in that display case and I got really annoyed.
I do agree that making the player a raider boss right off the bat was pretty ridiculous, especially once you've beaten the base game and already have titles. It's like that shit in Skyrim where you can be a thane of every Jarl (how does that even work) and Archmage, and Dragonborn, and a vampire lord, and a werewolf warrior...you get the idea, shit's stupid.
Nuka-World feels like it would have been better as its own thing, not a DLC, imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom