Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hero's Hour - Heroes of Might and Magic-inspired real-time strategy RPG

Mazisky

Magister
https://goblinzstudio.com/game/heros-hour/

https://af.gog.com/en/game/heros_hour?as=1649904300

Features:
  • Random map generation from 32 map types
  • 7 factions - 3 accessible in free version
    • each with 7 different creatures + upgrades
    • each with three unique town structures
    • 47 unique creature abilities
    • 9 additional elemental creatures
    • 7 rare boss monsters
  • Real-time combat
    • Give orders and change stances - or just watch!
  • Procedural town tech trees
    • Unique town perks as your town levels up
  • Level up your heroes
    • 14 classes, each with an exclusive skill
    • 28 secondary skills to level up
  • Duel game mode, with 30 short-form strategic challenges
  • Challenging but fair AI opponents
  • 53 spells
  • 120 artifacts
    • Unique artifact sets
  • ~30 adventure objects
  • True to the original gameplay
  • Tweaks to gameplay, like the infirmary system
  • Spanish translation (99%)
  • Tutorial

You can download the free version which is sort of Shareware, full game with just most factions locked

https://thingonitsown.itch.io/heros-hour

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Combat is basically like one of those autocombat shit online games. Outside of that is it copy of HoMM2 but with worse graphics and sounds. Completely pointless game.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
RNN85e.png

Hero's Hour is an accessible, yet-deep and content-rich Strategy Roleplaying Game. Take control of your hero, explore the world, build up your town, fight fast-paced battles, level up your hero and amass an army large enough to take out the opponents - before they take you out.

Turn Based + Real Time
While exploring the overworld and developing your town and army are both turn-based, giving you time to think and plan out your next moves, in battles your units will do the best to fight for themselves in real time - all hundreds of them. Cast spells and give attack orders to swing the tide of battle - or just sit back and watch as your might unfolds.

Procedural Generation
Hero's Hour brings impactful procedural generation to the strategy game formula, ensuring that every time you play, there will be new areas to explore and strange buildings to enhance your hero or army. Seek out obelisks to start you on small procedural quests that send you around the world. You won't even be able to use the same build order each time you play the same faction.

Features
  • 8 factions with special mechanics, strengths and weaknesses
  • 16 hero classes, with a special skill each
  • 29 common hero skills
  • 98 units (without counting upgrades)
  • 60 unique unit abilities
  • 145 artifacts
  • 55 spells & abilities
  • Dozens of impactful map buildings
  • Local "hotseat" multiplayer
  • Co-op with other players or even with the AI
There's a lot of stuff in this little game!

Being on the faster side compared to other turn based strategy games, you may even be able to finish the hotseat games that you start!

Last edited by a moderator:

Endemic

Arcane
Interesting that they went with real time combat, seems like that could get messy with larger numbers.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Heroes of Might and Magic with procedurally generated levels? That's really just HoMM3, isn't it? Looks awful visually, but at the same time, it looks like it could be fun, since with real-time combat its definitely quite different than any Heroes game or Heroes-clone I've ever seen.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
He he, that combat. I could almost visualize every unit being moved around by a 4 year old armed with a controler.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Interesting that they went with real time combat, seems like that could get messy with larger numbers.

It's not just messy, it looks like every unit moves randomly, and of course, they all got epileptic spasms.
Looks as close as mobile garbage as you can get.

If you want to simplify the combat, Warlords III is all you need to look at and it's pretty well made at that.

I forgot, another great Role-Playing Game game game...

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
combat can be fun. It seems that it might be hard to deploy big numbers, so your unit strength isnt just multiplier. Looks like in extreme case large frontline wouldnt be able to fully engage the enemy, while also denying your archers to get in range and shoot

Aemar

Arcane
It looks like crap. Why settle for this junk when you can find the original games on GOG?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I played it a bit and I have mixed feelings. There's a demo if anyone else cares. Its not a 1:1 copy or strict improvement of an existing Heroes game, its got a mix of different elements and it works as a spiritual successor.
Towns spawn six units, all of which can be upgraded, but it also uses Heroes 4 system for some units, where you can choose a different unit in that town. In the town I picked, which was a modified version of Castle/knight towns, in the 5th slot, I could choose cavaliers or crusaders, one of which had the opportunity to move faster, the other was generally stronger. The top tier unit here was a griffon, curiously. Also, while this was the closest to a traditional Heroes town as I remember it, I haven't really played anything after 4. The rest of the towns, while the usual Heroes 3 fare, are vastly different to what they should be copying. I primarily fought against a town that used dwarves, which had dwarves that had guns and magi dwarves. Towns did not have any menu graphics, instead being simple build menus. Interestingly, if an enemy is close enough to a town, the castle walls appear should you attack.
Heroes fight in battle, and can die, like in 4. Unlike 4, you can only have 1 to a party. Heroes can of course retreat, but unique to this game, so can units. Recruitable heroes are tied heavily to the town they were summoned in, and it seems likely you can only recruit heroes that are directly aligned with the town they're associated with. Level-ups increase skills, which function as a reverse pyramid, increase skills at the top, and you can increase skills lower down. These skills range from typical Heroes ones, like scouting or money-making; To unusual ones, like decreasing the cost of buildings or units; To combat ones, like directly increasing the hero's abilities to one aspect of units combat abilities.

The good:
Keeps/treasuries combine the banks, having resources to pillage, and unit dwellings.
Units can move on their own.
Garrisons, that is garrisons on the map, automatically get troops whenever you conquer them. I don't think this comes from your heroes stocks.
New neutral units gradually spawn on the map, AND they create resources when they do. Also, all armies create resources when they're defeated.
There are neutral roving armies on the map. They don't steal anything, they're just there for punching practice.
Combat is interesting. I haven't really figured out much of a strategy yet, but the game manages the chaos well. You have the usual spells, and you can pause the combat. The game protects itself from going really crazy thanks to a weird limit system I don't understand. You have a variable amount of unit points, and units are worth anywhere from 1 point to around 10. Frequently these points were in the 150 range. Your units will gradually spawn in (you have no choice where), so this only chooses your opening salvo.
There are some interesting spells, one of which I had to deal with the most was a spell that turned units into frogs. There was seemingly no way for me to counter this, and the AI without fail used this on my crossbowmen.
For those of you worried about proc-gen, there are a limited number of pre-made maps. I can't speak to their quality, I only did a proc-gen map.
In town combat, you don't get a catapault, instead your units literally tear through the walls.

The bad:
After quitting a long session the game basically crashed my entire system. I have 16 GB of ram on my machine, and this hungry bastard wanted all of it. Now, this was only a problem when I quit, but still. Really screwed up the computer for that session, going as far as to make everything slow. This can be solely put at the foot of the author, since it seems like this is an entirely original engine. I suspect this is some memory leakage in-game, probably to do with fights.
I was on the lowest difficulty setting, and while the AI wasn't beating me, it was pretty close. This might be because the map didn't really give me the proper resources. The AI had access to the latter units far, far faster than I did.
At the start of a week unit dwellings create a caravan, which automatically goes to whichever hero is nearest it.
Short water tiles seem to be completely broken, as I nearly lost the map because the AI ran across one, and I chased after him, assuming it was just an improperly done river. Nope, actual, freaking, water.
This game can really be described as a Heroes-like, far, far too much. The overmap, outside of the exceptions, is exactly like Heroes 3.
The obelisks don't tell you things based on pictures, they tell you things based on text.
The character artstyle. The heroes all look awful, and the units don't look much better. In motion they do that ugly little jumping on each leg people animate a character doing when they don't want to animate walking. While I feel like the overworld artstyle is decent, there's no redeeming the characters.

I can't really comment on the proc-gen of the engine yet, I've only played one game.
I like it, but I can't really recommend it yet. There's no guarantee that this game will stop at 16 GB, and will only try to consume more and more RAM. If he fixes that, I think it could be a pretty good game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The proc gen meme has gone too far. It needs to die.

Is there so much procedural generation in games now because devs have gotten lazy, or some other reason?

Probably laziness, lack of level design expertise, lack of funds (a level designer wants money even if he's willing to work at minimum wage - creating a whole game's worth of levels is many hours of work), and current trends being very favorable towards proc gen so many young designers don't even consider an alternative.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
id expect that writing generator takes more time than designing and fine tuning levels. Although it depends how many levels you want to make I guess? For indie title you dont expect huge world. In return of investing in generator you get endless title.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
id expect that writing generator takes more time than designing and fine tuning levels. Although it depends how many levels you want to make I guess? For indie title you dont expect huge world. In return of investing in generator you get endless title.

Depends on the expertise of the people involved. If the lead guy of the project is a programmer, coding a level generator comes natural to him. Designing levels by hand is more of an artistic skillset.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Depends on the expertise of the people involved. If the lead guy of the project is a programmer, coding a level generator comes natural to him. Designing levels by hand is more of an artistic skillset.
Even coding a level generator takes a bit of an artistic skillset if you want it to be decent. Some games clearly have a worse level generator than others, and it is possible for one to make something pretty good. Mostly on the roguelike level though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Perusing itchio I just saw this (was looking at the horror contest entries and somehow this was in the list). Watched part of a vid.

Has anyone here tried it? Dunno why "combat" sort of reminds me of Defender of the Crown in an odd way. Ah, I never tried that newest version of that game.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Yeah, finished a single "campaign". It clones HOMM in virtually everything, except two things: factions which have more of a Dominions feel to them (mosty units, some minor city building details); RTS combat which is arguably the most enjoyable element, which ultimately even got me to play this game, and as such is the only one worth expanding on.

Basically each combat sequence allows deployment of set number of units given point value, each single one of them represented on the battlefield, which will then, along with the hero unit, proceed to automatically duke it out. Combat control is effectively reduced to casting spells and optionally giving a brush-stroke general direction to unit blobs. The main appeal in all of this is somewhat similar to Total War - watching swarms of units clash against each other, but ultimately, aside from spells, battles need little direction and mostly play out by themselves, which in turn makes them boring after a while.

On top of that, AI on strategy level is rather mediocre - while it manages to move around quite reasonably (including sailing), it often misses opportunities to grab unguarded locations, making the strategic gameplay rather dull as well. Overall a decent proof of concept, but not really a worthwhile game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
My experience with the game, which I haven't really expanded past the things I said in the thread in GRPG, tends to concur with Van-d-all's. The strategic layer of it is near identical to Heroes. Takes a bit from Heroes 4 in that creatures can wander around on their own and there are caravans. One interesting change was that treasuries and unit dwellings were merged together, which I felt was cool since most treasuries weren't the most interesting things in Heroes. Only played as the Castle town, I think its the only town close to a Heroes experience. The enemy actually had me outclassed in the early game, as he managed to quickly bullrush me a few weeks in, and he also had like level 4 or 5 unit dwellings when I barely had 3. Despite this, I managed to handily defeat the guy in my first playthrough. Otherwise, its got Heroes 4-style town unit dwellings with upgrades, up to a level of 6. Its lacking polish too. A specific issue is there's no town screen, just buttons for building buildings. There were also a few terrain glitches going on, accidentally trapping one of my heroes away from my town early on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1656780/view/2886234877171229497

Lorekeeper - devblog
We are happy to introduce you 5 news building!

c26a72785e5308bdc53e28929747b8427f0728fa.png

• Visiting the Dark Carnival allows you to fight a non-lethal battle against clowns. Entering costs 1000 gold. Winning earns you 2 artifacts.
  • Visiting the Tower of Mages allows your hero to exchange part of their army for boosts to their spellcasting abilities
  • Visiting the Forlorn Cloister allows your hero to give up their life and become an undead hero
  • Visiting the Volcanic Cult allows your hero to transform part of their army into demons
  • Visiting the Cloud Palace allows your hero to wish either for war or for peace. War brings all enemy heroes to

These buildings are actually quite central to the Lorekeeper theme. They're all startlingly impactful and terrifyingly magical. And any of them spawning on your map will offer quite a different gameplay experience.

955783c12a8950f4e84796ea034f52a88351e444.jpg

The list of other elements we added and improved:
  • Hero skill trees updated
  • Graphical and UX improvements
  • +3 skills per tree
  • 20 new artifacts
  • 2 new artifact sets :
    - Echoes set is a quirky might-focused set that makes any of your dying units create a horrifying wraith that fights for 10 extra seconds
    - Widle's set is a quirky magic-focused set that makes your Earth spells turn enemies into golden statues, and that regenerates mana whenever you pick up gold (such as the gold gained from golden statues)
  • Reworked reserve system (Now works off "unit power", rebalancing how strong different sizes of units are in reserves)

02d959e435681cb9b795ee944fa22634494b41ff.png

Another announcement!

907091af905f8f439fa7e23029d19c9cf0c4e239.png

A couple weeks ago, I announced that Lau the Sound Goblin (aka Lautaro Ariño) was redoing the music and sounds in the game. Well, he's now also come on to work full time on the game. Supposedly, he's as skilled with code as he is with music, which sounds absolutely amazing. It'll take some time until he's up to date with the Hero's Hour codebase, but once we're there, development will really take off.

Everyone, say welcome Lau!

It's been a couple of weeks of focusing on improving the base game, with more gameplay features, better balancing and higher stability. And now, we return to focus on the LAST GOAL ON THE ROADMAP:

SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN

And then, once that's done, with more sound effects, better polish and higher stability, Hero's Hour will release on steam, and then the next chapter in the Hero's Hour development will start.

I really want an 11th faction to join the HH roster - and for this faction to not be designed by me, but rather by ALL of the community. But that's a post launch thing, and I'll update you on that once we get closer.

Anyway. It's been a mad couple of weeks; I'm a bit tired, but also super excited for the future. In Danish we say, "blod på tanden".

See you all around the Hero's Hour community!

- Benjamin "ThingOnItsOwn" Hauer

Join us at discord: https://discord.gg/AHVr5r3PPY

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom