Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ad&d fans

Pump your breaks, boy, you're fixing to go to war with a whole generation of hard ass THAC0 niggaz.

shows off prison tattoos

This here ol'e man-o-war has been fightin' that war since afore you were born (well, registered on the Codex, at least), boy.

(Also I wrote a longass segment shitting on AD&D in my RTWP-review, so it's far too late to jump down from that soap box)

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
Clearly, full voiceover is absolutely necessary for an RPG to sell nowadays. Good thing Deadfire had it. WotR will certainly flop since it only has partial VO.
AtnnuWy.png

Readher

Savant
Clearly, full voiceover is absolutely necessary for an RPG to sell nowadays. Good thing Deadfire had it. WotR will certainly flop since it only has partial VO.
AtnnuWy.png
that's cute
image.png
A great game, but not really a typical cRPG. Even BG3 has half the peak D:OS2 has. D:OS2 has that appeal where someone's girlfriend who's not really into games would end up playing coop with them and inflate the player numbers that PoE, PF or even BG3 don't. That's my take on it anyway.

Readher

Savant
Even BG3 has half the peak D:OS2 has.
because it isn't released yet.
Doesn't matter, EA games sell like mad nowadays. You'd expect something like BG3 to have a higher peak than D:OS2 since it's a much bigger name, EA release or not.
full voiceover is absolutely necessary for an RPG to sell nowadays

:what:
That's what Soyer said at a game dev conference. He said they were "forced" to do it since D:OS2 set a new standard with it.

Readher

Savant
A great game, but not really a typical cRPG.

:nocountryforshitposters:
It's not a typical cRPG because uhh... reasons!
It's closer to older cRPGs than rtwp trash is lmao
I don't recall older cRPGs putting so much emphasis on environmental combat or coop.

I bought it during EA you retard
Yeah, from Larian's website as a "late PayPal backer". It wasn't available for purchase on Steam until the game's launch. Compare that to BG3 where EA launched on Steam day 1 and had a huge ass banner on the store and all.

Codex Year of the Donut

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't recall older cRPGs putting so much emphasis on environmental combat or coop.

That's even a narrower more retarded definition of cRPG than CohhCarnage's one, which is truly something. Cohh is using that term only for party-based isometric RPGs, a veritable headslapper, especially considering the first cRPGs were predominantly 1st person view blobbers.

Readher

Savant
Yeah, from Larian's website as a "late PayPal backer". It wasn't available for purchase on Steam until the game's launch. Compare that to BG3 where EA launched on Steam day 1 and had a huge ass banner on the store and all.
instead of making this post you could have just went to a search engine and not looked stupid
https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/22/divinity-original-sin-ii-is-coming-to-steam-early-access/
Sorry, I was clearly wrong. I can't really believe that the peak on actual launch was 100k higher than on EA launch. What the fuck happened there.

Codex Year of the Donut

That's even a narrower more retarded definition of cRPG than CohhCarnage's one, which is truly something. Cohh is using that term only for party-based isometric RPGs, a veritable headslapper, especially considering the first cRPGs were predominantly 1st person view blobbers.
Outside of the codex it is used in a more restricted fashion, but that typically includes so-called 'blobbers'. It tends to exclude action-oriented RPGs. I assume it's because the former tends to be more mechanically heavier than the latter.
But it's a fuzzy line to draw, where would you place e.g., Daggerfall?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Probably nowhere. As I see it the term lost relevancy long, long time ago. It used to differentiate computer RPGs since back in the 70s and 80s vast majority of RPG fans played table tops.

Today it's the other way around. In fact we should be saying "tRPGs" instead when talking about pen and paper D&D, Pathfinder and such.

Elzair

Cipher
Today it's the other way around. In fact we should be saying "tRPGs" instead when talking about pen and paper D&D, Pathfinder and such.
If that is true, we should call Witcher 3, AC:O, Cyberpunk 2077, TOW, Skyrim, FO4, etc. RPGs, and PoE, Pathfinder, etc. TBRPGs since the most popular RPGs are action-based.

Readher

Savant
Clearly, full voiceover
:deathclaw:
The game doesn't have that. Have you even played it ?
That's the entire point. Sawyer claimed that after D:OS2, there is an expectation that RPGs must have full VO and Deadfire wouldn't sell without it. WotR doesn't have it, yet judging by the numbers we have, it did much better than Kingmaker and Deadfire and even eclipsed PoE1. Clearly full VO is not required, and it won't save your game if the base is shit either.

Codex Year of the Donut
Probably nowhere. As I see it the term lost relevancy long, long time ago. It used to differentiate computer RPGs since back in the 70s and 80s vast majority of RPG fans played table tops.

They're referred to as "ttrpgs"
If that is true, we should call Witcher 3, AC:O, Cyberpunk 2077, TOW, Skyrim, FO4, etc. RPGs, and PoE, Pathfinder, etc. TBRPGs since the most popular RPGs are action-based.
The difference isn't anywhere near as pronounced. Codex has a heavily skewed view as to how popular tabletop RPGs are.
Do you know how many copies a product has to sell to get into the 'Adamantine badge' category -- the highest selling category -- on DriveThruRPG(the most popular outlet for tabletop RPG products)?

Yeah, 5000 copies is considered a top selling product in tabletop land.
How many products on DriveThruRPG are in that category? Well...
Number-of-prodcuts-vs-Medal-1.png

34. 34 products out of 107,000 on DriveThruRPG have sold 5,000 or more copies.
The 'tabletop renaissance' is a myth.

Codex Year of the Donut
Clearly, full voiceover
:deathclaw:
The game doesn't have that. Have you even played it ?
That's the entire point. Sawyer claimed that after D:OS2, there is an expectation that RPGs must have full VO and Deadfire wouldn't sell without it. WotR doesn't have it, yet judging by the numbers we have, it did much better than Kingmaker and Deadfire and even eclipsed PoE1. Clearly full VO is not required, and it won't save your game if the base is shit either.
You can't really compare sales data that are years apart, the market grows too rapidly.
e.g., Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a higher peak concurrent player count than Skyrim.

Deadfire sold poorly. Pillows 1? No way.

And yes, there is a large segment of the market that wants voice acting. I see it all the time in negative reviews on RPGs without it. Right up there next to people buying a game and leaving a negative review for it not being in their irrelevant language.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think full VO can help a lot but the lack of it doesn't hurt you a lot if the rest of your game is gud. And doesn't save you if it isn't.

Not even a full cast of Hollywood A-listers would've turned Numanuma into a smash hit is what I'm saying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom