Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2 and 3 are probably mixed up, don't you think?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
4g0HMJt.png

Respect to Owlcat.
This Amber E. Scott is the same from Siege of Dragonspear?
She did some of the writing for the Paizo module the game is based on. And her inserts are my least favorite part of the game so far, as expected.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wouldn't say Fallout is dead, the great thing about post-apo is how it's all grounded in the real world locations and history, so that gives you near infinite amount of twists you can apply to the formula and keep it fresh. Wasteland 3 moving to a winter-y setting was a seemingly small change but it made a big difference.

deuxhero

Arcane
This Amber E. Scott is the same from Siege of Dragonspear?
She did some of the writing for the Paizo module the game is based on. And her inserts are my least favorite part of the game so far, as expected.

Wrote the entire first module, possibly some of the overall plot/characters as well. It's the reason I was never interested in WotR, not even at 75% off sale, despite enjoying Kingmaker.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wouldn't say Fallout is dead, the great thing about post-apo is how it's all grounded in the real world locations and history, so that gives you near infinite amount of twists you can apply to the formula and keep it fresh. Wasteland 3 moving to a winter-y setting was a seemingly small change but it made a big difference.
It's simply a fact(one which gamedevs seem to not understand): Snow makes every game better.

Sacibengala

Prophet
It's simply a fact(one which gamedevs seem to not understand): Snow makes every game better.
Yeah, just like it did in the eighties.

Gerrard

Arcane
So this is the moment where CDProjekt starts making a game based on Neuroshima and hires Chris!
Oh wait, wrong timeline.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Fallout is dead in a sence its foundation - fear of nuclear war is dead.
There are no global powers that oppose each other due ideology.
US won't bomb China cause then it will go bunkrupt immediately.
China won't bomb US cause same reason.
War of tomorrow will be done with bacteriological weapon and sabotage.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I get what you're saying, but medieval games somehow aren't dead even though we're not fighting with swords anymore. Same goes here. All they have to do is take the basic formula, put a spin on it to add a bit freshness, and it could be fine addition to the franchise, if stupid people aren't making it (which is a big if obviously).

Fallout:Siberia, where you're fighting wild mutated babushkas and during cold nights at campfire you're drinking Nuka-Vodka with your trusty bear companion. I'd play that.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I get what you're saying, but medieval games somehow aren't dead even though we're not fighting with swords anymore. Same goes here, all they have to do is take the basic formula, put a spin on it to add a bit freshness, and it could be fine addition to the Franchise, if stupid people aren't making it (which is a big if obviously).

Fallout:Siberia, where you're fighting wild mutated babushkas and during cold nights at campfire you're drinking Nuka-Vodka with your trusty bear companion. I'd play that.

Me too, especially if babushkas have kalashes instead of arms

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I get what you're saying, but medieval games somehow aren't dead even though we're not fighting with swords anymore.
The thing with fantasy is that it is all about one person and his skill in combat against the world, enemies and harsh environment both. It's very relatable and universal, especially since it's also how we play a game: one person and his keyboard and mouse / tactical skills against virtual enemies and dangers. It puts the player at the center of it all. It's easy to get into if the game gives the player and character a good motivation to fight, a good opposition. Same goes for FPSes and the superhero genre.

A post-nuclear setting is much more abstract. It's not just about the motivations of one man against others, it's about buying into a world that could potentially be our future, a world ravaged by a man-made technological weapon. This puts humanity's ability to destroy itself front and center. It's much harder to relate to, unless your make the setting an afterthought and center the game solely on the PC's motivation against his enemies. But by doing so, the setting becomes nothing more but a coat of paint.

So basically a post-nuclear setting requires buying into the nuclear danger and looking to explore it and its consequences if it became real. It's more dependant on how we feel IRL about such a threat, than fantasy which is about our eternal connection to the past and tradition. Fantasy is never out of date, as our origins are always a draw for us. Post-apocalypse has to adapt to what threat we think is likely and preoccupies us, and nuclear war is not at the forefront of our current worry about our fate. Biological and corporate threats seem more likely to be part of our future, and this is why zombies and cyberpunk are prevalent these days. Our current world with COVID-19 merges both worries together nicely, and I bet we'll see more settings exploit such a threat in the future: viruses, variants, vaccines, mutations, corporate experimentation on the population, diminishing fertility, propaganda, multiple versions of the truth, corporate techno-medical political regimes, social control and unrest, etc.

mondblut

Arcane
Fallout is dead in a sence its foundation - fear of nuclear war is dead.
There are no global powers that oppose each other due ideology.
US won't bomb China cause then it will go bunkrupt immediately.
China won't bomb US cause same reason.
War of tomorrow will be done with bacteriological weapon and sabotage.

That was kinda the point of fallout to begin with, with its "retrofuturistic" gimmick. It's not so much "ree, nuclear war is bad" as it is "lol, look at those 50s boomers and their silly nuclear scare".

Were it grimdark modurn srs business, it wouldn't fly even in 1997.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That was kinda the point of fallout to begin with, with its "retrofuturistic" gimmick. It's not so much "ree, nuclear war is bad" as it is "lol, look at those 50s boomers and their silly nuclear scare".
This is in part true, I think, because it's harder to deal and have fun with a subject when you feel threatened by it right now.

It's easier to deal with a source of threat when you're somewhat removed from it, in time and in emotion. Easier if there's a somewhat parodic and comedic approach to it, after the threat feels somewhat defused. But this still allows you to reflect on it seriously while playing, even if the approach is less serious than it could be and more imaginative than it would be, you're still engaging with those themes and the consequences of the threat.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Ismaul said:
The thing with fantasy is that it is all about one person

Spot a popamoler.

For straight people, it's about one party :smug:
I'm talking about the motivations that drive the actions you do in the game (and motivate you to play it). They're often either centered on the individual, or on protecting a culture/tradition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom