Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Plot driven games for a noob

Arbiter

Scholar
Why do you want your wife involved in your hobby? Isn't that sort of a big point of having a hobby? To get away from the wife?
Why would I want to get away from my better half?

Higher Animal

Arcane
I remember getting my mom to play ff7, she had no idea what she was doing and quit after a while but it was a cool thing to share.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After a long discussion we have decided to give BG1 a try in co-op mode. Which version would you recommend for that: vanilla, EE, BGT or EasyTutu?
EE, absolutely.

Everything else would push totally new people away by being needlessly difficult to set up.

Either way, that's kind of a daring first attempt :lol:
BG1 has MANY problems, especially for new players.

Character creation is basically "reroll 150 times until you got 18 often enough".
First hours are very difficult for any character who isn't a fighter.
Thus, I'd really recommend you to recommend her to pick something melee-capable or at least very well armored.
Even then, getting 1-hit-rekt just happens early on.

I don't know how enjoyable that game is for anyone not into the number crunch & character leveling aspect.
Though, if she does enjoy that game, you're golden and can probably throw anything at her :lol:

On the bright side, there is Minsc. And Boo.
Tends to motivate people.

Codex Year of the Donut
Life is Strange.

Not even joking. The sequels are pure garbage, first one was surprisingly good. The game starts off as you'd expect and does get really strange. The teenage drama stuff is easily the worst part(and the part they decided to focus the sequels on.)
It doesn't fall into the trap of most modern adventure games of being cutscene heavy and most of the story is told through the player exploring it themselves.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Life Is Strange, The Sea Will Claim Everything, Kentucky Route Zero, Little Misfortune, The Longest Journey, Syberia, What Remains of Edith Finch, Sanitarium, To The Moon, Unawoved.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Arbiter is your wife familiar with Game of Thrones or any of ASoIaF books? If yes, then A Game of Thrones RPG by Cyanide studios would be a great pick.

It's a pretty easy game and has multiple difficulty modes, it doesn't have much in terms of builds complexity, and has excellent plot.

Verylittlefishes i'm serious. It's a decent storyfag rpg and a good entry point for Bioware/Obsidian style games.

Terenty

Liturgist
Have you heard about It Takes Two, the best coop game ever made that came out this year?

Arbiter

Scholar
Arbiter is your wife familiar with Game of Thrones or any of ASoIaF books? If yes, then A Game of Thrones RPG by Cyanide studios would be a great pick.

It's a pretty easy game and has multiple difficulty modes, it doesn't have much in terms of builds complexity, and has excellent plot.

My wife read the Game of Thrones. Before she had a chance to read A Clash of Kings I bought her Dune instead to read in preparation for the upcoming movie.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Might I suggest the first Dune game if she likes the book? Its more based on the Lynch film, but nevertheless its a pretty good adventure game with strategy elements thrown in.
Also, I'd suggest the EE. Yeah, it adds some bad characters, but it works fine out of the box and if its too hard there's a god mode...er...story mode.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Return of the Obra Dinn. The mechanics are extremely simple. All you have to do is tell her to use WASD and everything past that is pretty self-explanatory. Really the only thing you do in the game is observe and try to piece together what the story is. So in a sense it's a very "casual" game, but it's also a masterpiece.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Return of the Obra Dinn. The mechanics are extremely simple. All you have to do is tell her to use WASD and everything past that is pretty self-explanatory. Really the only thing you do in the game is observe and try to piece together what the story is. So in a sense it's a very "casual" game, but it's also a masterpiece.
I agree RotOD is a masterpiece, but I think one needs a solid understanding of gaming conventions in order to fully appreciate all the original design space it explores.

DraQ

Arcane
Syberia might be a good option. It's pretty charming and atmospheric, a traditional point'n'click adventure so no dexterity required, non-violent, pretty easy, but at the same time has some puzzles that are not entrenched in derpy videogame-y logic, has female protagonist.

BG1 has MANY problems, especially for new players.

Character creation is basically "reroll 150 times until you got 18 often enough".
First hours are very difficult for any character who isn't a fighter.
Thus, I'd really recommend you to recommend her to pick something melee-capable or at least very well armored.
Even then, getting 1-hit-rekt just happens early on.
Apart from that it's honestly p. shit.
:M

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Walking Dead pulled me in far more than I expected it to. I actually just got the final one in the last sale and have them all installed to play through soon.

The timers on decision making in the game are a great feature imo, because it makes you go with your gut, but if you would rather play together with her and be able to discuss your dialogue choices, you can actually disable the timer with cheat engine

Cosmic

Literate
Undertale has "combat" sequences, it's easy from beginning to end, and is plot-driven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom